Senior List
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
12 years is a long time.

This is the head to head between the Swans and Eagles from 2008 to 2019:

Sydney - 12
West Coast - 2

Both teams have had their up and downs over that time, yet Sydney continue to put the Eagles away.

Why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

In short, I think they just aren't that good. They had a decent 2011 and 2012 but their problems seem to be in the midfield. Watching them live they don't work hard enough with or without the ball, the Swans found free players far too easily and when the Eagles did have possession they were hardly threatening, and didn't go forward with any great purpose.

1. Clearly the Eagles midfield does not have enough depth, talent or pace to match the Swans. Grunt they can for maybe two or three quarters.
2. They are easy to get on the outside as they appear to be one way runners (down hill skiers), a bit like Collingwood. Hard when going forward for a goal, but soft when they have to get back & defend space.
3. Too many people think they are better than they are.

Crazy John,

Honestly, I think our two lists and game styles were very similar back in 05/06. We were probably the two most complimentary lists in the game for a period there and the results followed.

But the Swans have changed a lot. We swapped coaches a lot sooner and refreshed the list pretty dramatically from 2009 on. The Eagles banged on with what used to work a few years too long.

Our recent dominance probably just follows on from this.

For 4 of those years, West Coast was a much worse side and they were about even for the other 3. It is probably a statistical anomaly as much as anything. Just like the record against Collingwood.

West Coast stopped their drug use? Ben Cousins was a freak in that game, absolutely unstoppable, and in hindsight it's pretty easy to know why

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For 4 of those years, West Coast was a much worse side and they were about even for the other 3. It is probably a statistical anomaly as much as anything. Just like the record against Collingwood.

West Coast were a pretty good side in 2011 and 2012.

They beat every side in the league at least once over that time, with Sydney being the exception.

Most games over the last 7 years between the two sides have been played at Subiaco, which makes your dominance over West Coast even better.

Cocaine is a PED?
cocainesahellofadrug.jpg

Cousins apart from the drugs was a superstar , loved watching him play and I also believe he was much better than Judd.

Cousins was close to the best burst player I'd ever seen at his peak. Always marveled at his energy levels.

Question marks hang over these superhuman displays now, though.

Cousins was close to the best burst player I'd ever seen at his peak. Always marveled at his energy levels.

Question marks hang over these superhuman displays now, though.

Dane Swan is a very similar player to what Cousins was, although he is on the decline now.

Dane Swan is a very similar player to what Cousins was, although he is on the decline now.

I always saw Swan more like Harvey from the Saints. Not pure pace, but just pacey enough, canny at moving through the packs and brilliant at shaking tackles from the hips. Much better kick than Harvs, of course.

Cousins had all that as well. But he just seemed to still be sprinting at will late in 4th qtrs as if it was nothing.

At the moment, west coast are just not hard enough all over the ground to compete with our guys. At times west coast looked intimidated and that reflected in their work ethic.

Cousins was about 3 classes above anything dane swan did

He was west coast by himself before judd got there

People forget how good he was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back