Synthesizer and Music Electronics

Remove this Banner Ad

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Retirement is a wonderful thing for an aging geek especially if you have a friend who can do SMD soldering successfully. I recently challenged my friend to build a pair of these Armachat Lora communicators, and he did! With access to these skills ('look out Honey, I'm using technology...') I thought I would investigate what DIY Synth projects looked appealing. While hunting around I found a number of links to interesting sites that may be useful. I found a number of Pi Pico projects based on Jan Knipper's Polykit Pico DCO, a very impressive polyhphonic synth. One of these is a mono synth, using the Saeed RP240 pico clone.

I thought this would be a little easier. I managed to find some of the 6 voice Pi DCO made on strip board.
Raspberry Pi Pico DCO

And a whole thread of verified strip board layouts that folks might be interested in. Much easier if someone's done all the hard work.
Verified Stripboard Layouts! - DIY STUFF - Look Mum No Computer Thingies

Last but not least I found this rather weird single digital chip which mimics an analog synth. One guy has put it in a plug, making the worlds smallest synth.
Synthetic Sound Labs dspG1 Midi Synth Chip (synthcube.com)
It's a bit weird, because it has 5 voices, each with 3 DCO. BUT it's only got a single Filter and envelope. Rather than polyphonic, it's called paraphonic. Still would work as a true mono synth. You need a midi controller with lot's of kbobs to control it. I'll keep an eye on it. It was originally released in 2014 with a limited run but has had another production run earlier this year. Here are a few more useful links:

Simple DIY Electronic Music Projects

There are a few more links I will post when I have sorted them out, but I would ask other BF members to post their links the DIY music circuits here.
If you have an SMD kit you can't put together I'm sure my friend would be happy to hep for a sliver of silver, contact me if that is the case.

I love soldering, it's more a summer hobby for me though because it is cold in my garage and less light during the day :)

I have modified some SMD stuff but I don't build SMD stuff. I make guitar pedals and eurorack modules and I refurbish, modify and circuit bend old music and video synthesizers and effects units.

Last week I added a MIDI module to a Korg Volca Modular and finished repairing a Yamaha DX synth I got for $40 on ebay. After I fixed it, I bent it so it makes kind of weird and random sounds.

I think if you want to learn soldering Guitar FX Layouts is a good place, some of the pedals are really fun too. There's some really simple circuits there to get started and the components are only a few dollars. I really like painting the cases for the pedals too.

I am not sure what I am going to build or fix next- I have an old Yamaha drum machine I want to finish modifying, and some Alesis drum machines I need to repair/destroy. I have a vintage Roland SH101 I want to mod and a kit for a Throbbing Gristle synth ready to go Gristleizer — MusicPCB, there's heaps of half-finished things in my garage waiting for me though.

I love soldering, it's more a summer hobby for me though because it is cold in my garage and less light during the day :)

I have modified some SMD stuff but I don't build SMD stuff. I make guitar pedals and eurorack modules and I refurbish, modify and circuit bend old music and video synthesizers and effects units.

Last week I added a MIDI module to a Korg Volca Modular and finished repairing a Yamaha DX synth I got for $40 on ebay. After I fixed it, I bent it so it makes kind of weird and random sounds.

I think if you want to learn soldering Guitar FX Layouts is a good place, some of the pedals are really fun too. There's some really simple circuits there to get started and the components are only a few dollars. I really like painting the cases for the pedals too.

I am not sure what I am going to build or fix next- I have an old Yamaha drum machine I want to finish modifying, and some Alesis drum machines I need to repair/destroy. I have a vintage Roland SH101 I want to mod and a kit for a Throbbing Gristle synth ready to go Gristleizer — MusicPCB, there's heaps of half-finished things in my garage waiting for me though.
Which DX? What did you have to do to fi it?
I have a PCB somewhere for the Gristleiser, you can have it if you want it. I'd like to see it built.

I had an original DX7 decades ago, one modded by Robin Whittle, sadly it got nicked. I was very fond of that synth. Total pig to program but overtime I got the hang of it and even sold a few sounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back