Preview Round 2, 2017: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against Port's mids...jeez I'm having nightmares about what the Dogs mids will do to us!
Their mids got spanked by Collingwood in clearances etc. No excuses this week

He didn't play any pre-season games, and applies zero pressure inside 50. He's one of the last blokes we need right now

We need SOMEONE to play that small forward role. If you have an option, I'm all ears.

We need SOMEONE to play that small forward role. If you have an option, I'm all ears.

Hewett wasn't great but he's usually a good crumber, and Kizza looks ace as a small forward. Throw in some (hopeful) improvement from Florent and Foote as well as a general lift from all of our mids, it shouldn't be too bad. It's not ideal given we have literally our 3 best small-medium forwards in Heeney, Papley and Rohan out; it kind of compounds the loss of McGlynn. But I don't think we should throw in unprepared players who won't contribute just because there's a position/role that needs to be filled. We've reached such a point of desperation with our depth that we just need players right now who are in form and can contribute something, regardless of what position or role they are suited for. That's why I say we keep Cunningham and Towers, even though I do not like them in our side at all. The fact is they played all 3 pre-season games, have already got a senior game under their belt, and are just ready to go. Same as Florent, Foote, Laidler etc.

I can't really remember any time in the Longmire era where we've won a game as severe underdogs

Generally if there's a game most are expecting us to lose we seem to play like s**t
Geelong at Simmonds last year springs to mind. Will be very tough to beat the Dogs but I just want our boys to have a red hot go. I reckon if we bring our contested game and not let them dominate uncontested possessions that our key forwards might be able to get hold of them. We really need Tippet to step up for this game. I would keep him forward 70% of the game. Trying to stay positive.

Last edited:
Collingwood played 10 times better than we did last weekend!
Mate you are kidding. They dominated in the ruck which we should also. They then butchered the mid field dominance with the most atrocious field kicking. The just gave the ball back to the Bulldogs in their forward line. Buckley put a tall forward line out there and watched as his career goes down the gurgler and as the ball was kicked everywhere but to them. Collingwood's mids are good going forward but they simply wont or cant run back strongly to defend. The Bulldogs carved them up on the rebound. A good example of what's good and wrong with the Collingwood midfield is Pendelbury. Very good going forward not so good defending against his opponent in the back 50.

One of the best write ups i've ever read on bigfooty... Well done.

Without Morris down back for us or a ruckman with any game time ready to be called up (Campbell likely to play but has missed a lot) I find it difficult to tip the dogs in this one.

Good luck at Etihad, it's been a while since we've played your boys there.

Swans by 8
Dunkley to be recalled for the sake of irony and kick 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both teams missing a fair few of each others best 22 (Morris, Roughead, Dickson, Wallis vs Rampe, Heeeny, McVeigh, Rohan, Papley) but our depth should see us have a stronger team in. You guys potentially have a huge chance at winning through your tall forwards alone. Buddy, Tippett and Reid against an inexperienced Roberts and Cordy doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence.

Both teams missing a fair few of each others best 22 (Morris, Roughead, Dickson, Wallis vs Rampe, Heeeny, McVeigh, Rohan, Papley) but our depth should see us have a stronger team in. You guys potentially have a huge chance at winning through your tall forwards alone. Buddy, Tippett and Reid against an inexperienced Roberts and Cordy doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence.
It'll be interesting to see how our tall forwards go in dry conditions on a smaller ground too. Reid was terrific in the first half last week, before Horse hit the panic button and threw him down back.

If we don't lay some tackles in our forward 50 we're cooked.

I think we only managed 7 in total last week from 63 entries.

I think this is where we really missed Papley and Heeney.

Lift that pressure and we should have the talent to capitalise.

Mate you are kidding. They dominated in the ruck which we should also. They then butchered the mid field dominance with the most atrocious field kicking. The just gave the ball back to the Bulldogs in their forward line. Buckley put a tall forward line out there and watched as his career goes down the gurgler and as the ball was kicked everywhere but to them. Collingwood's mids are good going forward but they simply wont or cant run back strongly to defend. The Bulldogs carved them up on the rebound. A good example of what's good and wrong with the Collingwood midfield is Pendelbury. Very good going forward not so good defending against his opponent in the back 50.

Fair point but at least they competed most of the game. It does show how utterly poor we were last week and i know and you know we are a mile better than them.

I can't wait for Friday as we can finally move on from Saturday. I always have to remind myself that it is only round 1. It is a long season not a 100m sprint to March.

Fair point but at least they competed most of the game. It does show how utterly poor we were last week and i know and you know we are a mile better than them.

I can't wait for Friday as we can finally move on from Saturday. I always have to remind myself that it is only round 1. It is a long season not a 100m sprint to March.
We were poor but credit is due to Port Adelaide for playing better than us. They're a very good side on paper, who might just refind their 2014 form.

We were poor but credit is due to Port Adelaide for playing better than us. They're a very good side on paper, who might just refind their 2014 form.

Yep and I'm not sure who got BOG but jeez Ryder pantsed our rucks, it was embarrassing at times. For them he is the wildcard as he's so hard to match up on, one of the few rucks who is genuinely a good kick at goal too.

I actually had Port coming 7th in my ladder prediction, SPP is an absolute gun and I'm not sure what West Coast were thinking.

Yep and I'm not sure who got BOG but jeez Ryder pantsed our rucks, it was embarrassing at times. For them he is the wildcard as he's so hard to match up on, one of the few rucks who is genuinely a good kick at goal too.

I actually had Port coming 7th in my ladder prediction, SPP is an absolute gun and I'm not sure what West Coast were thinking.
Ive always found Ryder so inconsistent, his best is awesome but goes missing for large chunks of the season. Much better as a ruckman, was persevered with as a key position player for far too long at Essendon.

Ive always found Ryder so inconsistent, his best is awesome but goes missing for large chunks of the season. Much better as a ruckman, was persevered with as a key position player for far too long at Essendon.

He's played his best games as that sole ruck.

It is sort of why I wouldn't mind going back to having Tippett rucking a lot of the game, only problem with that would be that Sinclair would have to play.

there intensity was 10 times better than ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back