Preview Sydney v GWS-

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he didn't want to add in another new player to our defence with soo many regular defenders already missing, hence he's opted to play mills in defence. I would love to see him get a full game though, maybe the coaches are still concerned about his knee/leg injury?
Yeah I don’t think they are convinced with getting through a full game is all.

Team selection seems fine to me, happy Sheldrick is in and Harry presumably drops out next week for Fox.

Back 7 of McCartin/Florent/Blakey/Lloyd/Campbell + Francis/Cunningham (or Mills), hopefully Mills is midfield Cunningham back but that may get swapped around during the game.

Don't really think we have a better option in defence with all our injuries.

That's pedantry. The biggest whinge people are having is pushing Mills back because all 3 of our KPDs were injured. Pretty 'massive' in terms of impact.

Hardly a whinge but , let's see what happens I guess

And others just want to continually blow the list up, "get games into the kids" and sack Horse 4 years ago. People were having a right sook after the Suns loss last year and we went on to make the GF.

But kick 6 in the first quarter against the Giants and the same posters will be awfully quiet.

Like who? :p

I've changed my mind.

We're gonna thump em

I'm really trying to change my mind and mood.

Had a terrible thought overnight that Greene would try a cheap shot on McCartin. That really depressed me. Even worse I then worried whether the team would behave passively. We got pushed around verbally and physically last Friday.

I have no doubt GWS will try it on but in the cool light of day I doubt even Toby would sink so low as a cheap shot.

Hope Parker doesn't play a single minute in the mids
And let Sheldrick get smashed for 4 quarters? Think Parker needs to be in there to support him.

I can see him spending more time forward once Gus (hopefully) establishes himself.

And let Sheldrick get smashed for 4 quarters? Think Parker needs to be in there to support him.

I can see him spending more time forward once Gus (hopefully) establishes himself.
Sheldrick's not our only mid. You forgotten about Mills and Rowbottom?

If they are winning hard ball in the middle then it's an entirely different midfield.

If they aren't, then we'll have the same midfield we've had all year and will be relying on a second-gamer to change it.

Good luck!

Because it's the same toxic bullshit about a coach who's kept us competitive for a decade, revolutionised our gameplan over the past 2 years, and is dealing with a massive injury list.

Of course he makes mistakes like any other coach but the histrionics are pathetic.

"OMG I bet he puts Sheldrick in the forward pocket". So when he doesn't will anyone roll that back? Or will people just move onto the next whinge?
Can only go off what we've seen to date.

Nothing to do with discounting all the good work Horse has done, it's just clear he's got a pretty consistent track record of debuting those type of players in the forward or back pocket with very minimal time in the middle. They end up having minimal to no impact.

Our defence wore as thin as it could possibly get and still moved mills to defence onto a player he's got no chance against, ahead of Gould and Francis.

I adore Horse but those decisions last week was purely down to being scared and wanting to resort to players he trusts pinning down a desperate role. Even after seeing it not working it still took 3 qtrs of getting belted before shifting the magnets. Evidence as recent as the last game. The bloke is stubborn, don't forget how long it took him to concede the game plan needed changing before 2021.

Gould being sub again will mean he's taking the same passive approach.

Yeah it is pointless making assumptions but it's hard not to anticipate it at this rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with discounting all the good work Horse has done, it's just clear he's got a pretty consistent track record of debuting those type of players in the forward or back pocket with very minimal time in the middle. They end up having minimal to no impact.

Our defence wore as thin as it could possibly get and still moved mills to defence onto a player he's got no chance against, ahead of Gould and Francis.

I adore Horse but those decisions last week was purely down to being scared and wanting to resort to players he trusts pinning down a desperate role. Even after seeing it not working it still took 3 qtrs of getting belted before shifting the magnets. Evidence as recent as the last game. The bloke is stubborn, don't forget how long it took him to concede the game plan needed changing before 2021.

Yeah it is pointless making assumptions but it's hard not to anticipate it at this rate.
I mean Mills playing in defence was a mistake because it took him out of the midfield, but he did a much better job of playing on Hawkins than Gould did. Should have always been Francis though.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to speculate on the positioning of the 22. It is not toxic.

I don't think anyone supported playing Mills on Hawkins last week. Most wanted him starting CBs in the mids at the very least even if he ran down back to help cover in defence. For me it was chucking in the white towel before the game started. I know that was not the intent of the Coaching Box move.

Parker has not been his usual commanding figure in the mids. Jury is out on whether this is a form or tactical issue. I don't think he is cooked and he showed he could adapt to and lead the game style adopted in recent years. Luke has many strings to his bow and can play successfully on the forward line. I hope he spends some time there. He would also use his voice to ensure the forwards are well organised

Surely the message this week is winning the contest and laying our hands on the footy, rather than setting up to tackle a la Rowbottom on the assumption the Oppo will win possession.
Tbh I don't think our problem was lacking at the contest. And imo it was the total opposite to assuming a tackle, we were shockingly positioned to assume any tackle and watched them run off with it. I felt our lads busted their guts going at the ball all night it just amounted to nothing because we were so poor at defending their numbers and big bodies.

But yeah agree re the rest

Happy with 30-40% time in mids but I think Parker can be a weapon in forward line, great overhead mark for his size.
There is no issue with parker in the middle when we have numbers peeling off around him. When there's nothing he reverts to the dump kick. Unfortunately when things aren't clicking it makes everyone look poor even if they're not necessarily the main reason for it.

I mean Mills playing in defence was a mistake because it took him out of the midfield, but he did a much better job of playing on Hawkins than Gould did. Should have always been Francis though.
I don't disagree that Gould is out of his depth. But in that circumstance you just need to go with what you've got and throw em into the deep end. Play players in their position. There's literally no point in throwing in the towel and going into preservation mode with your best mid down back.

I get why he might have started with it in an attempt to keep the game close and possibly get something out of it. But it was long gone 5 mins into the 2nd QTR, he should have binned that plan immediately at that point.

Good post. Spot on about Horse wanting to utilise players he trusts.

I can understand people not agreeing with the approach, especially in hindsight, but IMO it was absolutely justifiable.

So weather forecast.

There will be middling showers most of the morning and early arvo.
Under a light NW wind.
Those that know Sydney weather know how gloomy this is.
Then around 2 pm a strong southerly will arrive and the potential for heavier showers/storm will increase.
Localised falls could exceed 10mm/hr.

Potential for flooding as the evening goes on and into Sunday.
I vote we don't kick into the wind in the last quarter.

I'm really trying to change my mind and mood.

Had a terrible thought overnight that Greene would try a cheap shot on McCartin. That really depressed me. Even worse I then worried whether the team would behave passively. We got pushed around verbally and physically last Friday.

I have no doubt GWS will try it on but in the cool light of day I doubt even Toby would sink so low as a cheap shot.
Swans always get pushed around. We are far too nice. Not one nutter in the team that just might knock someone TFO if they cross the line. (Possible exception of Ladhams). Been like this for years. In a physical contest game like this you need one or two of those types to make the opposition think twice IMO. Not that they need do it, but the threat of someone coming to remonstrate with a haymaker to even things up has to be credible.
May for Melbourne, Robinson for Brisbane have that look IMO, that if you take it too far, you just might pay a heavy price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back