Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Just browsing through a few of the threads on the Essendon and Sydney boards, it seems like there's more of a rivalry between these two sides, than most people think. Atleast when it comes down to the fans!

First question, where will this match be won? (don't say the SCG). There's 'whispers' that Ryder is going to play on Micky O, and many Bombers fans are confident he can shut our mercurial forward down. Micky has kicked 8 goals in his past two matches, and doesn't need too much of the ball to have an impact.

My biggest concern, of course, is the influence that Lloyd and Lucas could have, which will have to be limited to roughly 5-7 goals between them, if we're to win. Anything more than that will likely see the Bombers to victory. I'd imagine Spida will drop back to help the defenders, he has much safer hands than Jolly, and he (Jolly) has been a handy goal sneak this season, so he's better suited up the ground anyway.

FWIW, i'm going with the Swans (suprise, suprise!), by around 4 goals.

Essendon will be a chance if they can get the midfield working. With forwards like Lloyd and Lucas if the delivery is coming in to them there will be goals a plenty in their forward line.

Sydney however are very good at neutralising an oppositions midfield. e.g. The Bulldosgs runners last week all but taken out of the game, It is a tactic the swans have to succeed at again and get the ball inside 50 more than Essendon to get as many chances as possible to counteract the Lloyd and Lucas show up the other end.

If Lloyd and Lucas can fire then Essendon will win easily. Essendon by 24 points. Lucas to kick 6. Lloyd to kick 4. Hird BOG again.

If Lloyd and Lucas can fire then Essendon will win easily. Essendon by 24 points. Lucas to kick 6. Lloyd to kick 4. Hird BOG again.

r u having a laugh? is he having a laugh?

if the dogs couldn't get the footy clear with West and Cross in the engine room, what chance are the bombers? the wimpiest midfield in the entire competition. The toothless tigers had you guys done to a dinner last week until Boxhead Allen pulled you out of the oven with the worst bit of umpiring seen in many years.

This game will be over at half time. Sydney by 10 goals.

if the dogs couldn't get the footy clear with West and Cross in the engine room, what chance are the bombers? the wimpiest midfield in the entire competition. The toothless tigers had you guys done to a dinner last week until Boxhead Allen pulled you out of the oven with the worst bit of umpiring seen in many years.

if you think that the umpiring was the thing that got the dons over the line then you clearly dont know footy, the whole richo decision was right under the new rule. nothing wrong with it definate free kick as every footy expert will ever tell you, its the rule that is the problem. nevertheless richo knew the rule and he broke it therefore free kick. then he went on and kicked it after it was clear that a free kick was given therefore 50
correct decision and i am sick of people whinging about it..
and btw our midfeild has been beaten in every game thus far and we have won more then we have lost. another thing richmond arent going bad at the momment, are you forgetting the week before they almost topped adelaide? people seem to be forgetting that they are motivated and really want to get a win atm... that whole post of yours is pathetic. im not saying essendon will win but you need to actually watch a footy game cause it seems you havent

if you think that the umpiring was the thing that got the dons over the line then you clearly dont know footy, the whole richo decision was right under the new rule. nothing wrong with it definate free kick as every footy expert will ever tell you, its the rule that is the problem. nevertheless richo knew the rule and he broke it therefore free kick. then he went on and kicked it after it was clear that a free kick was given therefore 50
correct decision and i am sick of people whinging about it..
and btw our midfeild has been beaten in every game thus far and we have won more then we have lost. another thing richmond arent going bad at the momment, are you forgetting the week before they almost topped adelaide? people seem to be forgetting that they are motivated and really want to get a win atm... that whole post of yours is pathetic. im not saying essendon will win but you need to actually watch a footy game cause it seems you havent

even the guys who decided to change the rule cant agree on it. How old are you, 7? Ask your mum to read a newspaper to you from last week.

Unlike the tigers the swans know how to win a game. Dud umpiring wont be enough to save you this time.

Bombers to make 8. 8 what? 8 tackles? 8 clearances? 8 forward thrusts? Thats about what they average.

even the guys who decided to change the rule cant agree on it. How old are you, 7? Ask your mum to read a newspaper to you from last week.

Unlike the tigers the swans know how to win a game. Dud umpiring wont be enough to save you this time.

Bombers to make 8. 8 what? 8 tackles? 8 clearances? 8 forward thrusts? Thats about what they average.

calm down champ, we don't like the new rules but it was the correct decision, the 50m was bs but the hands in the back was there. Richo got a goal from one in the 2nd quarter so if you want to give Richo the last goal we'll take the other one from him. same result.

Swans are starting to hit form and will be a very difficult game for the Dons. I think we match you in the spine quite well but your midfield will destroy ours, Sydney by 4-5 goals

Babybombers2007 post was silly, but yours was even dumber. Obviously you didn't watch the game on Saturday night, because the free was there under the new rules.

The game will be close, Lucas and Lloyd will be well held, but it will be a low scoring affair, Sydney by 17 points.

Babybombers2007 post was silly, but yours was even dumber. Obviously you didn't watch the game on Saturday night, because the free was there under the new rules.

The game will be close, Lucas and Lloyd will be well held, but it will be a low scoring affair, Sydney by 17 points.

yeah, I did. and unlike you I watched it dispassionately and objectively. Whether its a bad rule or a bad interpretation isnt the point. My point is they had you by the balls and that controversial decision at a crucial time got you off the hook.

yeah, I did. and unlike you I watched it dispassionately and objectively. Whether its a bad rule or a bad interpretation isnt the point. My point is they had you by the balls and that controversial decision at a crucial time got you off the hook.

no but it is the point, you said it was dud umpiring the cost us the game. i agree its a poor rule and should never have been brought in however it is a rule, everyone knows the rule, richo clearly broke the rule and was paid a free kick against him... how that is dud umpiring getting us over the line is beyond me... we kicked the last 26 points of the match, came back strong and that is what got us over the line... and even if that goal by richo had of counted whats to say we wouldnt have won still? we still one by 8 points, the richo free kick and 50 metres didnt eventuate into anything, winderlick coughed the ball up going inside 50 and richmond rebounded... seeings we were absolutely dominating at that point in the match imo we would have won regardless of whether that goal was scored or not...
and to add to that the scoreline was 12.12 to 12.20... it was bad kicking on our part that kept the tigers infront, if we had kicked how we should of we would have had the match won anyway. lloyd 3.3 and lucas 3.4 isnt up to their normal standard. to say that we only won based on one umpiring decision which under the rules was the correct decision ot be made is ridiculous.

I had nothing invested in that game.
When I criticise Allen its because I believe he showed terrible judgement.

If it had gone against Lloyd and he had played on and scored what was probably the winning goal I would still say it was a dud call.

If the tigers had been playing Sydney, I'd still say it was a dud call and we got away with one. But Boxhead has stolen games off us in the past so thats just karma.

But I wouldn't be on here trying to convince people that the swans had actually played a very good game and deserved to win.

Dude, thats just desperate.

With no disrepect intended to the Tigers, I did note that Essendon coughed up a 22pt and a 20pt lead to the Tigers half way through, and then quite late in the game. A win is a win, and the bombers showed some grit last week. But it wasn't exactly stellar form either.

Should be interesting to see how they perform this week. They've managed to keep close to some form sides. But Sydney in the confines of the SCG will be close to their biggest test so far this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had nothing invested in that game.
When I criticise Allen its because I believe he showed terrible judgement.

If it had gone against Lloyd and he had played on and scored what was probably the winning goal I would still say it was a dud call.

If the tigers had been playing Sydney, I'd still say it was a dud call and we got away with one. But Boxhead has stolen games off us in the past so thats just karma.

But I wouldn't be on here trying to convince people that the swans had actually played a very good game and deserved to win.

Dude, thats just desperate.

well unless i have missed something i havent read anyone saying that.. all that i will say is that we played well for the first half of the first quarter and the last part of the last quarter. never said that we played an awesome game.... also if you are looking at games that teams deserved to win go back to last year and you will see at least 5 games that the bombers deserved to win which we didnt...

see the thing that i need you to explain to me obviously is how the umpiring in that instance was poor umpiring/a dud call.. i just dont see the logic. i agree that the rule itself is s**t but its therule and people need to get over it cause its there for the year. to me the rule states you cant put your hand in the back of another player, richo did that and he also slightly pushed mal aswell.. so to me that is a correct call under the current rules... furthermore the 50m decision was tough but imo was there. the whistle was blown once for the free kick and then another twice before richo kicked the ball, under that rule thats a 50m penalty. i dont understand what you expected from that scenario.... was brett allen supposed to just ignore the current rules because richmond MAY have deserved to win

Get over it Bombers 16 Premierships Swans ?

For a no history club you talk a good game !

Essendon will probably play an attacking game, which is their strength. Problem is, last time they tried it at the SCG it was a high scoring game and the Swans won by a fair margin (40-odd points).

I think the Bombers will put on a good show for a half but in the end the class of the Swans will prevail and they'll get up by around 4-5 goals.

Pev out for the Bombers and Kennely out for the Swans according to the Essendon Mailman who is 100% accurate. ;)

I just hope tonight whatever happens we kick STRAIGHT. Kicking behinds does not win you matches.

Get over it Bombers 16 Premierships Swans ?

For a no history club you talk a good game !

Obviously got us confused with West Coast, considering the Swans history goes back to the earliest days of football. ;)
Sydney are starting to get back to the form that has seen in them in action on the last Saturday in September for the past two years, while Essendon are winning but not looking overly impressive IMHO (highlighted by falling over the line vs Richmond)
Will the Essendon midfield be punished by the smaller confines of the SCG, when one kick and your in the attacking 50?
Can Sydney maintain the straight kicking and not slip back into old habits of wasting shots on goals??
Sydney by 13pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back