T20's v South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
14 man squad which seems a meaningless T20 series, with 7 players 'rested' - warner, green, wade, agar, cummins, starc, hazlewood.

warner will have to wait a little longer to become the first aussie to play 100 games in each format (99 T20's).

4 players with test experience only and marsh is captain for now.

smith
inglis
short
head
maxwell
david
stoinis
marsh (c)
hardie
abbott
behrendorf
ellis
johnson
zampa

Really don't see the need for smudge in the T20s...ODI yes and test

T20 Its for the big hitters...yes I know he smashed a couple of fantastic hundreds for the Sixers last year but really his t20 career is pretty underwhelming ..60 odd games for only 4 50s ...and he Bailey says he is going to open...thats basically the only position he could bat

and if he scores runs all well and good but reckon it will cause more headaches with the opening pair...we have Head Warner Marsh Green Stoinis Inglis Wade if he plays all can do the job

Would hate to see both Warner/Smith both open come the West Indies next year

T20 Its for the big hitters...yes I know he smashed a couple of fantastic hundreds for the Sixers last year but really his t20 career is pretty underwhelming ..60 odd games for only 4 50s ...and he Bailey says he is going to open...thats basically the only position he could bat

and if he scores runs all well and good but reckon it will cause more headaches with the opening pair...we have Head Warner Marsh Green Stoinis Inglis Wade if he plays all can do the job

These are just short warm up games for the ODI world cup anyway. Smith can practice his power play and final 10 over batting.

Smith showed he was far and away above the standard of the BBL and our domestic players. He should absolutely be given the opportunity to open for Australia in T20s to see if he can do it at that level with his new-found approach.

Yep, swings at everything in tests and can only manage a run a ball. Don't think he's a terrible pick for the ODIs. Like I said, this is all warm up for the ODIs. We don't care if the players are suited to T20.

No issue in the ODI’s but he’s terrible in t20. Been a problem for too long forcing players to be across all 3 forms

For better or worse Australian cricket values test and ODIs above T20. It makes sense with the bigger Australian grounds our developing players can't practice big shots without getting caught on the boundary.

There has to be time and space for all 3. I do like the Marsh being captain of the t20 side, should be the ODI captain too. Give Cummins a break if we must have him as test captain

I’m happy to see Johnson in the squad, I think he could still offer us something in the longer formats in the future as well.

I thought it was telling that when Jhye Richardson went down last year that our backup bowling stocks looked a little thin. So much so that the selectors ended up gifting the spot, and using it as an education spot for a young prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m happy to see Johnson in the squad, I think he could still offer us something in the longer formats in the future as well.

I thought it was telling that when Jhye Richardson went down last year that our backup bowling stocks looked a little thin. So much so that the selectors ended up gifting the spot, and using it as an education spot for a young prospect.
Spencer Johnson has to be in the first XI for the first game against South Africa you would imagine after his spell the other day in the Hundred?

Spencer Johnson has to be in the first XI for the first game against South Africa you would imagine after his spell the other day in the Hundred?
I think you’re right, Johnson is really starting to perform.
I’m a WA guy but not a WA psychopath, Johnson should be miles ahead of Morris for all formats now
Good age, now injury free, it seems. A good chance to get a bowler into the system rather than gifting it.

Australia T20 squad changes

OUT: Steve Smith

IN: Ashton Turner

Australia ODI squad changes

OUT: Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc

IN: Marnus Labuschagne, Spencer Johnson

It was also confirmed Michael Di Venuto will coach the T20 side along with Clint McKay and Australian women’s assistant coach Dan Marsh.
My girls are screaming that Turner is back in the squad.
This blokes passion, and what he’s doing for cricket is out of this world.
Do cricket lovers really need to call international players spuds to push their own inadequacies?

It was also confirmed Michael Di Venuto will coach the T20 side along with Clint McKay and Australian women’s assistant coach Dan Marsh.

does that now mean smith doesn't venture back south africa again after sandpapergate?

2021 test series cancelled (covid)
2023 white ball series - injured
late 2026 test series ? probably done by then

no Maxwell. wouldn't it have made more sense to play Turner instead, rather than Wade?
Unless they're going to play all the T20s at Perth Stadium then there's not a lot of point playing Turner.

While watching the BBL this year I started noticing that Turner was very very good at manipulating the dimensions of Perth Stadium (short boundaries straight and to fine leg). So I started looking in to his scores this season at Perth compared to everywhere else.

At Perth Stadium this season he averaged 65 with a strike rate of 165. Everywhere else he averaged 14 with a strike rate of 115.

I thought that maybe was just variance so I then looked at his career. At Perth Stadium for his career he averages 37 at a strike rate of 147. Everywhere else he averages 20 at a strike rate of 137.

You add that to his T20I record (18 matches, avg 12, sr 84) and I think it starts to paint a picture as to why he may not be a successful batter at international level.

I'm not adverse to him playing for the national team again but I think it would be unwise to think he'd replicate what he does for the Scorchers at international level.

Side has been named for tonight:

Matt Short, Travis Head, Mitch Marsh (c), Josh Inglis (wk), Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Aaron Hardie, Sean Abbott, Nathan Ellis, Adam Zampa, Spencer Johnson

Hardie might bowl two overs and he's listed at 7. Please elevate him up the order as that's where he does his damage at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back