Autopsy Sydney vs Geelong Round 20 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Reg. One of the most underrated players of the current era.
Absolutely, how ridiculous is it that he couldn't make the AA squad last year

Absolutely, how ridiculous is it that he couldn't make the AA squad last year

Strange isn't it? Commentators have always talked about him playing second fiddle to Teddy, Smith, LRT even...but he's now carrying the entire team in his own right and everyone is just talking about Rampe.

Craig Bolton. My first defender crush:heartarrow:
Opened my eyes to the sometimes unappreciated defensive pillars of the red and white.
My mrs had a thing for Brad Seymour back in the day. Rohan Wharf (apologies if I've spelt his name wrong) too, loved the tough guys not the show offs.

This time the midfield performed well without JPK, which was my biggest worry going into the match. KJ was dancing around like he was 26. I never thought I would actually see him produce that again - it was a bit of a treat to watch. When it's an absolute MUST WIN, the boys lift when it matters. Richmond, Essendon, GWS, now this.

Another observation is that unless Tipppett shows a shed load of improvement over the next fortnight or so, we are going into the finals with a ruck combo that is pretty much bottom six. With limited service, against the likes of sauce, mummy, lobb will this be our undoing in a prelim?

Finally, hell he is both exciting and frustrating to watch, but Rohan is an essential ingredient. I get the feeling that opposition backs get very worried when he is on their tail. He forced a lot of sh*te disposals from Geelong the other night. Just needs to prove that he can turn in a blinder during a final or two.

Good post. But I reckon this narrative about Rohan being a dud in finals is unfair. Sure, he was bad in the two grand finals he's played in, but watch the prelims again North and Geelong again - he was awesome in both and I thought equal BOG with Heeney in the Geelong game.

He's been solid to great in his finals games I've thought, just not in the granny.

Is Jones injured, knackered or just putting his feet up now the ink is dry ? (really, I doubt the latter). Another poor game. I don't think he hit a single target until the last quarter (not counting plenty of passes to Geelong players) and he looked a complete liability in defence. He was great when we were travelling winless but seems to be fading away as the season progresses. Perhaps the year's taken its toll. He's only young and he put in a hell of a lot during the early season. I'm thinking he may need a good rest and freshen up before finals.
Totally agree.Maybe a rest or a game in the twos. Seems to have lost confidence big time.Rose would make a great replacement right now with the form he is in.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Nice of Jack to remind us that he's still one helluva midfielder. Seemed to be everywhere, makes quick decisions and has the skills to execute them. One of the advantages of giving him a good rest and getting his body right is he is hitting some great form at the pointy end of the season. Macca too - one of our best. The older boys are going to be in very good shape come finals time (assuming we make the finals of course). Sam Reid reminded us of why he's so valuable. Given how well he's plays both ends of the ground nowadays I'll forgive him the time it took to bring about the finished product. The down side is his value to opposition teams is increasing every game. He is one seriously talented unit. Two KPPs for the price of one.
Agree that it is great to have KJ back in full fitness. BUT his blind kicking into the forward line cost us 3 turnovers on Friday.He needs to fix that up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty solid group we've had and Melican looks set to continue the trend of dour defenders. Although Barry probably doesn't fit the dour tag as much as the others. He had a fair bit of flair and dash about him for a FB. Decent highlight reel.

Craig Bolton probably the pick of the bunch for mine.

I agree. Dour as a group but Barry was a live wire.
Our defence has been so good because of balance IMO.

Roos/Dunks working alongside Bayes/Heuskes

Dempster/Bolts working alongside Tadgh/Leo.

Teddy/Reg working alongside Shawry/Marty & Mal.

Dot a few Smittys, AJs, LRTs, Cressas & Crouchs in there too for a bit more coverage & flexibility.

Always a good focus on a solid few + some creativity around them.

Our defenders have always been my favourites at the Swans. The poor guys are scrutinised to the nth degree for every touch, every slightly wayward kick and every goal scored against them while some fans constantly call for their heads to roll. The one adage that always rings true for me is 'Defence wins games'. Roll on you ugly Swans.

Saddington was one of the few Swans I never warmed to. Showed flashes of real talent then nothing

But his legs...

True enough though. He maximised his talent. That's all we can really say about Saddo. We were pretty workmanlike in defence in those days.

He made good decisions too

Early goal he went back saw the goal square empty and went bang
A great goal. It was a solid win in the end but they put up a pretty good fight given their outs. Their lack of discipline in the last quarter cost them any chance, as did the loss of Selwood. They've been playing much better last quarters than us this year so we got a bit of luck on our side.

The most impressive thing is that we've traditionally built our defence from rookies and cheap trades. Mills is one of the few really top pick players we've had down back in recent times. Of course the great Paul Roos was already well known as a genuinely talented player but most of our top defenders were picked up in the bargain bin.

A sign of a mature footballer, knowing their limitations and sticking to what they do best.

I actually think you're underselling him here and I've certainly been guilty of this in the past. Understanding his own limitations waa definitely the first step in the process and ever since then he has been incredibly reliable in our back half. But over the past 3-4 years he has obviously been working incredibly hard on improving his kicking skills. If you were to watch a game from 2012, you'd see only very short kicks to someone in the clear or looking to handball off in the classic Dunkley fullback stereotype. But he now kicks long to leading players perfectly to advantage and can even kick well on his non-preferred. And obviously these skills are on show under a fair amount of pressure too.

This isn't a crack at your opinion btw, just that I wanted to really sing Grundy's praises!

Agree that it is great to have KJ back in full fitness. BUT his blind kicking into the forward line cost us 3 turnovers on Friday.He needs to fix that up.

And one of them again was because he was completely unable to kick off his right foot. Was right on the edge of the 50 with a great option available inside, but he had to turn almost 180 degrees back into traffic to use his left foot and with the extra pressure couldn't find a target.

His renaissance has been fantastic to watch, but this shortcoming is SO frustrating to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back