Sydney to play some games at Stadium Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

play on

Club Legend
Mar 2, 2001
I heard on the news that an agreement has been signed, and their will be 3 games including a home final if the Swans are good enough to get one, played at Stadium Australia, starting next year. I can't remember how many years this agreement is for.

------------------------------
Play on says the umpire
------------------------------

Should be good to see what Aussie Rules is like at Stadium Australia, it'll be interesting to see how large the crowd with be for Stadium Australia games. I'd say the first game at Stadium Australia will definitely be big (largely because of the curiosity factor) but it will be interesting whether the Swans will be able to pull large crowds to all their 3 matches at Stadium Australia next year.

I just saw the pics, Des
It's looks very impressive with the AFL posts there, should be good to see a Swans match there!

Email from Kelvin Templeton

Here's an email to Swans fans about Stadium Australia from Swans CEO, Kelvin Templeton for anyone whose interested.

Dear Member (and Bigfooty fans :D),

I am writing to bring you up to date with the exciting news about the outcome of our negotiations with Stadium Australia.

The results have been very positive for the Club, with many of our issues about sight lines and ground size resolved in our favour.

In 2002 the Club expects to play 3 games at Stadium Australia and from 2003 a minimum of three games per year for six years, with an option to extend the agreement for a further eight years. Extra games above the minimum will only be played if there is clear demand for them.

This means that up to 30,000 extra seats will be available for Swans games against the AFL powerhouse teams such as Essendon and Carlton. Sydney will now be well placed to maximise our programming opportunities with regular blockbusters able to be scheduled in Sydney.

These blockbuster games are a bonus on top of our regular scheduling. Next season we will be playing 10 games at the SCG plus an Ansett Cup game, the same number that has been traditionally played prior to our recent deals with the Bulldogs and the Kangaroo for extra games.

The Swans have reaffirmed our commitment to the SCG as our long-term home ground and long-term training and administrative base. We are please to advise that work is well advanced on a new $5 million football centre being constructed at the rear of the Brewongle Stand at the SCG. This tremendous new facility is scheduled for completion at the end of the year.

At Stadium Australia the issue of sight lines has been resolved with an agreed ground configuration of 170 metres boundary in length - with an actual playing area of 160 metres long, and a 128 metres boundary-to-boundary width - with a playing area 118 metres wide. There will be a 5-metre area between the playing field and the spectators. The field will now be the same length as the MCG and wider than Geelong's Shell Stadium. We are delighted that we have reduced the area separating the spectators from the field. This means spectators will be far closer to the action than in any other code.

There will be some marginally sight-affected seats at Stadium Australia on the upper areas of Level 6 and on the wing. As with sight affected seats at the MCG and SCG these seats will be sold at appropriate discount and, of course, are not included in the member seating plan. In summary, changes to the planned configuration now mean all other seating meets the sightline guidelines laid down for the design of Colonial Stadium at Docklands in Melbourne.

Parking and Public Transport at Stadium Australia
We will also be able to offer our members pre-paid parking for our Stadium Australia games. There will be at least 3,000 spaces reserved for the Swans and up to 10,000 if there are no competing events on match day (which is 5 times the amount at the SCG) The club has also negotiated very attractive public transport arrangements, with major event/Bledisloe Cup type services and facilities in place.

We believe that opening our club to a wider support base in Sydney will help reaffirm our position as Sydney's one and only AFL team. The move is a vital one for our club, and as outlined below, for the on-going growth of the code in Sydney.

Currently more than 60% of development work by Swans players is undertaken in Sydney's Greater West and the AFL is now spending more than $5 million a year in Sydney/NSW development, with the bulk of it occurring in western Sydney. However the great majority of the kids exposed to introductory programs have never seen a live AFL game. The club and the AFL believe it is vital that kids have the opportunity of experiencing an AFL game live for the club and the code to continue to grow in Sydney. Our presence at Stadium Australia will bridge the gap between development programs such as Auskick and playing AFL on the weekend by providing easy access to a game for the majority of Sydneysiders.

Your club negotiated hard for a great outcome with Stadium Australia. We have achieved a deal to play three blockbuster games, opening up an extra 30,000 seats for members' families and friends, and for supporters from the Greater West.

By 2003, all seating will be undercover, and I can also confirm that we have an agreement that allows members and spectators to have a post-kick on the playing area.

I can assure you that everyone at the Club is excited at the prospect of playing at the newly configured Stadium Australia.

Imagine the atmosphere of a blockbuster AFL game in front of a huge crowd only metres away from the action. We are planning that each match played will be a major event with a number of associated activities and attractions providing a memorable football and entertainment experience.

We will be posting detailed information on our website and further information will be included in the next issue of Swans News

Thank you for your continuous support, and see you at the game.

Yours sincerely

Kelvin Templeton

Originally posted by BMD
Kick on the ground after the game! Whoo Hoo!

Here, Here BMD! :)

I liked the sound of that too! There's nothing like having a kick on the ground after the match, I remember having a kick-to-kick on the MCG a couple of times, just gotta watch out for balls flying from every direction!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back