Sydney to London in 2 hours by 2018...

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
New York to London in 35 minutes....along with the security on planes these days, that Mile High club is just getting harder & harder to join;)

Soon, Fly From London to Sydney in Two Hours

Soon you may be able to have breakfast in London, and arrive in Sydney in time for a mid-morning flat white break, thanks to developments in hypersonic travel. The futuristic mode of transportation, which makes the much-missed Concorde look like a flying snail, could come as soon as 2018 after a successful test of a new project in the Australian desert, The Telegraph reported.

The project is a joint effort between U.S. and Australian military scientists to develop a so-called ‘scramjet’ engine—a supersonic combustion engine that uses oxygen from the atmosphere for fuel, making it lighter and faster than gas-powered planes. Their latest test showed that the engine was able to travel at the mind-boggling speed of Mach 7.5, which is seven times faster than the speed of sound. (A bit of background: Anything over five times the speed of sound is considered hypersonic travel).

“It is a game-changing technology… and could revolutionize global air travel, providing cost-effective access to space,” Australia’s chief scientist Alex Zelinsky said in a statement.

Hypersonic technology could cut traveling times drastically. The trip from Sydney to London could be done in two hours, while London to New York could take as little as 35 minutes, which less than the time it usually takes to get from JFK Airport to a midtown hotel.

The U.S. and Australian team aren’t the only ones looking into the wonders of hypersonic travel. Earlier this month, NASA announced that it is working on a “low boom” passenger jet, which will be able to travel at supersonic speeds without the noisy sonic boom that marked the departure of the Concorde. Additionally, manufacturer Aerion has partnered with Airbus to create the AS2 that would halve the current New York to London travel time, which is significantly more time in the air than the concept for the Antipode, which could travel from London to New York in just 11 minutes. Meaning travelers could get five times as much reading done while waiting in the security line than they would on the flight.

I'd imagine the cost of tickets on these new hypersonic planes would be out of reach for the average punter, you'd probably need to be a billionaire to afford it.

I thought the concorde was flicked because the lucrative US routes all required the much less efficent subsonic flying close to the land so nobody was disturbed by sonic booms?

Has that been factored in?

I think one of the reasons that the Concorde bit the dust was due to that crash near Paris back in 2000, it's popularity dwindled after that.

I think one of the reasons that the Concorde bit the dust was due to that crash near Paris back in 2000, it's popularity dwindled after that.
This. They're really inefficient too. Margins for airlines are tiny so having a thirsty plane isn't best business.

Can't see it happening. Only millionaires could afford it. Even then the only benefit would be travel time and those that can afford it would probably prefer the luxury of a private jet or commercial first class. Many might try it for the novelty but would there be sufficient demand for a continued service. I'd expect tickets to be in the vicinity of $100k. How many companies would pay that for executives to attend meetings etc?

This will end well

49b7e13ee911667f1f4e940196b818bd

Can't see it happening. Only millionaires could afford it. Even then the only benefit would be travel time and those that can afford it would probably prefer the luxury of a private jet or commercial first class. Many might try it for the novelty but would there be sufficient demand for a continued service. I'd expect tickets to be in the vicinity of $100k. How many companies would pay that for executives to attend meetings etc?

So you can see it happening? This is part of searching for a more efficient engine. If anything it may be cheaper in the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scramjets rely on supersonic airflow compressing the air entering the engine before combustion takes place. So I think they need a separate rocket or jet motor to get the plane up to speed.

That and sonic booms caused by supersonic travel means it wont be used for high frequency passenger transport over populated areas.

I love technology and s**t that goes fast but it'll be a while before it is commercial. even normal aircraft has only just become an affordable adventure for the masses in the last generation (rather than something very special).

I'd imagine the cost of tickets on these new hypersonic planes would be out of reach for the average punter, you'd probably need to be a billionaire to afford it.

Unfortunate choice of wording

This will happen when each new model of normal plane has a big library lounge like the promo videos on the news always pretend.

if this comes off the AFL could really put a whole new meaning to expansion. would be a shorter trip than what perth is currently.

expansion teams-
2019- London Royals, Washington AK47s
2020- Beijing Maos, Paris Frogs.

started a light hearted thread on this on the main board. edit:- thread locked.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back