Autopsy Sydney Vs Pies Round 20 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

As an opposition supporter, i don't see that much of the swans up close. Having had a good look at them on saturday night, it is difficult to believe how much they are struggling. To require a fluke of a goal to win a game against that coll team shows just how poorly the swannies are travelling right now. That was the weakest coll team to take a field for a long, long time - and then they lost their only remaining key defender at the start of 2nd quarter. And they still should have won comfortably but for a poor 3rd quarter. Do you guys blame Longmire for what is happening at swans this year? Their style of play on saturday night was hard to beleive at times. Slow, going backwards, apparently not prepared to back their teammates in a contest further up the field. In all honesty you are probably better off missing the 8 this year - what some of the teams in the 8 will do to sydney in a final is frightening on current form, and a scarring the players don't need

We lost to the Gold Coast so we are under no illusion how well we are travelling :)

As an opposition supporter, i don't see that much of the swans up close. Having had a good look at them on saturday night, it is difficult to believe how much they are struggling. To require a fluke of a goal to win a game against that coll team shows just how poorly the swannies are travelling right now. That was the weakest coll team to take a field for a long, long time - and then they lost their only remaining key defender at the start of 2nd quarter. And they still should have won comfortably but for a poor 3rd quarter. Do you guys blame Longmire for what is happening at swans this year? Their style of play on saturday night was hard to beleive at times. Slow, going backwards, apparently not prepared to back their teammates in a contest further up the field. In all honesty you are probably better off missing the 8 this year - what some of the teams in the 8 will do to sydney in a final is frightening on current form, and a scarring the players don't need

I'd say our lack of ability to move the ball quickly is that for the last few years our options would have included a quicker Hanners, KJack, Rohan sort presenting for shorter leads through the middle, and if that didn't happen then we could bomb it down the line to a contest where a reid or sinclair or naismith or tippett could take a pack mark or at least bring it to ground.

Whereas at the moment our current tall options are Sinclair, who spends most of his time in the ruck, Bud, who spends most of his time around 50m out, and McCartin who's in his first year. Which means that every time we look to bomb it down the line there's a much greater chance that it will be picked off by defenders (which fortunately for us the other night you didn't have any left), which leads to us chipping the ball around waiting for a short option which gives oppo mids the chance to push up and press us into the d50.

We need to get our mids into more space and move the ball with short quick kicks or quick hands, in the last quarter we just kept bombing it long and colls just kept pumping it back in which got you guys back into the game.

So ultimately its probably a combination of lacking tall targets and needing to tweak the gameplan to suit

considering all your points - the fact this team still beat the Mags says a lot about how artificially inflated Collingwood's ladder position is based on an extremely favorable draw.

Reid, Melican, Mills, Rohan, Naismith, Hannebery, Jones all missing on the weekend.

And all I heard about was how 'brave' Collingwood were.

Fair enough, Treloar and De Goey are massive outs.

Wells and Elliot haven't played in two years.

Reid has been injury prone for years.

Dunn, Goldsack, Scharenberg, Howe are all on the same wave length as our injuries to our key players.

Dunn and Goldsack aren't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination.

We have more upside than Collingwood going forward.

As an opposition supporter, i don't see that much of the swans up close. Having had a good look at them on saturday night, it is difficult to believe how much they are struggling. To require a fluke of a goal to win a game against that coll team shows just how poorly the swannies are travelling right now. That was the weakest coll team to take a field for a long, long time - and then they lost their only remaining key defender at the start of 2nd quarter.
Given Franklin kicked three on him in a quarter (would have been four of Franklin was umpired the same way as Cox), I don't think you missed him.

Just watched the replay.
No main ruckman (without Naismith), we never got first use - means we get bogged down in defensive 50 and opposition puts up wall and shuts us in.
To keep blaming Horse for being deliberately boring is purely ignorant.
Collingwood put the heat on us big time.

But note one big factor:
Frees at halftime were 17-6 against Sydney.
Watching the replay closely, there are around a dozen HTB, throws, pushes, high tackles against Collingwood - but the umpires just don't whistle them.
This gave Collingwood a massive momentum and possession boost in the first half.
Is this umpire cheating or incompetence or both? Who knows? But the trend is really suspicious, very concerning.
Look at recent history.
NMelb game: 20-9 frees against Swans
Essendon: 28-14 frees against Swans
GCoast: after quarter time,. 15-6 frees against Swans.
Collingwood: 17-6 at halftime against Swans.
Now, it's pretty clear that Melbourne-based umpires are taking things into their own hands. More to come on this. Remember the Alamo (GF 2016).

So, BOTTOM LINE: huge hitout/clearances against; smashed in free kicks; smashed in umpire non-decisions - YET great defence, Buddy, young guys getting stuck in - great win.

So, instead of bitching anonymously at this great club, why not celebrate a great win against the odds.

Given Franklin kicked three on him in a quarter (would have been four of Franklin was umpired the same way as Cox), I don't think you missed him.

And McCartin's goal wouldn't have been needed had the same Cox rules been applied a mere 5 seconds prior when Franklin was blatantly dragged by the arm in the marking contest. Not to mention another blatant hold of the arm that I think Mihocek got away with inside forward 50 earlier that quarter.

I blame our draw, we want the collingwood package next year, you know multiple games against the worst sides, barely travel,

helps inflate the ladder position

Glad you popped around, I was wondering about missing the finals and what the hell do you do with yourself if your team doesn't make them, it is such an unusual position I am finding myself in. Can you let me know given your expertise in this area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the replay.
No main ruckman (without Naismith), we never got first use - means we get bogged down in defensive 50 and opposition puts up wall and shuts us in.

But note one big factor:
Watching the replay closely, there are around a dozen HTB, throws, pushes, high tackles against Collingwood - but the umpires just don't whistle them.
This gave Collingwood a massive momentum and possession boost in the first half.
Is this umpire cheating or incompetence or both? Who knows? But the trend is really suspicious, very concerning.
Look at recent history.
Now, it's pretty clear that Melbourne-based umpires are taking things into their own hands. More to come on this. Remember the Alamo (GF 2016).

So, BOTTOM LINE: huge hitout/clearances against; smashed in free kicks; smashed in umpire non-decisions - YET great defence, Buddy, young guys getting stuck in - great win.

So, instead of bitching anonymously at this great club, why not celebrate a great win against the odds.

Free kick count was 10-1 against us in the 2nd.

3rs qtr it was 5-1 to us warly on and we surged.

Frees certainly effect momentum

Reid, Melican, Mills, Rohan, Naismith, Hannebery, Jones all missing on the weekend.

And all I heard about was how 'brave' Collingwood were.

Fair enough, Treloar and De Goey are massive outs.

Wells and Elliot haven't played in two years.

Reid has been injury prone for years.

Dunn, Goldsack, Scharenberg, Howe are all on the same wave length as our injuries to our key players.

Dunn and Goldsack aren't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination.

We have more upside than Collingwood going forward.
Just watched the replay.

But note one big factor:
Look at recent history.

How about just before the "lucky winning goal" by McCartin JPK get tackled to ground without the ball by Taywa Adwams.
No free kick 10 metres out, right in front of umpires urging the Pies over the line.
Blatant neglect of their job right there. Kennedy was not amused.
The McCartin goal saved the AFL having to come out again & say "that was an error & shoukd have been a free to the Swans"

Last edited:
don't know what game you were watching but allir got put on cox late when johnson was getting toweled up. he might have been caught on him early because of johnsons bad positioning. if its composed to kick it to the opposition and hobble around the back 50 then he was composed.
Clearly we see things differently. What we see often reflects more about our own filters than any so called "reality." I am happy to welcome back AJ into our best 22. You are welcome to remain unhappy at the prospect of AJ keeping somebody else out of team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back