Analysis Sydney's depth - an analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

We will struggle in defense in 2015. Grundy and Ted can't stand up forever, Mal is gone, AJ, who knows... Reid maybe, Shaw... on the downhill run, that leaves Rampe and Smith, both of whom can hold their own, but we will be on a gamble to nothing next year. Mids and forwards galore, but there seems to be very little forethought when it comes to depth in defense.

We will struggle in defense in 2015. Grundy and Ted can't stand up forever, Mal is gone, AJ, who knows... Reid maybe, Shaw... on the downhill run, that leaves Rampe and Smith, both of whom can hold their own, but we will be on a gamble to nothing next year. Mids and forwards galore, but there seems to be very little forethought when it comes to depth in defense.

If Reid rolls out in pre season with the defence then i will feel more assured, also lets see if we had a few free agents again.

Laidler is also handy.

Not saying you arent right but i guess if you analyse every teams defensive stocks its similar, there actually is a lack of quality defenders in the league imo.

As for the depth i dunno, if i was bored enough it would be interesting to compare to a few other teams.

Not saying you arent right but i guess if you analyse every teams defensive stocks its similar, there actually is a lack of quality defenders in the league imo.
Here's the rest of the top 4

Hawthorn: Frawley, Lake, Gibson, Stratton, Schoenmakers, Litherland, Spangher
Norf: Thompson, Hansen, Grima, Delaney, Tippett
Port: Trengove, Hombsch, O'Shea, Carlile, Clurey

Sydney: Richards, Grundy, Richards, Aliir, Reid?

Last edited:

clearly hawthorns depth is a lot better than the other 3

clearly hawthorns depth is a lot better than the other 3
Yep. Players giving up $$$ to go for a premiership... Sounds familiar but without any massive allowance/rule changes resulting from media/"heartland" clubs outrage basically directly controlling the AFL... It's clear COLA is the reason we've poached superstars in every line... wait a second.....

Yep. Players giving up $$$ to go for a premiership... Sounds familiar but without any massive allowance/rule changes resulting from media/"heartland" clubs outrage basically directly controlling the AFL... It's clear COLA is the reason we've poached superstars in every line... wait a second.....

Its the biggest blowup and mass hysteria i have seen alongside the Academy.

We lost a legit equalization method for rookies and draftees because of some mindboggling crusade by one person.

Spineless AFL.

XR and Aliir 1 quarter between them.

Reid we don't know if he is even going to be moved back , plus the question is could he hold down CHB.

Ted 32.

gee wiz

If our midfield do their job and our forwards do theirs, then the pressure on defence becomes irrelevant.
We are building a stock of youngsters to take over from the older defenders.
Otherwise, we would hav matched the GC offer.
Quite comfortable with where we are across the park - big names upfront, great midfield, youth being groomed. So to speak.

That's the big one IMO. AJ wasn't meant to be injured. Not this long anyway. We went for the big gun key fwds with the idea we'd have Mal & AJ out there in defence the next few years to help cover Grundy & Ted. Rampe has been a very good move as was Laidler. Reid should be able to develop his defensive game to take a spot IMO but it sure as hell would have been nice seeing AJ fit & firing but it's something you can't really prepare for (injury).

I agree this is an area of concern, and I expect us to use our first live pick in the draft to address this. Personally I think Reid has to go to defense, we have to at least see if he can play back there, he flourished as a 20 year old at CHF but since he was displaced in his role by Franklin and Tippett he has looked lost. Hopefully with a new role at CHB he will prosper again, he's certainly talented enough. One player you've left out is Dane Rampe, he may not be large but he has played adequately on third talls (such as his impressive role on Gunston in our H&A meetings with Hawthorn) and he's the same size as Ben Stratton and Josh Gibson. Furthermore game time needs to be given to Aliir Aliir and X Richards when the opportunity presents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frawley
Lake
Gibson
Spangher

All from other clubs no reason we cant do the same if we are smart.

But your not smart. You pay a plodding forward from Adelaide a mill a year

(Mod edit: User banned for trolling)

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just thinking about the chance that AJ could be back in the fray in 2015... Geez I hope to see him back fit and firing. Be it 2015 or 2016. Can't wait to see him don the red & white again...

Anyway, was thinking about our supposed lack of depth in defence with Mal gone... We essentially have these guys able to plug holes in defence as required:

1st Tier (Our backmen - The "true" KPD's)

Teddy, Grundy, Smith, AJ, Laidler

2nd Tier (The help - Mainly defender roles but do/can push up the ground)

Shaw, Jones, Rohan, Rampe

3rd Tier (The emergencies - Not usually a defender/largely untested/still finding their feet - but can plug holes)

Macca, Reid, Towers?, Xav, Allir, Lloyd?, anyone else??

Just looking at that list makes me happy enough we have some good depth in Defence. For me, the most important factors are:

Shaw: Is he going to be able to maintain the rage and last to a good enough standard throughout 2015?
Reid: If we shift him to defence can he cover a spot well enough?
Teddy: See Shaw.
AJ: Can he make it back in time and have an impact?
Xav/Allir/Jones: Can we get some good games into these boys without impacting the team performance too much? Is there actually room for them?

North: Thompson, Hansen, Grima, Delaney, Tippett

Schoenmakers is a failure in defence and Hawks don't want to use him there. He is the one other sides target. Litherland is really a defender for the third tall forward. He is not quite strong enough to play on a power forward or a good strong leading FF. Grima & Thompson (after a wonderful 2013) were shaky at times. Franklin & Tippett tore them apart. You forgot Davis.

XR and Aliir 1 quarter between them.

Reid we don't know if he is even going to be moved back , plus the question is could he hold down CHB.

Ted 32.

gee wiz

He has left out AJ. If he gets back it will be a very strong line up. Punts I have seen the reserves and quite frankly Xav & Aliir are both VERY good players. I think either of them could come in and be very useful, do their role. Don't underestimate them and Aliir is fit and ready to go now too.

As long as their are no injuries, we should be ok down back again this year. Ted and reg will not drop off too dramatically but it is 2016 and beyond I worry about.

Yes it's a massive risk going in with ted and reg as our main ( only) key defensive posts , but we have to make the most of it. Reid needs to be sent permanently sent back and XR and allir need to be gifted games to gain some experience whilst we have the cover of Grundy and Richards

As long as their are no injuries, we should be ok down back again this year. Ted and reg will not drop off too dramatically but it is 2016 and beyond I worry about.

Yes it's a massive risk going in with ted and reg as our main ( only) key defensive posts , but we have to make the most of it. Reid needs to be sent permanently sent back and XR and allir need to be gifted games to gain some experience whilst we have the cover of Grundy and Richards

Facts are we were still the best defensive unit in the league keeping the opposition to a average of ~10 goals and 1488 PA.

There is no such thing as getting no injuries even this year where we used the least amount of players we still had Hanners miss 6 weeks, McGlynn 5 weeks, JPK 4 weeks, Pyke 6? Tippett 6-7.

I think our back 7 should be able to get through another year not sure why there is doom and gloom about Grundy dropping off he is only 28 and can play for another 4-5yrs im mostly worried that he will be a free agent end of 2015..

If we lose Grundy/Richards at the end of 2015 without winning the flag and trade ban still enforced well.............. :drunk:

Was just thinking about the chance that AJ could be back in the fray in 2015... Geez I hope to see him back fit and firing. Be it 2015 or 2016. Can't wait to see him don the red & white again...

Anyway, was thinking about our supposed lack of depth in defence with Mal gone... We essentially have these guys able to plug holes in defence as required:

1st Tier (Our backmen - The "true" KPD's)

Teddy, Grundy, Smith, AJ, Laidler

2nd Tier (The help - Mainly defender roles but do/can push up the ground)

Shaw, Jones, Rohan, Rampe

3rd Tier (The emergencies - Not usually a defender/largely untested/still finding their feet - but can plug holes)

Macca, Reid, Towers?, Xav, Allir, Lloyd?, anyone else??

Just looking at that list makes me happy enough we have some good depth in Defence. For me, the most important factors are:

Shaw: Is he going to be able to maintain the rage and last to a good enough standard throughout 2015?
Reid: If we shift him to defence can he cover a spot well enough?
Teddy: See Shaw.
AJ: Can he make it back in time and have an impact?
Xav/Allir/Jones: Can we get some good games into these boys without impacting the team performance too much? Is there actually room for them?

You forgot Marsh. He is the smoky. Just a point but obviously Horse sees Rohan & Rampe ahead of Laidler.

He has left out AJ. If he gets back it will be a very strong line up. Punts I have seen the reserves and quite frankly Xav & Aliir are both VERY good players. I think either of them could come in and be very useful, do their role. Don't underestimate them and Aliir is fit and ready to go now too.
Seen a fair bit of the 2s this year also and imo I thought Aliir went well and truly past XR before injury.

Not sold on XR and weather he will make it at the elite level ( only my opinion ) but I hope he shuts me up and proves me wrong and is the is the player that's steps up in 2015 ala Lloyd , Cunningham in 2014.

Wont be his agility that holds him up as I think he is very quick etc for his size and moves very well.

The club knows a lot more than me and to give him 2years they must be happy with were he is at.

3rd year now and turning 22 come 2015 so its time to step up.

Probably still needs to put on a few more kgs on the upper body in the off season

Will see when the NAB comes around

Last edited:
What sort of size is allir? Is he a genuine kpd? I was impressed by his footage in the juniors. Seems to read the play well given his limited exp.
He looks a solid lad from the limited vision I've seen. Looks to have a frame perfect for bulking up too imo. But it's his reach & airial work which I recall impressing me most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back