Autopsy Sydney vs Richmond Rd 15 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I think you are drastically underestimating the impact Hanners 20 disposals had on the game. They clearly played a huge part... in winning it for the tiges. :(

Rarely have I seen the board so united in wanting a stalwart dropped.
But 3 at once?? :eek: It's unheard of, but I haven't seen anyone coming to the defense of Hanners, Jack or Rohan yet. Nor should they IMHO. All three must be dropped and youngsters given a chance at nailing down a spot before finals. We aren't going to win lickedy split with those 3 come the pointy end.
He doesn't need dropping, he needs resting. Everyone knows he's injured...get the ******* thing right! He's only 27, plenty of football ahead of him!

Rather than look at last nights performances for the underperformers they should look at the last 3 or 4 games and rate it that way.

Sadly it may still be the same result but can't see all three being omitted. I'm guessing Rohan against Geelong might stay match up wise for speed but would be pretty lucky.

Hanners I'd give him another shot telling him he's on the cusp and drop Jack to serve notice.

If there are real (can't ignore)standouts in the reserves x 3 on Saturday then different story.

3 omitted is reactionary and rightly or wrongly I don’t think that is going to be the case against the cats line up. Balance of youth and experience is going to be a consideration. Less inferred pressure and maybe Hanners and Jack have good games.

Something like he hit his head on the ground near the start of the 2nd. came off was tested past the concussion test at halftime. went on and came off in the 3rd as it got worse.

Cheers mate

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He doesn't need dropping, he needs resting. Everyone knows he's injured...get the ******* thing right! He's only 27, plenty of football ahead of him....in the NEAFL!

Fixed that for you. He's been injured for what 18 months now? That's about as long as you get in pro sports before people throw in the towel on your behalf. Of course you are right, he may get better - but he should do so at the lower level until ready and his poor form isn't costing us games.

lollol

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2014
NT
AFL Club
Sydney
when we got within a kick we suddenly went very hesitant with the ball and Richmond pounced
Yep, playing to not * up, instead of playing to win.

Turnovers killed us, but our intent was the real issue. A complete lack of creativity when trying to bypass the press. Resulted in poor decision making and execution errors. Not to mention our players lack of movement, further up the field. Lots of kicks to stagnate player in the middle of a press (a counter attacking teams wet dream).

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Lots of mentions of the usual culprits, but last night sitting in the cheer squad where our backline played in the last quarter I can only put the ownace on one bloke. Jake Lloyd was horrendous, cheap possessions by running around the back of a player and asking for it didn’t fool me last night, he butchered the ball around 6 times coming out of the backline straight to a Richmond tit when the game was on the line with 4 points in it. Our defence was standing up, all we needed was one opportunity through clean possession to get the game on our side and he fluffed it time and time again, then we broke.
It certainly wasn’t his greatest game but he’s been an absolute stalwart for us in defence this year.

Kolah

Senior List
Dec 29, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Ling’s best moment last night, after repeated replays of Grimes cannoning into Parker and hyperextending Parker’s arm when play had stopped, was to ask five minutes later if Parker “had hurt himself”. Ling just sounds like an idiot. He’s actually a nasty piece of work.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
One positive is that we played incredibly poor and were still in the game.

Jack has to go however its a tricky situation because if we bring in another kid, we are dangerously close to playing a team that is too young. Hayward,florent,aliir,ronke,mccartin and then add one to replace jack, is a hell of alot of inexperienced players to be playing in a team fighting for a flag. Whilst they are all talented, given their age and inexperience,they are all a huge risk to play poorly at any given time.

But right now , jack is costing us big time. He is getting caught far too much and fumbling the ball costing us vital contests.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Also mccartin is on an extremely steep learning curve, his contested marking is quickly becoming a good weapon for us.. his kicking can be atrocious,but given his age, experience and lack of muscle....he is more than holding his spot and right now he would be keeping reid out.

I know we all lament some players being carried every game and our historically poor foot skills, but our club is in a very good position going forward. Id back our youth against any team in the league right now

adam waite

Senior List
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I can see where you are coming from

So you drop all 3, who comes in? remembering heeney and papley must both have doubt around them
Good Question. Horse is leaving it too late to make massive changes. He has been watching the slow demise of Hanners, Kizza and Rohan, and has missed the chance to blood more youngsters, in the early rounds. Kizzas body is shot from going hard in the midfield for many years. Hanners still has the goods, but i think he needs contact lenses, its my excuse as to why he keeps kicking to opposition players.
Rohan. Talented, speedy, good overhead mark, reliable kick. Bang ! Horrific injury fights his way back into team, goes missing in finals, and games that count. We will mke finals this year on the back of our youngsters1

Not sure why there is so much doom and gloom on here.
What I saw last night at the game was two terrific sides going at it.
The fact that Sydney played badly (by their very, very lofty standards) and to be within a kick early in the last quarter is testimony to the side they are.
Lots to like about your performance last night in my opinion. I was in awe of how good these two sides are.
If that's a crap game by the Swans, then you'd be pretty happy.
See you in the grand final.
Yes, I think it will be a Tiges-Swans GF.
PS: McCartin wow.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You need to factor in the sense of entitlement for the Tigers supporters at the moment.
They are reigning premiers, had a good win, but still focus on what they didn't get instead of focusing on what they did get.

The wheels will fall off eventually. They have too many supporters for them not to.

I Liked them better when they were s**t tbh. Having said that all clubs have got em.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Also mccartin is on an extremely steep learning curve, his contested marking is quickly becoming a good weapon for us.. his kicking can be atrocious,but given his age, experience and lack of muscle....he is more than holding his spot and right now he would be keeping reid out.

I know we all lament some players being carried every game and our historically poor foot skills, but our club is in a very good position going forward. Id back our youth against any team in the league right now

Agree with all of this except for the Reid part. No way does McCartin keep a fit Reid out of the team.

I would play both personally, but Reid is far better player at this stage and that’s no slight on McCartin who I am a big fan of.

The fact that Sydney played badly (by their very, very lofty standards) and to be within a kick early in the last quarter is testimony to the side they are.
Lots to like about your performance last night in my opinion. I was in awe of how good these two sides are.
Thanks tugga, agree wholeheartedly!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

You're underselling your team a little your pressure and intensity made us cause errors and record turnovers which your team feasts on.

You run and pressure for 4 quarters its quite remarkable whatever happened in the 2016 off-season has potentially changed your club for the next decade.

You're underselling your team a little your pressure and intensity made us cause errors and record turnovers which your team feasts on.

You run and pressure for 4 quarters its quite remarkable whatever happened in the 2016 off-season has potentially changed your club for the next decade.
Kind words. Thank you.
There was two goals in it halfway through the last. I wouldn't be writing off your team. Swans are ALWAYS therabouts.
Yes, the club delved deep after 2016 and recognised their shortcomings. I think Gale and Balme have been great for us.
I'm enoying going to the footy every week and expecting, rather than hoping, to win for a change.
But this is what Swans supporters such as yourself have been doing for more than a decade now. My club has only been doing it for 12 months.
Much respect to your club. Have a lot of ex South Melb fans as mates.

swanscrazy23

Draftee
Jun 28, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
i feel like last night really gave us a good perspective where the swans are at, we competed extremely well all over the ground for 3 quarters and a half however our creativity coming out of defence lacked as well as our ball use going forward was poor. Too many times we bombed it forward without thinking it through therefore giving our forwards no time to properly set up. we did however match Richmond (the team to beat at the moment) around the ball convincingly winning the centre clearances. Throw sam Reid and Tom Papley in to that team which will shorten the long tail of players that we had last night not contributing. being within a kick with 10 minutes left... exciting times to come for the rest of the season

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Never!

I thought Aliir was pretty good last night but like the rest of our defenders was just lost at sea a fair bit of the time. A lot on here have commented how Aliir was slow off the mark and trailing Riewoldt for a lot of the night, but he was quite often covering two men at once and would lose one to try and cover the other. The same happened to Sir Dane at times. It was genuinely like we didn’t have enough numbers down back or something. Probably to be expected when they were getting it down there at light speed from our turnovers.

Yeah I thought Allir had some good moments too and then at other times dropped a mark or two that added pressure (although Allir was by no means alone in this department - see Hayward, Smith etc). You take the good with the bad and expect some inconsistency from someone with as few games as Allir has played. Whilst he dropped the mark or two he also prevented Jack Riewoldt from getting a clear run at it.

Agreed that the poor composure and turnovers from half backline onwards would have made it nearly impossible to defend against (see what happened to Rance when one out with Buddy) following Kennedy's quick centre clearance.

Look forward to seeing what Allir Allir brings in future games and hope MC keep him in the team for the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back