Game Day Sydney v Collingwood SCG 15 May 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney coaches box adjusted after the first quarter. Ours can't or won't. I know our cattle aren't as good but still...

I find that when we are playing a decent brand of footy, the opposition then change things to counter our game plan, but we are incapable of counterbalancing the opposition changes, with some of our own. We seem to just stick with what we were doing initially, eventhough the opposition have put measures in place to stiffle our game plan, hence we suddenly find ourselves right behind the 8 ball.....

This club is going nowhere

Looking at this list I dont see how we go anywhere but full rebuild

The list is cooked

All we are missing is Adams

Grundy looks finished 1 year into a 7 year deal, Pendles and Sidebottom look done

Im lost for words

Sidey is one player l would look to move on at seasons end, in order to help us get back into the draft. Been a great servant, but l really believe he needs a change of scenery, as much as we need to maybe move on from Sidey.

Disposal across the list has been very poor all season.

Most of the team seem to panic as soon as they get the ball, either blindly kick it to no-one, missing basic handballs or giving it to a bloke under more pressure than the ball carrier. UA lot of the time they're unforced skill errors.

As other posters have mentioned, this isn't a coaching issue. This is a skills issue. Buckley can't go out there and do it himself. The worst part about today is normally good kicks such as Quaynor, Pendles & Daicos have been very poor. We have had 65 clangers so far to Sydneys 47 and it isn't even half way through the last quarter. The Comp average is 43.

I can't stress this enough. The coaches can't control this with tactics. This is a playing issue, the whole season has been. It is a very easy and lazy way of looking at the game to criticise the coach and not analyse what is actually happening.

Edit: For example, our defensive zone structures have kept this game close and you know what that is because of, coaching.
It hasn't simply been skill errors that have cost us. Our game plan has seen us outnumbered up forward and we are drilled to go backwards or sideways as a first option.
Buckley created this squad and selected the team so he does carry responsibility for what they produce.
For how long can the blame be placed upon anyone other than Bucks?
He was rightly lauded by the media in 2018 so he can wear the criticism when we are terrible.

I find that when we are playing a decent brand of footy, the opposition then change things to counter our game plan, but we are incapable of counterbalancing the opposition changes, with some of our own. We seem to just stick with what we were doing initially, eventhough the opposition have put measures in place to stiffle our game plan, hence we suddenly find ourselves right behind the 8 ball.....

Did you notice the structure change in the last QTR?

Disposal across the list has been very poor all season.

Most of the team seem to panic as soon as they get the ball, either blindly kick it to no-one, missing basic handballs or giving it to a bloke under more pressure than the ball carrier. UA lot of the time they're unforced skill errors.

That is because this team is trying to play a game of perfection. The skill level in this team is not one capable of playing perfection footy, this is a crash and bash team, and move the ball forward at any cost. Yet we try to pick off passes to players in ridiculous positions and expect them to be able to retain possession!!!
This coaching group is seriously deluded by the skill level of this team.

It hasn't simply been skill errors that have cost us. Our game plan has seen us outnumbered up forward and we are drilled to go backwards or sideways as a first option.
Buckley created this squad and selected the team so he does carry responsibility for what they produce.
He was right lauded by the media in 2018 so he can wear the criticism when we are terrible.
Because the criticism isn't warranted for his tactics. It is warranted for how he handled Treloar/the trade periods as a whole, and at times team selection but not for tactics as often, while having a subpar list, we keep games close against better teams and rarely get blown out. I think it might be fair to also criticise training as I can't believe the players are using it this badly.

This club is going nowhere

Looking at this list I dont see how we go anywhere but full rebuild

The list is cooked

All we are missing is Adams

Grundy looks finished 1 year into a 7 year deal, Pendles and Sidebottom look done

Im lost for words
Adams. Howe, Elliott and Roughhead.

He was rightly lauded by the media in 2018 so he can wear the criticism when we are terrible.

Even numbers fwd in 1st and last QTRs made a difference to our scoring - so skill errors clearly were the issue, as were missing key defenders.

Because the criticism isn't warranted for his tactics. It is warranted for how he handled Treloar/the trade periods as a whole, and at times team selection but not for tactics as often, while having a subpar list, we keep games close against better teams and rarely get blown out. I think it might be fair to also criticise training as I can't believe the players are using it this badly.
We havent been able to kick a score for nigh on two years and 2018 was an outlier. The previous years were the same. Low scoring grinds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We havent been able to kick a score for nigh on two years and 2018 was an outlier. The previous years were the same. Low scoring grinds.

We had Good Assistant Coaches in 2018

It's the cattle mate, you'll get the exact same result with or without him, and Buckley didn't blow 8 1st round picks for zero players on the list and destroy the salary cap signing aging players on bloated contracts, you're not sacking the right people
We should fire who is in charge of the match day game plan.
We should also fire whoever implemented that BS defensive zone that all teams can do circle work around.
We should also fire whoever is in charge of training as the skills (by hand and foot) are terrible and sub standard for AFL players.
Whoever did not show the initiative and get a training session with your next door neighbors (Storm) and get some tackling instructions should also go.
If Buckley is not one of them he can stay.

That is because this team is trying to play a game of perfection. The skill level in this team is not one capable of playing perfection footy, this is a crash and bash team, and move the ball forward at any cost. Yet we try to pick off passes to players in ridiculous positions and expect them to be able to retain possession!!!
This coaching group is seriously deluded by the skill level of this team.

I don't buy into the gameplan argument when there's just so many unforced errors.
Uncontested handpasses to the feet of open teammates has little to do with trying to play a perfect brand of footy and more to do with personnel(skill) and self-belief/confidence imo.

Even numbers fwd in 1st and last QTRs made a difference to our scoring - so skill errors clearly were the issue, as were missing key defenders.
We kicked one goal in the last quarter.
Roughy has been playing all year and we have lost and kicked low scores. You can tap dance forever, at what point do you say someone else deserves the chance to coach this team?

This has been a long term issue. How many games have we jumped out of the box and kicked 5 or 6 goals only to be restricted to 3 more for the rest of the game?

I don't buy into the gameplan argument when there's just so many unforced errors.
Uncontested handpasses to the feet of open teammates has little to do with trying to play a perfect brand of footy and more to do with personnel(skill) and self-belief/confidence imo.
Selection is another element of coaching which has been confusing this season.

We kicked one goal in the last quarter.
Roughy has been playing all year and we have lost and kicked low scores. You can tap dance forever, at what point do you say someone else deserves the chance to coach this team?

You made a point of saying our game plan focused on being outnumbered in the fwd line - I was pointing out you were wrong, Because the structure was clearly more potent with even numbers fwd, in the 1st and Last QTR.
So by definition skill error were costly as suggested by the poster you were responding to.

It's the cattle mate, you'll get the exact same result with or without him, and Buckley didn't blow 8 1st round picks for zero players on the list and destroy the salary cap signing aging players on bloated contracts, you're not sacking the right people
So Buckley has zero input on recruiting, draft and contracts? I find that impossible to believe. You don't think his opinion was sought when Grundy had us over a barrel?

You made a point of saying our game plan focused on being outnumbered in the fwd line - I was pointing out you were wrong, Because the structure was clearly more potent with even numbers fwd, in the 1st and Last QTR.
So by definition skill error were costly as suggested by the poster you were responding to.

Yet we allowed the outnumber in the 2nd and 3rd quarters where once again we failed to score a goal for a half or more of footy.

You made a point of saying the game plan doesn’t change - I was pointing out you were wrong, Because the structure was clearly more potent in the 1st and Last QTR.
Disposal efficiency is one aspect of our game that is delorable. That has nothing to do with fact that when players lifted their heads and looked forward either no one was there or they were incapable of making a contest or locking the ball in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back