Autopsy Sydney Vs Essendon Round 2. 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s no issue on heeney other than wether he will be a superstar

It’s like your 100 dollar notes being a bit troublesome in your wallet

Teams would take him in a heartbeat
Actually he would probably be better in different style teams

How do we know that Mills won’t be a mid? The coach won’t even play him there.

Not sure why we need to keep covering this to be honest.

Unlike the rest of us, the coaching group get to see Mills at training and through match sims.

It is pretty obvious at this point that if they were hiding a gem in the cupboard they would have pulled the trigger. A coach doesn’t need to play a player in a live AFL match in a position if his peers have made him look second rate in said position in match sims.

Mills simply isn’t a midfielder. He isn’t blessed without outside speed, he isn’t even particularly clean at ground level, he isn’t a runner and his 360 degree awareness is questionable at times. I am unsure as to how any of this is going to change by “just trying it”. It will fail, or at the very best, won’t improve on what we already have (ie. he has teammates that are far better midfielders than he could be and without a doubt they would have shown him as much at training).

He is however a pretty good defender and will only get better there. And there is nothing wrong with that!!

I’d love those who are desperate for him to go into the midfield to tell me exactly what skills he has that you believe will see our midfield improve.

I think it’s just clutching at straws personally!

We drive off half back a lot and Mills is a key to our half back line

I’d be more worried about teams dragging him deep than getting him into the guts
Agreed. He is an attacking half back that got isolated way too easily.

That said that free to MTW was idiotic at best

We drive off half back a lot and Mills is a key to our half back line

I’d be more worried about teams dragging him deep than getting him into the guts

Bombers actually did a pretty good job of pulling Mills and Dawson deep inside 50, exposing them defensively and limiting their impact.

Agreed. He is an attacking half back that got isolated way too easily.

That said that free to MTW was idiotic at best

MTW was the man on the mark iirc, imagine if he had to have 360 awareness like he would playing in the midfield.

Bombers actually did a pretty good job of pulling Mills and Dawson deep inside 50, exposing them defensively and limiting their impact.
Dawson should not be in the back line. A wing as a link up player or HFF driving the ball inside 50. We really missed his kicking going inside 50

Not sure why we need to keep covering this to be honest.

Unlike the rest of us, the coaching group get to see Mills at training and through match sims.

It is pretty obvious at this point that if they were hiding a gem in the cupboard they would have pulled the trigger. A coach doesn’t need to play a player in a live AFL match in a position if his peers have made him look second rate in said position in match sims.

Mills simply isn’t a midfielder. He isn’t blessed without outside speed, he isn’t even particularly clean at ground level, he isn’t a runner and his 360 degree awareness is questionable at times. I am unsure as to how any of this is going to change by “just trying it”. It will fail, or at the very best, won’t improve on what we already have (ie. he has teammates that are far better midfielders than he could be and without a doubt they would have shown him as much at training).

He is however a pretty good defender and will only get better there. And there is nothing wrong with that!!

I’d love those who are desperate for him to go into the midfield to tell me exactly what skills he has that you believe will see our midfield improve.

I think it’s just clutching at straws personally!

I am sorry but you can't use this argument as this was the same coaching group that looked at Mitchell and said "well, he isn't that good, certainly we have better midfielders than him" and then lowballed his contract before giving him away for pick 14. If they got it so wrong with Mitchell why is it hard to believe they have not gotten it wrong with Mills?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in favour of the traditional British use? Like the jelly

If we replaced our midfield with Aeroplane Jelly, would any one notice?

I am sorry but you can't use this argument as this was the same coaching group that looked at Mitchell and said "well, he isn't that good, certainly we have better midfielders than him" and then lowballed his contract before giving him away for pick 14. If they got it so wrong with Mitchell why is it hard to believe they have not gotten it wrong with Mills?

Good god I don’t want to be dragged into a Mitchell debate.

- coaching group never said he wasn’t good
- at the time he was indeed not as good as Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery
- they prioritised Hannebery and Parker for contract signing both better at the time
- can’t create salary cap space out of thin air, he was at the time a 4th line midfielder and would have received an offer consummate to his position on our list, fairly reasonable at that time

Mitchell was always considered a midfielder, he has elite awareness, runs hard (now he does, spent a bit of time in the twos working on that....) and has elite hands/ground ball. In fact all the things that make Mitchell a midfielder and Mills not!

Remind us who Mitchell was up against in midfield in those days and who we should have got rid of to pay him more money?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think the problem with Heeney is we'd rather see him kick roughly 3 goals a game than have a BOG performance just to go missing in the next match. Needs to be more consistent at his age, because if not now, when?
I think everyone would rather see Heeney consistently kick 3 goals a match, just highlighting how quick this board is to turn on it's players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back