Sydney's sponsorship arrangement with suspected Chinese intelligence agent denied citizenship by ASIO

Remove this Banner Ad

The Sydney Swans have an ongoing sponsorship with the Yuhu Group and its chair, one Xiangmo Huang.

Yuhu Group Australia chairman Xiangmo Huang said as someone with a keen interest in sport he was delighted to enter a partnership with a club as well-known and successful as the Sydney Swans.

“They have a great brand nationally and as a company that is committed to building better communities, Yuhu Group is also extremely supportive of what the Swans are doing at the grass-root level to give young people the opportunity to enjoy playing football,” he said.

http://www.yuhugroup.com.au/media_release/yuhu-group-proud-to-support-sydney-swans-and-norths/

Given Xiangmo Huang has been denied Australian citizenship by our intelligence agencies, and the major political parties have frozen or are considering giving back donations made by this man and his companies, how can the Swans continue to justify this sponsorship?

And the arrangement started in April 2018, well after the first serious concerns were raised, about Huang and his links/role with the Chinese Communist Party and their intelligence operations.

The Swans' Chinese Engagement Hub - hmmmm - wonder who is paying for that and what goes on there?

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/community/participation/chinese-engagement-hub

Surely the Swans need to cut this bloke and his money loose?

always knew 2016 was a win for the good, true blue Aussie good guys.

Money is worth the same no matter who pays I guess

It is shonky as hell. They signed it in April 2018! Did they do no research???

Nick McKenzie did a Four Corner special on this stuff, complete with lots of coverage on Xiangmo, in June 2017.

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/power-and-influence-promo/8579844

That said, I'm keen to find out how Paul Roos and Gerard Healy will blame Lindsay Thomas for this though.

Phurt. Other multinationals fund teams. Personally I have less problem taking Chinese dosh than taking money or in kind support from Murdoch, the Pratts or Smorgons or some middle eastern caliphate.

That said, I'm keen to found out how Paul Roos and Gerard Healy will blame Lindsay Thomas for this

We all know Lindsay is 100% responsible for Global Warming and Donald Trump.

You really think sponsoring the Swans will make a difference to anything? That's nonsense in my view.

In itself it won't change anything, it is about a process, about creating relationships, about normalisation.

Why don't you attack it another way.

Why exactly are they sponsoring Sydney? What do they hope to get out of it?

The Sydney Swans have an ongoing sponsorship with the Yuhu Group and its chair, one Xiangmo Huang.

http://www.yuhugroup.com.au/media_release/yuhu-group-proud-to-support-sydney-swans-and-norths/

Given Xiangmo Huang has been denied Australian citizenship by our intelligence agencies, and the major political parties have frozen or are considering giving back donations made by this man and his companies, how can the Swans continue to justify this sponsorship?

And the arrangement started in April 2018, well after the first serious concerns were raised, about Huang and his links/role with the Chinese Communist Party and their intelligence operations.

The Swans' Chinese Engagement Hub - hmmmm - wonder who is paying for that and what goes on there?

Sport and Politics don't mix.

The question at hand though, is sponsorship by an intelligence agent getting involved with politics? I don't think so but happy to hear others thoughts.

Political parties SHOULD NOT hand the money back, rather they should donate it to charity or to Australia's general revenue.

I didn't mention Blakey. I realise you have a guilty conscience about how yet again the AFL has bent the rules to benefit their lovechild, and so you should, but that kind of thing is par for the course. Blakey is a Sydney player because the Swans are coached by North players. So be it.

Tarryn Thomas who we got through our own academy rort is rated the better player on the open market (pick 8 v 10).

I don't have an issue with Sydney or any club being sponsored by CHINESE companies, I have an issue - me and the AUSTRALIAN INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES - with Yuhu and Xiangmo. Get sponsorship off Weibo or Tencent or Alibaba.

For what it is worth your assert is entirely incorrect re China's political stance at home and abroad (it is at war with its own people in Xinjiang, it backs plenty of regimes of highly dubious natures across South America and Africa and frankly your "practical infrastructure development in the South Pacific comment makes me wonder if Chief did an IP track, exactly which computer in the Yuhu building you'd be using.

T\here's lots to be critical and to like about China. It isn't "evil".

But Sydney is taking money off a person the Australian government does not think a fit person to be a citizen, and believes is operating an influence operation in this country on behalf of Chinese intelligence.

Sam Dastayari lost his career over his links with this bloke.

Dastayari was a very loose character open to all kinds of inducements

He should of faced jail time along with every other dodgy politician on the take

I'm not criticising them for taking Chinese money.

I'm criticising them for taking money from XIANGMO HUANG and Yuhu.

And yes, the AFL need to have a very big think about this, as do Port. Albeit, they aren't taking money directly off a person considered so risky to national security he won't even be let in the country again.

Dude, seriously, you're sounding very much like you're trying to defend or muddy the waters here.

Why's that?
You got me

The frustrating bit is converting yuan into Aussie dollars.

Yep, this is something Sam Dastayari found out to his cost.

It amazes me that Slammin' Sam taking money from this bloke can lead to him losing a promising career, but a footy club taking his cash, all OK by Isacc Cumming No 1 Member of The Australian People's Republic of China Infiltration Aplogist Front.

there is a big difference.

one is a football club and football clubs accept support from all kinds of places that people may or may not like........petroleum companies, banks etc etc. football clubs don't make decisions re laws, national policy and aren't political so its fine.

politicians and political parties have different roles, responsibilities and conflict of interest management systems.

when the syney swans start making decisions on behalf of the national interest, then they should not accept funds from these groups.

there is a big difference.

one is a football club and football clubs accept support from all kinds of places that people may or may not like........petroleum companies, banks etc etc. football clubs don't make decisions re laws, national policy and aren't political so its fine.

politicians and political parties have different roles, responsibilities and conflict of interest management systems.

when the syney swans start making decisions on behalf of the national interest, then they should not accept funds from these groups.

Sydney were pretty vocal - and rightfully so! - during the Goodes booing debacle.

Clubs have been taking political stances for a while, from pokies, to gay stuff.

If they'd signed him up ages ago, yeah, whatevs, but they took his money on Four Corners outed as dodgy.

But now? They have a sponsor who can't even get into the country to see their games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a section of our website, not a physical location. But carry on.

And what goes on there? And who is paying for it?

You know, call me Mr Tinfoil, but maybe the Chinese bloke and company who sponsor you are in it somehow?

And what goes on there? And who is paying for it?

It provides the latest club news, ticketing information and a link to our club app in Chinese to our members who speak Chinese. As its on the club website, the club pays for it.

You know, call me Mr Tinfoil, but maybe the Chinese bloke and company who sponsor you are in it somehow?

Very tinfoil as the club has that page for long than this sponsorship and his company isn't even plastered over the page. Your putting 2 and 2 together and getting 19

Tony Mokbel still on Norths books? He'll be attending games later this year.

In itself it won't change anything, it is about a process, about creating relationships, about normalisation.

Why don't you attack it another way.

Why exactly are they sponsoring Sydney? What do they hope to get out of it?
Obviously its to bring on the downfall of democracy, and undermine Western Civilisation, and its outrageous that the Swans were not on top of this from the start. AFL clubs in general are not putting enough effort into counter espionage in my opinion.

It provides the latest club news, ticketing information and a link to our club app in Chinese to our members who speak Chinese. As its on the club website, the club pays for it.

Very tinfoil as the club has that page for long than this sponsorship and his company isn't even plastered over the page. Your putting 2 and 2 together and getting 19

Fair enough, cheers for the explanation.

Still doesn't change the fact that Sydney is taking money off a national security threat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back