Preview Sydney v GWS-

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The poster was arguing that we need more players capable of thuggery.

Which I cannot agree with.
You missed the point (which I even wrote down clearly) entirely.
We need players that are perceived by the opposition to be capable of returning thuggery, with thuggery+. They don't have to actually do it.

But we definitely also need players willing and able to take legal opportunities to make opponents pay physically to get the ball. So often I see our young players pulling out of these opportunities...too nice.

McInerney pulling out of a mark going back against Hawkins early on a case in point. Could have elevated, taken the mark, turned his hip and completely wiped Hawkins out last week, hitting him chest high. Dont care how big you are, getting hit chest high by someone's hip at pace - you're going to lose. Instead he dogged it, and Hawkins went on to tear us apart. NUMEROUS other occaisons this year when we see a player in the air and we can absolutely smash into their ribcage and make them earn it....and don't. You don't win many games of AFL or rugby with a whole team avoiding such incidents. You just don't. You need physical dominance in collision sports. People need to think twice (like McInerney so clearly did).
Nearly stood up and cheered in my loungeroom when Warner put someone on their backside late last week when he didn't particularly need to, but could - all too rare. Mills and Parker should have taken note.

How's this for dumb campaigner fixturing. It's the NRL magic round in Brisbane next week, so no NRL games in Sydney but the AFL has decided no AFL games in Sydney either. This match would've been perfect for next week. Dumb decisions.

You missed the point (which I even wrote down clearly) entirely.
We need players that are perceived by the opposition to be capable of returning thuggery, with thuggery+. They don't have to actually do it.

But we definitely also need players willing and able to take legal opportunities to make opponents pay physically to get the ball. So often I see our young players pulling out of these opportunities...too nice.

McInerney pulling out of a mark going back against Hawkins early on a case in point. Could have elevated, taken the mark, turned his hip and completely wiped Hawkins out last week, hitting him chest high. Dont care how big you are, getting hit chest high by someone's hip at pace - you're going to lose. Instead he dogged it, and Hawkins went on to tear us apart. NUMEROUS other occaisons this year when we see a player in the air and we can absolutely smash into their ribcage and make them earn it....and don't. You don't win many games of AFL or rugby with a whole team avoiding such incidents. You just don't. You need physical dominance in collision sports. People need to think twice (like McInerney so clearly did).
Nearly stood up and cheered in my loungeroom when Warner put someone on their backside late last week when he didn't particularly need to, but could - all too rare. Mills and Parker should have taken note.
I’m sure Mills and Parker will take due note of your loungeroom commentary suggesting they aren’t hard enough.

How's this for dumb campaigner fixturing. It's the NRL magic round in Brisbane next week, so no NRL games in Sydney but the AFL has decided no AFL games in Sydney either. This match would've been perfect for next week. Dumb decisions.

Should move the Pies game

I’m sure Mills and Parker will take due note of your loungeroom commentary suggesting they aren’t hard enough.
Which opposition players get nervous when Mills is on them? Which opposition players still get nervous when it is Parker?

It is not about thuggery, it is about winning the hit, and the momentum that follows. It is about the physical intimidation of going in hard.

Teams used to say they would feel it after playing the Swans in 2005/06. We weren’t a dirty team then but we were hard as nuts.

I get our current team is still young, building weight and hardening their bodies - but I have to admit that I thought we would have had one really hard nut by now, but I don’t see anyone I frankly I struggle to think of who that might be. Probably Sheldrick, which is saying something as he has barely played a game and is a few years from having that really strong presence.

I think McLean and Ladhams both need to throw their weight around more at a minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which opposition players get nervous when Mills is on them? Which opposition players still get nervous when it is Parker?

It is not about thuggery, it is about winning the hit, and the momentum that follows. It is about the physical intimidation of going in hard.

Teams used to say they would feel it after playing the Swans in 2005/06. We weren’t a dirty team then but we were hard as nuts.

I get our current team is still young, building weight and hardening their bodies - but I have to admit that I thought we would have had one really hard nut by now, but I don’t see anyone I frankly I struggle to think of who that might be. Probably Sheldrick, which is saying something as he has barely played a game and is a few years from having that really strong presence.

I think McLean and Ladhams both need to throw their weight around more at a minimum.
Luke Parker is one of the hardest, bravest players in the AFL. As nominated by his peers year after year. To suggest he doesn’t “go in hard” …. I’m lost for words.

The last “tough guy” we had was Zac Jones.
Tattoos and shoving your opponent don’t equal toughness or bravery.

Luke Parker is one of the hardest, bravest players in the AFL. As nominated by his peers year after year. To suggest he doesn’t “go in hard” …. I’m lost for words.

The last “tough guy” we had was Zac Jones.
Tattoos and shoving your opponent don’t equal toughness or bravery.

Indeed Parker been at the coalface of contests for a decade his body may be showing the signs.

I reckon alot of players would be shitting themselves when mills is on them, mainly because he actually plays defence & works hard 2 ways. Mills is 188cm, 86kg (looks bigger imo). He aint no feather. I think what you're after is what Mummy provided which is a physical presence in the contest. I don't think that style of play is too successful in this period. Who from Geelong plays like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back