Remove this Banner Ad

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Thought this comment was a little unfair, or at least ill-timed. Can see where Stewart is coming from, but it's almost as though he's over-compensating for the Australian media's general reluctance to find fault with this country's sporting heroes.

rhinowce

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2008
wagga wagga
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South freo
What a s**t article who is this guy this bit made me lol

So You Think's brave third in last year's Melbourne Cup disguised what should have been a gnawing doubt. Could he really run a strong 2400m in the Arc?

Didnt he run the last 1000m in 57sec or something.:eek:

Mar 23, 2007
The Rose Garden
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm/Blazers/Liverpool/Athletic
Thought this comment was a little unfair, or at least ill-timed. Can see where Stewart is coming from, but it's almost as though he's over-compensating for the Australian media's general reluctance to find fault with this country's sporting heroes.

The bloke obviously has issues and has been waiting for the horse to show a glimpse of mediocrity so he could go on his rant. He comes across as a person who's been under a rock and all of a sudden has an uneducated and bias opinion on things.

There are plenty of things in that article that are misinformed, i'm not sure where to start though this definitely caught my eye...

Instead of flashing off at a hot pace, he ground away like a horse who - God forbid - lacked the class at 2400m to win.

That is seriously laughable and the bloke loses all credibility (if he had any in the first place) with this comment.

He needs to take a look at the sectionals. SYT was badly positioned, whether it was possible to get in a better position that's up for debate but he was given no hope by a combination of the barrier draw and, again, for mine poor tactics/riding.

This whole European experience has been a farce as i said before. SYT has been handicapped consistently, for him still to produce results (he still came 4th in one of the biggest races in the world) shows the quality of the horse. What might have been if Dato wasn't after some quick cash that he really didn't need.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
[YOUTUBE]0sCKD1Byc8Y[/YOUTUBE]

Not easy to come back 400m in distance, but otherwise appeared to have every chance.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
I blame Aiden for this horses recent failures, he clearly isn't the same horse in half of his runs that he was over here.

Jas 44

Draftee
Aug 29, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
He is going to be on Lasix for the race.

Just read that, the rationale seems to be that every other horse will be on it so we might as well as pump him up.

Will also be wearing blinkers - the only reason I can think of is to help it adjust to the dirt kickback (last wore blinkers in 09 cox plate)

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He is going to be on Lasix for the race.

Interesting that a movement has begun to eradicate Lasix from US racing. The Breeders' Cup is banning it in 2yo races next year, and in all events from 2013. No 2yo race anywhere in the US will be granted black type status in 2012 unless it prohibits the use of Lasix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris3Judd

Debutant
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I would not be surprised if this is SYT swan song before Stud Farm.
Very good chance against a relatively weaker BC field.
Would have been great to see him line against Zenyatta the last two years.
Here's hoping he does a Black Caviar on the field and pulls away in the straight and wins by 4 or 5 lengths.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i hope it doesn't go to stud anytime soon

the horse was/is a star and has so much still to offer

be great if they got it back to aus for one last time!

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
This is clearly a case of a horse not responding to a different training method, should have left it with Bart and its stud value would be 4x greater right now.

The_Doctor

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It ran 3rd in the Cup and is bred to stay 2 miles. This is not a case of the Weekend Hussler's - He then won his first 2 starts in the UK by like 15 lengths. Pace makers in the UK really hurt him i feel and the fact most of the time they were his stable mates is very annoying. I really wish Europe would not allow pace makers its quite a joke

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
the dirt looks quite firm
how does it rate compared to a turf surface

btw its never nice seeing syt lose, all that potential!

Blessed

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2011
House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Aiden O'Brien has destroyed STY. Basically now only a glorified Cart Horse.

could have been a 4 or 5 time Cox Plate winner.

would have beaten Pinker, Pinker by 4 lengths with Bart's management.

The_Doctor

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Aiden O'Brien has destroyed STY. Basically now only a glorified Cart Horse.

could have been a 4 or 5 time Cox Plate winner.

would have beaten Pinker, Pinker by 4 lengths with Bart's management.

I think O'Brien has set him back too but he is still one of the better middle distance horses in the world. A poor ride in the BC cost him any chance of winning, if he got him to the outside before the straight who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back