T20 World Cup Day 22 6/11. South Africa v Netherlands 1030hrs, Pakistan v Bangladesh 1430hrs @ Adelaide Oval, Zimbabwe v India @ the MCG 1830hrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question, what kind of crowd would Aussies get in a dead rubber against Zimbabwe at this stage of the World Cup at the MCG?

I'm guessing about 32k?
There was some talk on the Sen radio coverage of this match.That the Aussie camp is not a happy place ,atm.
The fans aren't happy also,and staying away.

There was some talk on the Sen radio coverage of this match.That the Aussie camp is not a happy place ,atm.
The fans aren't happy also,and staying away.

Could help if they pick the right squad and not pick 80% of the team on past performances when they are completely out of form. Fans rightly so were annoyed at the selectors and Cummins’ statements just made things 100 times worse

Could help if they pick the right squad and not pick 80% of the team on past performances when they are completely out of form. Fans rightly so were annoyed at the selectors and Cummins’ statements just made things 100 times worse
They said Luke it goes back to Langer's sacking.Not all the players where happy with that decision.And yes Captain W got a few mentions about a few different issues.

They said Luke it goes back to Langer's sacking.Not all the players where happy with that decision.And yes Captain W got a few mentions about a few different issues.

Think there was always going to be a few that weren’t happy with Langer going albeit his record was hardly brilliant everyone seems to forget he lost two home series to India including the last series when they had the Indian 3rd string attack and Kholi was missing.

I thought we’d struggle the minute the squad was announced to be honest.

Current ICC T20 Rankings. Rankings to be finalised at the end of tournament before 2024 qualifying:

1667734272388.png

So thats: Hosts West Indies, USA

8 teams from 2022 Top 8 teams: Australia, NZ, South Africa, England, Pakistan, India, Netherlands and Sri Lanka who have now all booked their tickets for 2024.

Next 2 teams outside those rankings: Bangladesh, Afghanistan

Think the gap between Zimbabwe and Ireland will be a bridge to much based on rankings.

Africa getting 2 spots with Zimbabwe, Namibia, Uganda, on top of the best 4 African qualifiers . In the final stage, 7 teams battling for 2 World Cup spots for 2024.

More was expected from Zimbabwe at the Super 12 stages. And I dont think they will be a shoe-in to qualify for 2024.

Europe is a bit more complex with 28 teams battling for 3 Regional qualifying spots. Those 3 teams will then compete with: Scotland, Ireland (most likely), Germany, Jersey for 2 World Cup sports. In the final stage, 7 teams battling for 2 spots in the 2024 World Cup.

I even say Ireland and Scotland arent shoe ins.

East Asia Pacific being probably the easier division where one of these teams will make the world Cup : Japan, Vanuatu, Philipines or Papua New Guinea.

Would be very interested in those qualifiers.

Last edited:
people still bullshitting on about langer crap? we had gone 6 years without a single away series win in test we dump a despised coach in langer and bang we win away, now imagine if i was saying the real reason we couldn't win away was langers christian conservative views, pretty ******* stupid right? well thats how you guys sound with your "the team is too woke to win" trash.

Serious question, what kind of crowd would Aussies get in a dead rubber against Zimbabwe at this stage of the World Cup at the MCG?

I'm guessing about 32k?
ODI World Cup dead rubber I'd say 35k, T20 half that probably

Ill rank the difficult in my opinion of the divisions for 2024 World Cup Qualifying:

Europe> Africa> Asia> South America> East Asia Pacific

Spot allocations of Europe- Africa- Asia- South America- East Asia Pacific: 2,2,2,1,1

There is going to be a strong call to expand the world cup from 20 to 24, if we get the major upsets like we did in this tournament.

I feel that's what adds drama to a world Cup, having these unknown teams upsetting the big dogs.

I think even with 24 teams its a good number, give Europe 3 spots, Africa 3 spots, Asia 3 spots, Americas 1.5 spots, East Asia Pacific 1.5 spots

We may not see Zimbabwe , Namibia, Scotland, Ireland, UAE competing at the next World Cup which would be a bit of a disappointment for me as to what colour they have given this tournament.

We could see the day now where Brazil beat Australia in the cricket, Germany beat India in the cricket. Yep you guys might laugh at it, but its more than a possibility than ever.

Ill rank the difficult in my opinion of the divisions for 2024 World Cup Qualifying:

Europe> Africa> Asia> South America> East Asia Pacific

Spot allocations of Europe- Africa- Asia- South America- East Asia Pacific: 2,2,2,1,1

There is going to be a strong call to expand the world cup from 20 to 24, if we get the major upsets like we did in this tournament.

I feel that's what adds drama to a world Cup, having these unknown teams upsetting the big dogs.
Asia looks pretty tough. Graphics of the different stages in here:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people still bullshitting on about langer crap? we had gone 6 years without a single away series win in test we dump a despised coach in langer and bang we win away, now imagine if i was saying the real reason we couldn't win away was langers christian conservative views, pretty ******* stupid right? well thats how you guys sound with your "the team is too woke to win" trash.
Technically from Feb 2016 (when we beat NZ in NZ) to earlier this year you are correct we didn't won a test series overseas. But since you are referring to the Langar reign it might help to take a look at the facts...

Since the sandpaper gate SA tour in 2018, we have only played 6 overseas tests in total:
  • two tests against Pakistan (a few months after sandpaper gate). One was drawn and the second won by Pakistan
  • one Ashes series drawn two all with England in 2019.
  • zero overseas tests in 2020 and 2021 (Covid)
Longer wasn't perfect as a coach and he did have flaws for sure but he had a good win-loss record by the time he was let go, and it was pretty rare for large amounts of people to question the efforts and attitude of the players during games while he was coach, such as is happening now.

Last edited:
We didnt win overseas and we lost twice at home in 3 years at home yet people here keep acting like team has fallen apart because somebody whose political views they disagree with is test skipper and a bloke the players hated is no longer coach, its just crazy the cummins lead side has had a great start in tests the 20/20 side that struggled is finchs side not cummins the same finch who was a world cup winning skipper a year ago.

Current ICC T20 Rankings. Rankings to be finalised at the end of tournament before 2024 qualifying:

View attachment 1549909

So thats: Hosts West Indies, USA

8 teams from 2022 Top 8 teams: Australia, NZ, South Africa, England, Pakistan, India, Netherlands and Sri Lanka who have now all booked their tickets for 2024.

Next 2 teams outside those rankings: Bangladesh, Afghanistan

Think the gap between Zimbabwe and Ireland will be a bridge to much based on rankings.

Africa getting 2 spots with Zimbabwe, Namibia, Uganda, on top of the best 4 African qualifiers . In the final stage, 7 teams battling for 2 World Cup spots for 2024.

More was expected from Zimbabwe at the Super 12 stages. And I dont think they will be a shoe-in to qualify for 2024.

Europe is a bit more complex with 28 teams battling for 3 Regional qualifying spots. Those 3 teams will then compete with: Scotland, Ireland (most likely), Germany, Jersey for 2 World Cup sports. In the final stage, 7 teams battling for 2 spots in the 2024 World Cup.

I even say Ireland and Scotland arent shoe ins.

East Asia Pacific being probably the easier division where one of these teams will make the world Cup : Japan, Vanuatu, Philipines or Papua New Guinea.

Would be very interested in those qualifiers.

I dont want to forget our South American/North American friends as well

One of these teams will make the 2024 World Cup: Argentina, Bahamas, Belize, Bermuda, Brazil, Cayman Islands, Panama, Suriname and Canada.
The usual suspects will probably qualify but how good would it be if someone random like Japan, Germany or Bahamas qualified?

Longer wasn't perfect as a coach and he did have flaws for sure but he had a good win-loss record by the time he was let go, and it was pretty rare for large amounts of people to question the efforts and attitude of the players during games while he was coach, such as is happening now.

That's completely false, were you around when we lost the Ben Stokes at Headingley? People were absolutely up in arms about the attitude and effort of our players.

I don't dislike Langer however suggesting we would have won if he hung around as Coach is just coping. Our World Cup win last time around was great but if we're honest with ourselves we got pretty lucky, we haven't been the best T20 Team for some time. If you remember around that time we were also losing a ton of bilateral games so it's not as if we were a force to be reckoned with under Langer and it's now its fallen away.

That's completely false, were you around when we lost the Ben Stokes at Headingley? People were absolutely up in arms about the attitude and effort of our players.

I don't dislike Langer however suggesting we would have won if he hung around as Coach is just coping. Our World Cup win last time around was great but if we're honest with ourselves we got pretty lucky, we haven't been the best T20 Team for some time. If you remember around that time we were also losing a ton of bilateral games so it's not as if we were a force to be reckoned with under Langer and it's now its fallen away.
I you re-read to part of my post that you quoted, you will see that I said it was pretty rare for people to be up in arms. I didn't say it didn't happen. And for sure, the day that Ben Stokes dominated at Headingley would have been one of those times. I also agree with you that we really haven't been a great T20 team, which probably makes it even more of an achievement for us to have won last year's T20 world cup.

Last edited:
I you re-read to part of my post that you quoted, you will see that I said it was pretty rare for people to be up in arms. I didn't say it didn't happen. And for sure, the day that Ben Stokes dominated at Headingley would have been one of those times. I also agree with you that we really haven't been a great T20 team, which probably makes it even more of an achievement for us to have won last year's T20 world cup.

It was more his poor performances at home that caused it anyway. You can't be getting flogged to the India C side and expect to not be sacked. Yeah we won that WC, but the toss was a factor in big games in that thing, also I'm not going to keep a coach just because he won a t20 tournament. We won away from home the minute we sacked Langer, so our test form has been very good.

Had a chat with a couple of Zimbabwe fans at the game last night. There’s a pretty big group of them that have followed the team all around Australia for the WC, starting in Hobart and going to Perth, Sydney, Brisbane and back to Hobart before coming to Melbourne. They are incredible supporters, absolutely love the game and their team. They made themselves heard last night with their gospel hymns and chants as well in amongst the 95% Indian crowd.

Hope for the best for the Zimbabwe cricket team to give these folks more to cheer about.

It was more his poor performances at home that caused it anyway. You can't be getting flogged to the India C side and expect to not be sacked. Yeah we won that WC, but the toss was a factor in big games in that thing, also I'm not going to keep a coach just because he won a t20 tournament. We won away from home the minute we sacked Langer, so our test form has been very good.

Lets be realistic the aussie limited overs sides havent really been that good since the 15 WC win, we sleep walk our way to every big tournament never building a winning culture or consistent team then we just hope we get our s**t together on the big stage and once in a while it works but its certainly not how we build our teams for world cups in better times, people can delude themselves into thinking langer had some grand long term vision that lead to the 2021 20/20 win but a lie is still a lie no matter how loud you shout it.

20/20 cricket is a higher variance game and sometimes average teams can win over a short tournament, the aussie limited overs teams are all average they are now they were a year ago they were 2 years ago.

Paine's captaincy lost that test match......

It was bad but our catching was worse and no one would talk about the captaincy if Lyon does fluff an easy run out, Harris doesn't drop a soda, etc

Pretty much seems like view on bigfooty is anything half decent that happened while langer coach well that was langer wel done to him but the many screw ups in that era yep thats only on the players, langer won the 2021 world cup(ignoring many media reports that his role was almost non existent during that wc as he had been pushed to the margins) not finch and his players but finch and his players lost us this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back