Autopsy Sydney Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or does Adelaide thumping GWS make you feel better about last night?

It also scares me a little - they look very very good. And without Tex.....
Pretty impressive considering teams stole their 2 best forwards (Tippett and Gunston) plus their 2 best key defenders (Davis and Bock) for stuff all return. Then they lost Dangerfield on top of that, plus they lost additional draft picks in the Tippett saga. Phenomenal list management from the Crows, who have built an extremely powerful squad despite all of the above

Out: UnSwanslike performances.
In: Opposition out-Sydneying Sydney

FMD

Get ready because your going to hear or see it in overdrive this week. It is the biggest load of tripe of all time. You either turn up and compete or you don't.

As far as out Sydneying Sydney Port were great and would have been robbed if our intensity in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter and Buddy's impact somehow turned things around and we got over the line. They deserved their win and they got it. The only detrimental thing i would say about them is Robbbie Gray is the most overrated bloke at their club and is a shitman of the highest order with his little cheap shot methods because he can't actually get a kick. Bum.

Under done. Yep, depth poor. Yep.

But bog was Ryder despite his hack disposals

Naismith completely under done and Tippett in no man's land hearing footsteps

Cameron must be in the plans. Naismith needs some NEAFL.

Tippett needs to throw it around in the contest as #1 ruck

Edwards for Robinson, Melican probably worthy to free up Rampe, Mills on Young was poor, get Mills more mid time. Aliir for Laidler

What's with our players getting in each other's way? Both in defence and attack! Is this a communication/chemistry problem within the team? OR we just don't know how to space out properly.

I swear, for half a dozen of Foote's possessions he only got the ball because he was in the way of a Swans player

And then on top of that he was definitely in the way a couple of times without getting possession

What's with our players getting in each other's way? Both in defence and attack! Is this a communication/chemistry problem within the team? OR we just don't know how to space out properly.

Its *en annoying

Maybe its the small training ground :p

I swear, for half a dozen of Foote's possessions he only got the ball because he was in the way of a Swans player

And then on top of that he was definitely in the way a couple of times without getting possession

Its ****en annoying

Maybe its the small training ground :p

I get so mad watching our players block each other off or causing spills that lead to a goal for the opposition when watching live. Makes no sense.

I've read a number of people saying we were underdone because our season finished 5 weeks later, meaning less preseason.

Can someone please explain why the 2 players who left our club, Tom Mitchell and Toby Nankervis, managed to be close to best on ground for their teams, when their season finished at the same time as the rest of our players? Perhaps it is due to poor preparation from the Swans.
Likewise playing in a GF didn't seem to affect the Bulldogs unduly.

If we're going to play with Reid, franklin and tippet all in the forward half we need 3-4 really quick high pressure types around them for when it hits the deck. Ideally it'd be paps, Gary, Jack and another but that isn't possible for a while yet. Hayward might be worth a debut as he looked a likely type in JLT with Jack and Hewitt/Florent. Cunningham and Towers can't make the tackle and their pressure acts are low. This was critical to our success last year and if we have it next week against the dogs we're a chance I reckon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Franklin and Reid worked ok together up forward, seemed in sync, positioned themselves in reasonable spots, timed their leads, got some separation from each other etc. but everyone else playing through the forward line looked lost, they're off in their positioning or getting in each others way or accidentally ruining their teammates marking attempts, bringing their opponents into the contest when they should be staying back, leading to early/too late etc.
It's a bit of a mess. Don't get me wrong sometimes our mids absolutely butcher it going forward, but it's not always their fault... sometimes it's because the 'lost' forwards aren't in good spots to start with or reading the play well enough to get themselves into a spot to at least impact a contest, the amount of times the Port players were in the right spot for a spillage but ours weren't were numerous, or the Port defender read the play and knew where the ball was going to be kicked but our forward ran off into no mans land/out of the kickers vision etc.

Our forward line was a little better last year, because Papley, Heeney, Franklin, plus to a lessor extent McGlynn & Rohan, kind of knew what they were doing....where to stand, where to run, how to space themselves out etc.
While most those guys are out maybe we should be replacing them with guys who at least know how to work around a forward 50. E.g if there is no great form difference that demands selection between a 'fringe forward' or a 'fringe mid' and the role you're trying to fill is up forward, maybe just picking the forward would be the better instead?
Plonking out of form and out of position players like Towers, Foote, Cunningham in the forward line was very odd. Maybe the fringe forward is just as out of form, but still, purely because it's his natural position, he's gotta more likely to put himself in a better spot in that one or two extra contests and maybe that's the difference in the end.

Of course an actual forward structure would help too! But even then it will never function properly with having 3-4 guys, who know what they're doing down there, and work together well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or does Adelaide thumping GWS make you feel better about last night?

It also scares me a little - they look very very good. And without Tex.....
We made Adelaide look very, very ordinary in a certain final last year. We had it in the bag by quarter time.

Six months is a long time in showbiz but I wouldn't be too worried just yet.

We were just unprepared. Best we learn this lesson early in the season than later. We got beaten in all areas, midfield, attack, defence. They were just better prepared and wanted it more. Blokes like Mills, Towers, Naismith didn't turn up.

If our bottom 5 raise we'll be in a much better place
I do not get this "unprepared " thing.

They are professionals. They continued to train during the off season. They are all of at least modest intelligence. They are paid very well. They would be under no illusions as to the relentless intensity of every single game of senior AFL.

How can any professional team be "unprepared "?

Couldn't agree more

This unprepared crap is tiring

They had all summer off ffs

It's a thing apparently! So is the poor form after a bye.
But we've agreed we have poor list management, need to replace Beatson, our top end is taking too much of the cap, should still have Tom Mitchell & Nankervis. Time to move on!

Some perspective please people:

1996- lost our first two games

2005- started the season 2-4

2006- started the season 1-3

2014- started the season 1-3

All these seasons have something in common.

The season is not lost.

The season is not lost.
At last an intelligent use of statistics. Playing in finals definitely affects the early game performance of teams the following season. As for the Bulldogs winning they played a very poor side. Teams that finished out of the eight tend to win early games the following season against teams that have played deep into September the previous season.

The season is not lost.

Surely noone is saying the season is lost :O but using data like that when the team is vastly different from even 2014 is quite odd.

Never understood it.

Fine tackle on a straw man. Its all relative. Hinkley said they had four months to prepare. We didn't. It told on us in the last half.

Being a runner down (Robinson) showed as well...we were cooked in that last quarter.

Being a runner down (Robinson) showed as well...we were cooked in that last quarter.

He he he he!

Our unforgiving friends on here will tell you they are well paid professionals & we had 4 months to prepare for Dan Robinson doing his shoulder & being a man down! Too many excuses!

Come on man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back