Sydney vs. Hawthorn next week (possibly!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
Sydney lost tonight to Brisbane, and at the 15 minute mark in the final quarter, Adelaide are trailling Freo by three goals, a bit of a shock. If Fremantle win tonight, we'll keep the seventh spot. I'm hoping Fremantle beat Adelaide because I believe that if we get to play the Hawks next week, we could have a good chance of knocking htem off.
If Adelaide do loss tonight
we will be playing Hawthorn next week, most probably @ Colonial
and if we win that match we'll play the loser of the Port Adelaide - Brisbane Lions match.

yep hawthorn it is
i will be a good game
hawthorn will be keen to salvage something from a season which has gone rapidly downhill
sydney has just a bout a full list to choose from so i think out of all the teams sydney would most prefer to play first week it would be hawthorn
sydney also cleaned up the hawks in melbourne this year so that will give them some confidence and they generally play colonial well
i think if sydney get over hawthorn this week and play competivally next week either against brisbane or port i think we could come to the conclusion that it has been a good year for sydney considering never being able to get a full list onto the park

I see where you are coming from goswans, but, with respect, that is a loser mentality.

It is simply not good enough to say "oh well if the Swans make the finals and win one or two then we have had a good year"

no, we haven't had a good year.

It has been another year of chronic under acheivement, missed opportunities and bungled chances.

We are supposed to be a 'top four side' or so the club insists on telling us. Top four sides are GENUINE PREMIERSHIP CONTENDERS. We are not even close, yet the club seems to be happy just be making up the numbers come finals time.

With respect, this is just not good enough, we need a to win a flag - now.

I don't know about you goswans but 68 years is just too long between drinks, and we appear to be absolutely no closer to a flag at all after this year.

I'm sick to death of this rubbish, I'm sick to death of the club gormlessly insisting to the fans and to the media that Sydney are a top four club - thats total crap, we will never be a genuine contender whilst we continue to sit back and accept medocrity.

and I'm afraid that 12-10 and seventh place is a mediocre performance, no matter which way you look at it.

With our list, our coach, our administration, our facilities, our money and our home ground, Seventh place is a SH*THOUSE PERFORMANCE.

Our club is a mentally weak outfit that is happy with mediocrity and lacks the balls and the brains to take itself seriously.

cheers

First of all let me say sorry Bloodstained Angel that i havent replied to your response to my comments as i dont have the net at home, thus i can only get on at my breaks at uni, so i'll try to reply to your comments as best i can.
I also see where you are coming from Bloodstained angel, but i think you have gone a bit far by saying that i have a loser mentality and i'll explain why.
i think you may be a bit confused with your comments and seem to contradict yourself.
U say we havent had a good year and you are right it has been a year chronic under achievement, missed oppurtunities and bungled chances you are right there too.
do i really have a loser mentality or do i have a reality mentality
why do u think its been a bad year and the things mentioned above? because simply we havent had the experience, skills, and mental toughness to eradicate these faults.
as for the club saying were top 4 contenders, well about 11-12 teams say that each year, what are they supposed to say? that they cant make it ? and you could justify those comments for each of those teams b4 the start of the year, sometimes things just dont pan out as you would like
we are very close to being right up there with the best as our performances have proved that its just a matter of being more consistent.
we dont sit back and accept mediocrity. do you really think that? cmon the boys are doing their best, can u prove that they accept where they are?
u seem to forget just how good other teams are around us. the facts are brisbane, essendon, carlton have clearly better lists than us and it is not as simple as winning a flag now. the competition is so even these days that anything on any given day can win
u have to put the year in context its not a loser mentality its just reality
i think this year is much closer to the top 4 than last year
last year we failed to have any big upset wins, simply beating teams around us or below us this year we have given alsmost every side a run for there money
p.s i would like to here you say that the boys dont have the balls or brains to them in person

anyway better sign off. look im not getting stuck into you, its good to converse with fellow supporters just offering a different opinion that all
u going to colonial this week? im not sure if u r from melbourne? i am and i am going .
if u r going i would like to catch up at half time or something
neway speak to u later
cheers

My rhetoric was a little harsh and I'm sorry if I offended

But I'll stick by the general thrust of what I was saying.

I'm sorry, but I have high expectations of the club and anything short of a Gf is not good enough. Like I said - its been 68 years and that is quite long enough to wait thanks very much.

I still believe that with our list, and everything else we have going for us up here in Sydney we should be in the top 4 consistently year after year yet we fail the test miserably - time after time after time.

I'm fed up with watching the Swans win three in a row then lose to the likes of Melbourne (twice) St Kilda and Geelong. These teams are pushovers yet we can't beat them - why ?

Week after week its the same old depressing tale - dropped chest marks, absolutely DIABOLICAL kicking for goal, a complete and utter inability to gather a loose ball bouncing along the ground, a ruckman with absolutely no physical presence whatsoever, so-called 'star players' that go missing in action - just when they are needed most, the list goes on and on.

Just not good enough and the excuses are wearing very thin indeed.

We can't even maintain a decent home ground advantage, (thank god we travel reasonably well) at the SCG ! (for chrissake)

Our performances against Brisbane, Western Bulldogs, Geelong and Melbourne at the SCG this year were terrible - and once again just not good enough for a so-called top four side.

Against Essendon we were clearly the better team but got rolled in the final minutes, not because Ess were better, but because we made something like 6 absolute unforced clangers that let them in - again totally unacceptable and shows us up for the mental pygmies that we truly are.

and what does the club say about that ? - oh, its ok we should have won anyway.

Well bluddy heck - we 'should have' won the 1996 premiership, we 'should have' won the 1986 premiership, we 'should have' at least made the 1970 Grand Final, we 'should have' won the 1945 premiership, we should have won the 1935 and 1936 flags too.

I tell ya goswans, I don't know about you but I'm getting sick and tired of following a 'should have' team.

Why do we go missing in action all the time ?

On paper we have a team good enough to win the premiership - yet the suggestion is laughable on current form - why ?

As I see it the missing ingredient is all about attitude and the mental state of our players, we don't play to win its as simple as that. Thats why we fluff shots at goal, thats why we spill uncontested marks, thats why we drop our heads as soon as the opposition bang on some goals.

Again I repeat, the club seems happy enough just to make the finals, although we have qualified this year and I'm happy for then players and all that, that elusive flag for Sydney seems as far off as its ever been.

and thats just not good enough.

To win the flag you have to have self-belief, bordering on the arrogant. Powerful clubs like Carlton and Essendon don't just think they'll win - they expect to win and nothing else is acceptable.

By contrast our attitude here in Sydney is one of 'oh well win a few lose a few and thats life' - bulls^t it is.

If Sydney finally manage to live up to its own hype and publicity, we would win flag after flag and fill Stadium Australia every week, we would be the absolute number 1 sports club in all of Australia - as we should be.

But no, comfortable mediocrity seems to be where we are at - and I'm spewing about it.

Thanks for the invite on Sunday but unfortunately I can't go down to Melbourne this weekend, I've got a course to go to on Saturday.

Try to team up with Des and Steve and AnnieSwan from RedandWhite online, they are all going down and they should be with the cheer squad on the day.

have fun mate and i hope my rant hasn't depressed you too much !

cheers

yep everything u say in your response is correct
for all your questions i have no answers
i know what u mean when u say u r fed up watching them play well for a patch then drop off like a totally different team it makes me extremely frustrated as well
u rant hasnt depressed me much
actually its quite refreshing to converse with a swans supporter who has as much knowledge about them as u have
yep everything u say is correct and spot on i agree with everything u say totally
actually u sound like its really getting to u, all the crap the swans, i can tell u it gets to me just as much, but i hope u seriously dont get so sick and tired of all the disapointment that u give the swans up, and there extremely frustrating to watch, but hey, can u seriously see yourself following anyone else?
pity u cant make it down to the match on sun
ill be sitting near the cheersquad on sun so ill try and suss out if i can find ur mates
speak to u soon

thanks for your encouraging words goswanz14

I'll be a fan of the red and White till the day I die. Sorry if I sounded really negative but I'm sure you can appreciate it is frustrating at times.

I'm sure fans of Geelong, StKilda, and Melbourne can identify with our feelings as well.

As you say - who else am I going to barrack for ?

... and it could be worse, just think what fans of Fitzroy have been through recently, and fans of North Melbourne I'm sure are sick to death of wiping mud off their faces all the time as well.

Have fun down there on Sunday mate.

oh and I don't know Des, SteveRWO and AnnieSwan personally, I just talk a bit with them on Rivals.

cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back