Politics Sydneys 2nd Airport, For or Against

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like this shitfight has been going on all my life. I wonder if the real strategy was to build it when a generation of Nimby's got too old and feeble to fight on.
My bottom line is build it, or dont build it. I couldn't care less. Just end it.

Don't think we'd have the necessary infrastructure to support the airport i.e. train lines and/or bus lines. But I do think it's a good idea if we can get on top of that.

Rather the money go towards that than giving out loans to overseas multinationals to build a coal mine rail link that has significantly less public benefit

Im all for it as i travel to perth a lot to see family. And i live in the Camden area. So my 3 hour trip to the airport (including parking and the other jazz) suddenly becomes a lot more efficient.

In terms of infrastructure for public transport. This is going to be an issue. I know in oran park where I live, they talked about putting a train line right through the middle. And there was uproar. So the only way is to go underground which is a significantly higher investment.

However i dont think public transport is a major issue in the early years as there will be plenty of room for huge carparks. As long as they make the price reasonable

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

With regards to the infrastructure,

The roads- are being built, expanded now (incl Northern Road)
Trains- hmmm. Government said they had learnt from Kingsford Smith, and then announced no rail to be built till after the airport is built. Doh!
There is talk they will just extend the Leppo line a bit to get a link quickly and to then expand at a later date (A line ext from Leppo to StMarys interchange is the early fav)
Buses- Goes with the roads and is probably easiest to build will be up and running before airport.

It does seem like to start that Kingsford will be a premium QANTAS like service while your Jetstars budget etc will be at Badgerys. Good idea me thinks actually.

My thoughts are this will turn Penrith or Liverpool into the 2nd big business district (overtaking Parra)

There are also rumours that 2 of the 4 designs incl a 40k multipurpose stadium, but with the rebuilt parra and anz that may go (cricket and footy fans screwed again in the west)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Trains- hmmm. Government said they had learnt from Kingsford Smith, and then announced no rail to be built till after the airport is built. Doh!

Sounds like there's a fair chance funding for it comes out of the infrastructure funding announced in the budget, which will be great.

Sounds like there's a fair chance funding for it comes out of the infrastructure funding announced in the budget, which will be great.
I hope so.
I can't stress enough how important a rail link is for the success and benefit for the airport. Not just saying that because of my career either.

Don't think we'd have the necessary infrastructure to support the airport i.e. train lines and/or bus lines. But I do think it's a good idea if we can get on top of that.

Rather the money go towards that than giving out loans to overseas multinationals to build a coal mine rail link that has significantly less public benefit
There is that. The money spent digging tunnels around the Strathfield junction so Coal trains from the Hunter can get to ships in Botany easily must have hurt someone. Still not sure if that was ultinately public money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont get me started.

I've read the initial site selection report (1985) - that's 32 years ago when they were selecting a site for an airport one tenth the size of the proposed airport, the original EIS from 2000 (which advocated the airport but contained enough to say no) and the SMEC Auditors Report on the EIS (which said the EIS was pretty deficient in a lot of areas)

This will not work on an environmental level, on a social level or an economic level. It will create more problems than it solves - and it WILL NOT SOLVE the noice problem at KSA.

How do people feel about hundreds of extra fuel tankers on the M4 every week? (because there's no fuel depot or pipeline in WS, they have to truck it in daily) with an estimated 8-10 accidents each year predicted (they say "minor", no fatalities, but there's nothing minor about an accident involving a tanker crammed with AVGAS)

What happens to aircraft movements if a westerly blows in?
Ha ha. Trick question- nobody knows. They never modeled it.

Second airports don't work anywhere in the world like they are proposing here. They just don't.

I could go on, and on, and on, with everything that's wrong with is this ridiculous idea, but I won't, I'll just say....

STUPID IDEA, STUPID IDEA, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Huge positive for Sydney and Greater Western Sydney as a whole.
Massive uplift in employment, during building and operation.
Hard to find a negative unless you live directly under the takeoff landing zone or where they want to build it.
That ia my next question. I still cant find any confirmation on where the runway will face.

Really hope we dont have A380,s low flying over Camden.

Thats my only issue

Dont get me started.

I've read the initial site selection report (1985) - that's 32 years ago when they were selecting a site for an airport one tenth the size of the proposed airport, the original EIS from 2000 (which advocated the airport but contained enough to say no) and the SMEC Auditors Report on the EIS (which said the EIS was pretty deficient in a lot of areas)

This will not work on an environmental level, on a social level or an economic level. It will create more problems than it solves - and it WILL NOT SOLVE the noice problem at KSA.

How do people feel about hundreds of extra fuel tankers on the M4 every week? (because there's no fuel depot or pipeline in WS, they have to truck it in daily) with an estimated 8-10 accidents each year predicted (they say "minor", no fatalities, but there's nothing minor about an accident involving a tanker crammed with AVGAS)

Second airports don't work anywhere in the world like they are proposing here. They just don't.

I could go on, and on, and on, with everything that's wrong with is this ridiculous idea, but I won't, I'll just say....

So im guessing you live in Badgerys Creek Ichabod ? :)

Dont get me started.

So thats a no?

Such a fence sitter is our Ichabod.

That ia my next question. I still cant find any confirmation on where the runway will face.

Really hope we dont have A380,s low flying over Camden.

Thats my only issue

Pretty sure it'll be horizontal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back