Sydney vs GWS qualifying final - good / bad

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel for rhe Hawks fans. They get the job done but really like to make it hard this year. Clearly the way to beat them is to kick 12 goals clear.

Hawks are falling off the cliff before our eyes.

Really wanted to play Geelong.

I fear the build up for this match will take a much greater toll on our boys. Yes Homebush is good but not really a great result.

Anyways is what it is.

Reckon a Sydney first final is just what we need. Boys can prepare in familiar surrounds in an indifferent home town. The hype will be nothing like that to be found in Melbourne. You can toss a coin between Swans and Cats as an opponent IMO. I am wrapped.
Agreed but a matchup on the Hawks after that would be great.

Yes, like others, not sure if we escaped the frying pan for the fire in terms of opponent, with Sydney in great form at ANZ rather than Geelong at MCG or Etihad. Nonetheless, we have to win 3 games including an MCG game to take a flag so just have to deal with what we have. Suspect that the comfort of staying in Sydney and regular routines will be good for our boys, and whatever happens, the next game will similarly be in our usual surrounds. From a personal perspective, much prefer having to just travel Canberra to Sydney rather than to Melbourne (at least at this point :D). As long as it's not a Thursday or Friday night game. AFL would be stupid to do that, with Sydney traffic etc.

Last edited:
We are guaranteed the next two games in Sydney. If we lose the first, but win the 2nd, we get a third game in Sydney.

We go in against the Swans on an almost equal footing.

Having said that, if we lost the first game, we are odds on to come up against Adelaide, who I rate quite highly, even if they slipped up the other night.

From an AFL perspective - they could not have scripted this any better if they tried: two Sydney teams playing against each other first week; Cats vs Hawks at the G; an Adelaide final and a Perth final.

We are guaranteed the next two games in Sydney. If we lose the first, but win the 2nd, we get a third game in Sydney.

We go in against the Swans on an almost equal footing.

Having said that, if we lost the first game, we are odds on to come up against Adelaide, who I rate quite highly, even if they slipped up the other night.

From an AFL perspective - they could not have scripted this any better if they tried: two Sydney teams playing against each other first week; Cats vs Hawks at the G; an Adelaide final and a Perth final.

A very AFL (not VFL) final weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure the third game would be at home for whoever won in the first week - we'd come up against the winner of Hawthorn/Geelong, so it'd be in Melbourne.

At most we get two Sydney games - win (SYD), win (SYD), GF in Melbourne, or lose (SYD), win (SYD), PF and GF in Melbourne.

Pretty sure the third game would be at home for whoever won in the first week - we'd come up against the winner of Hawthorn/Geelong, so it'd be in Melbourne.

At most we get two Sydney games - win (SYD), win (SYD), GF in Melbourne, or lose (SYD), win (SYD), PF and GF in Melbourne.

Yeh, you're right - was getting a bit too excited!

Lol.

And in answering the other question from the other poster above SCG or Spotless. They wouldnt impose an scg game upon gws if they are the home team.

Yeah they would, but at the moment only against Sydney. The SCG has approximately double the capacity and the AFL have no qualms doing it to teams in Melbourne with a home ground other than the MCG if the MCG will otherwise be empty.

Yeah they would, but at the moment only against Sydney. The SCG has approximately double the capacity and the AFL have no qualms doing it to teams in Melbourne with a home ground other than the MCG if the MCG will otherwise be empty.

That's right. After this year, the next time we play the Swans in a final (excl the GF), regardless of who finishes higher, the game will be played at the SCG.

afl.com now saying Giants prelim could be at ANZ. Let your club know how you feel Giant fans.
24k @ Spotless > 28k @ ANZ

If they try to pull that one on you guys, i'll lead the public outcry against it. Swans are reasonable fan base, not one eyed nutters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back