Sydney's Grand Final performance

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen worse in GFs - but those performances were from teams that were expected to get pumped. Sydney were the clear favourite however. It was literally the worst case scenario.

Hawthorn were extremely impressive and made Sydney look very ordinary rather than Sydney just not turning up. Their midfield thoroughly dismantled Sydney's. It was as an impressive, disciplined and ruthless team performance as ive seen in a long time. The pressure Hawthorn applied anytime Sydney got their hands on the footy was maniacal.

Sydney were the clear favourite.

This part still mystifies me. Just because they had a training drill against witches hats in blue & white jumpers and Hawthorn had a real battle against a quality Port side, people start thinking Sydney was the superior team. They just weren't.

This part still mystifies me. Just because they had a training drill against witches hats in blue & white jumpers and Hawthorn had a real battle against a quality Port side, people start thinking Sydney was the superior team. They just weren't.

Yes but I thought they would have a crack

its a GF ffs and they stood around with half hearted and flimsy efforts. That Jetta "effort" on McEvoy summed up Sydney's desperation.

Dismal performance. No dressing it up

All props should be going Hawthorns way. They played out of there skins and completely shut down Sydney

Parker, Mcglynn, Hannebery, Jack where nowhere to be seen because Hawthorn shut down there run.

Yeah it was one of the worst GF performances by Sydney but more so one of the most dominant performances by Hawthorn. Nobody saw that coming

All props should be going Hawthorns way. They played out of there skins and completely shut down Sydney

Parker, Mcglynn, Hannebery, Jack where nowhere to be seen because Hawthorn shut down there run.

Yeah it was one of the worst GF performances by Sydney but more so one of the most dominant performances by Hawthorn. Nobody saw that coming

Roughead's tackle on Hannebery at the start really knocked the stuffings out of him

Play the game a day before or after or even shift it a couple of hours and the result might have been entirely different. Just a mindset thing. Even in the first quarter when Sydney were leading Hawthorn looked like the better and more switched on side, and they came ready to play when it mattered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that was huge, got me off my seat. Also, I think it might of been Bruest who laid a massive pile driver tackle on Hannebery prior to Rougheads tackle

Must of been hurting after the game

Hannebery one of few Swans players to keep having a crack, It was almost as if Hawthorn realised he was the one with some heart

Hawthorn were extremely impressive and made Sydney look very ordinary rather than Sydney just not turning up. Their midfield thoroughly dismantled Sydney's. It was as an impressive, disciplined and ruthless team performance as ive seen in a long time. The pressure Hawthorn applied anytime Sydney got their hands on the footy was maniacal.
Completely agree. Sydney weren't necessarily bad, they were just made to look bad. Hawthorn had a dream performance, and did their homework. Sydney still would have carved up most other top 8 teams today. However Hawthorn were just on another level today, Sydney just had the bad luck of being the opponent and not having any answers.

Well said mate, I've been trying to explain this all week to people at work and they just laughed and wrote us off lol

This was a case of one team being at their very best and the other being at their very worst. Even early I could just sense we weren't on at all. Looked reminiscent of Geelong when we pumped them by 110 earlier in the year, something was awfully wrong.

History actually indicates that the team with the easier prelim often beats the team that had a hard prelim.

My sample size is the last 3 years though so I'm actually right. ;)

In fairness I did say it can be detrimental as opposed to "usually is", wouldn't mind seeing stats going back say 20 years though. Happy to have my misconception shattered.

Yes but I thought they would have a crack

its a GF ffs and they stood around with half hearted and flimsy efforts. That Jetta "effort" on McEvoy summed up Sydney's desperation.

Dismal performance. No dressing it up

Oh yes, I agree. I also thought the Swans would play better than they did. I just couldn't understand all the pre-match rubbish about how superior the Swans were to Hawthorn.

Very NTTAWWT effort from Sydney. Hawthorn's Mids killed Jack, Parker etc. Cut the supply off to the 'bondi' forward line and that was the end of the game. goodes will announce his retirement next week alon with a couple of others. Time for a rebuild up north I think with a couple of lean years coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back