Preview Sydney Swans vs the other W.A. team. You know, the purple one. A.K.A. The Troy Cook Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wet weather will suit Freo's defense more than our attack. If we are disciplined and slow things down to suit the conditions we should get this game. Depending on selection, there might be few WA boys in the team who would loved to shine in front of F&F so there is every chance they will be focused. Also Hickey no newcomer.

Wet weather will suit Freo's defense more than our attack. If we are disciplined and slow things down to suit the conditions we should get this game. Depending on selection, there might be few WA boys in the team who would loved to shine in front of F&F so there is every chance they will be focused. Also Hickey no newcomer.
Weather looks fine, maybe a tiny bit of rain earlier in the day.

Freo rightly go in as favourites at home but I give us a red hot go over there. We play the ground well and we don't have many injuries. Hickey coming back from illness against Darcy and Lobb a concern. Reid might be needed a lot in the ruck so I'd have a look at bringing McDonald in.

I like how Longmuir says Troy Cook was his favourite team mate.

AFL coaches are routinely seen as these master strategists. And yet time and again they fail to do the one thing that brings us down. Block the corridor. Longmuir is a smart cookie who does it. I reckon we’ll need a plan B on Saturday.
Great call.

Freo are very well coached and we need to be quicker to adapt.

After half time vs Tigers we changed our ball movement and made it more unpredictable which ultimately won us the game.

A quarter time change to That Plan B if Freo stop our movement for mine.

Freo hate the wet. Honestly we should be happy if it does rain

I concur with those who say ball movement will be key to beating Freo. A few weeks ago Carlton sliced open Freo's very impressive defensive system with their ball movement, both by hand and by foot. My suggestion: play Mills at HB.

I think Mills being that extra man back really helps our ball movement. I like him in that Dawson role. I always thought Dawson was key to our ball movement not so much because of his distribution by foot but because of his intercept marking. Knowing he was there gave our mids and HHFs the confidence to hold their positions up the ground, so we always had options ahead of the ball, whether it runners (McInerney, Florent, Papley) or talls (Buddy, McDonald, Heeney, Reid)

We have that deep intercepting player now in Paddy, but not one at that higher half back point who can set up our plays. As great as Mills is as a mid, I don't think he actually has as much of a bearing on whether our midfield gets on top or gets smashed. Both have happened this year both with and without Mills in the guts.

If Hickey is in, that might be all we do after a big win. I suspect Horse will want Cunningham back in sometime, as do I, but whether he was deemed good enough after coming on as sub, not sure. A few smaller fwds to look out for though, so I'd have him first in line if we bring any non-talls in. Say what you will about his form, he's the best option not currently in the starting 22. Maybe for Clarke, though I'd keep him in for the same defensive fwd role. Hayward and Stephens the ones that are on the cusp for me. Stephens probably according to the coaches, Hayward probably not (though he should be).

If Hickey doesn't make it, it might either be Logan in for Ladhams, or we elect to go smaller (unlikely), then Cunners, Campbell are in the frame for Ladhams.

Given Hickey hasn't looked like he did last year when in the team, which isn't a surprise, since he's another year older and battling issues - I think he needs to be raring to go. So I'm leaning towards - Out: Ladhams, Hayward and In: Logan, Cunningham. Ronke or Taylor as sub. Gives Campbell and Hayward guaranteed gametime to impress.

Last edited:
Word is Pearce only walked laps at his 'test' training last night. Means he won't play. Bit of a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's not as though tactics don't play a roll but people act like it's the determining factor. I think the reality is that game day tweaks are rarely what decides the result, it's how well a bunch of people are able to implement the way they try to play.

Imo we win this if we are able to hold our defensive shape well enough to put on the same level of pressure as last week and if we can break even enough in the centre bounce. We've been so on again off again this season but I hope we really hit some form and cruise into finals feeling confident and playing out best footy. I think we'll know by the end of the match if we are going to be a problem come finals

Nah we lose this cause we are so distracted by Buddy's contract
I truly believe the crap that's being written is outside noise and the boys would be paying it no mind.
I've read every article on this Buddy crap and I'm yet to be convinced it's anything more than one moronic fool of a media hack creating a story from nothing.

I truly believe the crap that's being written is outside noise and the boys would be paying it no mind.
I've read every article on this Buddy crap and I'm yet to be convinced it's anything more than one moronic fool of a media hack creating a story from nothing.
With what I've observed from Buddy, he could well come out, kick 5+ and celebrate each one with teammates like it's his first. He can get angry at times, but generally does the team thing, celebrates when others do something good, talks the team up over himself, even if he's kicked a bag. Even if he'd like some more money, don't think it should affect him or how his teammates regard him (pure adoration and respect from what I've seen).

The Clubs

Fremantle Dockers

Conceived in 1994, played their first game in 1995 season. Either the AFL felt the good people of W.A. deserved an alternative to the drug ridden, sociopathic Eagles, or they saw a market opportunity.

It was an abject lesson in how not to create a football club:

-a dirge of a club song ( the worst in the AFL)

-a cluttered, messy strip of 4 colours

-a coach who believed only in attack

-a nickname whose intellectual property was held by a USA company

-poor recruitment ( missed Andrew McLeod )

They stumbled through the following years, reaching a high point in 2013 with a grand final loss to Hawthorn (could happen to anyone). They began a decline, accelerated by a persistent, heavy injury burden, and a coach whose commitment to defence caused a Dementorsuck of souls from supporters. A penchant for trading in broken, culturally damaging players ( Hogan, Bennell, McArthy,) often at stupidly high trade cost, didn’t help.

They brought in a marketing guy as CEO ( what could possibly go wrong??). and became a stepping stone for executives to progress their careers, with FFC being incidental damage. Then, something happened!

They brought in Peter Bell, as Football Manager. Then Simon Garlick as CEO. They prioritised good culture over reputation. They brought in a new coach, a club legend who had acquired experience as an assistant at multiple successful clubs. There was competence. Their fans are still in shock.

Their recent drafting has been good. Their crackajack drafting years have been 2016 (Darcy, Cox, Brennan), 2017 (Brayshaw, Cerra, Meek ,Switkowski) and 2019 (Serong,Young, Henry). And Gold Coast has been a gold mine, with two first round picks for Lachie Weller, and Will Brodie as a salary cap dump they were almost paid to take. So, you can see, their rebuild is a couple of years ahead of ours. Brodie, Aish, Acres, Colyer, Clark, Lobb are all improved valuable imports.

Sydney Swans

What can you say about the Swannies?

Foundation club, first of the VFA, then, in 1897 a foundation club of the VFL. They won premierships in1909, 1918, 1933, then the famous 2005 and 2012 victories. We have greats such as Bobby Skilton, Paul Kelly and Adam Goodes. We have come to expect success, with a 2 year absence from the finals endured as an aberration.

2020 was a brilliant draft year for us, with McDonald, Campbell and Gulden. Paddy McCartin in the SSP draft has been a gift, though one that keeps us with our hearts in our mouths for him. Heeney and Mills should be in their prime, though both are held back a little by injury.

The Coaches

Well, if you believe Channel 9, John Longmire coaches both teams simultaneously. Clever guy! Both are: country boys, forwards who retired due to injury, decent, likeable blokes who don’t disrespect their opposition or bag their own players.

The Teams

Freo’s defence is their major strength. They are both talented and well-drilled, with good depth. Luke Ryan and Brennan Cox are smart and tough. They like the ball in Hayden Young’s hands, as he is a great long kick.

Their midfield, mainly led by hard-working Andrew Brayshaw, has improved with the addition of big-bodied Will Brodie. Meanwhile, the evergreen David Mundy ( 18 months older than our Lance) , offers some more protection to the lighter Serong and Brayshaw. Working out how to fit Fyfe into an effective midfield is a continuing issue. Sean Darcy is one of the comp.’s best rucks, giving good service to the mids.

Their forward line is their vulnerability. Taberner is often injured , and although he runs hard,, he can do some Haywardesque stuff-ups. They have depended on their small forwards-Schulz, Colyer, Fredericks and Walters .The Swannies backline hasn’t been the rock of previous seasons. Dane’s been struggling. Tom McCartin’s evolving into a good CHB, and Paddy is a great intercept defender. Our lack of a giant defender probably isn’t the problem vs Freo, although Lobb could cause problems.

Tom should take Tabs and rearrange when Lobb’s forward.. But our small defenders haven’t been great either. Harry C. should take Shulz, but I don’t know who has the speed for Fredericks and Colyer. Do we sacrifice Juzzy’s attacking flair? Can Errol’s smarts negate the access ?Our mids are inconsistent. Freo’s mids aren’t overly fast, but they can move the ball quickly. We are going to need first hands or defend really rapidly. Would you tag Brayshaw?

Overall

Freo has the wood on us in consistency and depth this season. If we can pressure the distribution of the ball inside their 50- by Young, Clark, and their wings then we can win. If they bring their pressure game, and we just bomb it in, we’re in trouble.

Both sides are coming off big wins against Victorian pretenders. Freo hope to break into the top two. Swannies to make top four.

Here’s hoping for a glorious Perth winter’s day, no injuries and a high quality game, with an insane Isaac Heeney mark and goal to win.
They call them the Purple Pain? Stain? Anyway how come they call them Purple if their colours are Blue?

A few interesting KPIs from the Footy Live app

Warner has 24 inside 50s over the past two rounds. The equal 4th of any player over a two week period on record.

Swans are averaging 92.4 points against top eight teams this season, ranked 1st.

Papley 17 score involvements last week was the equal second most of any Swan on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back