AFL TAB Refuse to Pay out $150k pay-out to Maths Wiz Uni Student who out-smarted their system

mookieb

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let's end this discussion once and for all.

Do bookmakers have to offer you a service?
No they don't.

Should bookmakers be allowed to have discretion when choosing who to offer a service to?
Well, that's debatable. I wish the answer was no, but unfortunately it's probably "yes".
You're point is obviously correct but it's a murky area because when you join there is nowhere that states that "hey if you win we will ban you and if you lose then you'll be our best friend". I don't think that the average punter would have the knowledge that bookmakers would ban you for winning - especially since some of them run with slogans like "take us on".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

X_box_X

King of September
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea
You're point is obviously correct but it's a murky area because when you join there is nowhere that states that "hey if you win we will ban you and if you lose then you'll be our best friend". I don't think that the average punter would have the knowledge that bookmakers would ban you for winning - especially since some of them run with slogans like "take us on".
They are hidden in their terms and conditions that a bookmaker may refuse to offer you a service, or words to that effect.

These days the average punter would be aware that books limit you, but five years ago, definitely not.

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
The $4,608 they gave him is the Dusty $4 multiplied by the Dusty-Slater combo $32 multiplied by the stake.

The kid knew exactly what he was doing and if I was him I'd be taking the $4,608 and not going after something that really isn't his.
$4K, easy come, easy go. $150k is potentially life changing, might as well have a crack.

Abba Lonie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC, BHN, OKC
Naive of anyone to think the bookies aren't trying to fleece them.

You have to take the good with the bad, there's sufficient competition around that if someone thinks they aren't being dealt with fairly they can just take their business elsewhere.

Top Bottom