Sydney under Longmire

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he’s been a good coach for them. Not too sure tonight is a fair indication. And the gf last year was kind of going to happen as Sydney played their gf the week before.

Sure he gets them in the finals pretty much every year, but much like Geelong from 2012-2021, a decade without a flag. Is he basically coach of Sydney for life? If from now to the end of 2032 he has another 2 grand final defeats, 6 top 4 finishes but no premiership, is he still the coach? Does he get offered another contract?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missing key forwards and backs, obviously you're not gonna go well..

He has always had the best of talent at his disposal.
I mean in many ways, it's not too dissimilar to Leon Cameron and his time at GWS.

Sydney right now have an extremely talented list. Gulden, Heeney, Papley, Warner, Florent, Mills, Blakey, Rampe, you can go and on and on.
He's had arguably the greatest forward of the modern era. Not to mention quality defenders and a local academy which keeps on pumping through top-end talent.

One wonders if Alastair Clarkson was at the helm, just how many premierships would they have won by now :think:

1 flag, two heavy grand final defeats.

Swans have held him for too long with no succession plan. Thoughts? Should they move him on?

Three very bad losses in his past 7 games. I think Swans over-achieved in 2022 and need to be looking to use 2023 to consolidate their new forward line without Franklin and Reid.

A down year but I like the Swans list a lot.

Darn good coach. Part of a very good culture they've built at sydney. massive overachievement last year when most expected them to fall out of finals contention, so conversely overrated this year. But for some widely recognised shocking umpiring he would have two flags as he deserves. Very similar record to scott at geelong in keeping his team in contention over a long period.

Had the prelim final last year gone on an extra 30 seconds, Sydney misses the GF and the bar is set a lot lower. Last night's loss would be seen as a bad loss, but part of the journey.
Sydney are a very well run club, once Longmire stops working for them, they will move on.

So.

At the start of last year, many had the Swans finishing bottom six. They over delivered last year big time.

It is fair that expectations go up after that, but perhaps they need to be tempered a little bit. Still in the phase of an emerging good side that will have some hiccups. So whilst many consider them a flag chance (which they still may well be) I think bottom half of the eight would still actually be a good result this year.

On the specifics of last night: they were undermanned no doubt, but they were still poor and at times I struggled to figure out what they were trying to do. Many teams go into games undermanned and still find a way to make more of a scrap of it. On to next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back