Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Hi All,

I am a bit of a pleb with hardware and not sure exactly what I need. Basically I need a smallish device that can lay flat with screen up (ie not a laptop) to use for work when I am travelling and also in meetings. It needs to have high functionality with excel in particurlar because a lot of the reports I use are heavy with formulas, macros and also linked into BI, none of which work well with excel versions available for android/apple. I do want to have a detachable/bluetooth keyboard too.

I don't want to spend much, I will purely be using it for work so below are a couple of the options I am looking at but would love some recommendations, particurlarly if there's a cheaper tablet alternative that ticks the box.

Acer Switch 3 - $748
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...3-sw312-31-p2ka-12-touchscreen-laptop/547169/

Microsoft Surface 3 - $549
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/microsoft-surface-3-32gb-2gb-ram/

Microsoft Surface Pro 2017 - $1,000
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/microsoft-surface-pro-2017-128gb-m3-4gb-ram-microsoft/

Thanks for your help

Ok so after doing a lot of research online from a base of very limited knowledge the options I have narrowed it down to are highlighted in yellow.

I have seen the Acer Switch in store and didn't love it, it was really heavy/clunky but the specs are good and price is right. Really hoping the HP is ok when I pop into Officeworks tomorrow, the price is right, specs are good enough except for the tight ass 64GB storage, but I can use an external hard drive. Reviews are ok on it without being too complimentary. Ultimately I'd love the Samsung Galaxy Book, it's perfect for everything I want but it's just too expensive and it's only being sold on the Samsung website right now?

If anyone is considering a Kogan Atlas, don't. The price is bloody cheap but every review I found was horrific.

Laptops.PNG

A decent multi-core CPU is essential for heavy Excel usage, as well as a decent amount of RAM. It will be difficult to find a powerful tablet solution that doesn't break the bank with those specs, so be prepared to spend a bit. I'd be looking at a 2-in-1 with an i3 or i5 CPU, 8GB of RAM with SSD storage.

Dell and HP have 2-in-1 options which can be laid flat, but would not have support for a detachable keyboard.

Thanks. Will have a look into them. If the size of the screen isnt too big I can overcome the non removable keyboard

From what you've posted so far I'd go the Surface Pro 4, I'm not a huge fan of them but it's a decent spec and much better than the Pentium/Celeron/Atom rubbish in the others. You'll also benefit from the extra screen real estate from the higher resolution.

You may also be able to track down a decent deal through somewhere like the Dell Outlet, there are some refurbished Latitude 2-in-1's for a bit over $1k. If you'd been looking over the last few weeks you probably could have picked up a decent deal with the EOFY sales.

A decent multi-core CPU is essential for heavy Excel usage, as well as a decent amount of RAM. It will be difficult to find a powerful tablet solution that doesn't break the bank with those specs, so be prepared to spend a bit. I'd be looking at a 2-in-1 with an i3 or i5 CPU, 8GB of RAM with SSD storage.

Dell and HP have 2-in-1 options which can be laid flat, but would not have support for a detachable keyboard.

No amount of RAM/cores can help Excel, it's just a s**t bit of software that struggles with lots of data.

You could always use a compact bluetooth keyboard as a "detachable" keyboard for a 2-in-1

The HP and Dell 2-in-1s are flip so the keyboard can be folded right out of the way for tablet use. I've been looking for something similar myself lately for programming on so I don't have to use my desktop and so I don't have to plug in an external device or use an emulator for developing Windows apps. Can't find anything I really like for the price though. All the budget friendly ones are only 4GB of RAM and in 2018 I don't understand how that could be enough for any sort of basic workflow. I can't find anything to commit to just yet though because I'm struggling to justify the price of any 2-in-1. Dell had 40% off heaps of stuff on their store just recently and I really should have pulled the trigger. Oh well :shrug:

So far though I don't mind the look of the Dell Inspiron 13 5000. Usually $1298.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...nspiron-13-5000-13-3-2-in-1-laptop-i5/497038/

The HP and Dell 2-in-1s are flip so the keyboard can be folded right out of the way for tablet use. I've been looking for something similar myself lately for programming on so I don't have to use my desktop and so I don't have to plug in an external device or use an emulator for developing Windows apps. Can't find anything I really like for the price though. All the budget friendly ones are only 4GB of RAM and in 2018 I don't understand how that could be enough for any sort of basic workflow. I can't find anything to commit to just yet though because I'm struggling to justify the price of any 2-in-1. Dell had 40% off heaps of stuff on their store just recently and I really should have pulled the trigger. Oh well :shrug:

So far though I don't mind the look of the Dell Inspiron 13 5000. Usually $1298.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...nspiron-13-5000-13-3-2-in-1-laptop-i5/497038/

These are 20% off (till tomorrow), basically a "business grade" version of that Inspiron, there are some Lenovo Yogas around the same price too. Ebay regularly has decent discounts that can get you a good deal.

These are 20% off (till tomorrow), basically a "business grade" version of that Inspiron, there are some Lenovo Yogas around the same price too. Ebay regularly has decent discounts that can get you a good deal.

How do the business grade ones differ from the regular ones? For that price range I've seen the HP x360 stuff start to introduce i7s and 16gb RAM. Some even with dedicated graphics (even though integrated would be fine for my purpose). I'm used to desktop part prices and I don't know why laptop, including 2-in-1 stuff, prices are so varied with very similar specs.

I actually had a look at some Lenovo Yogas when I was passing Harvey Norman this weekend and they're another option. I don't need much. Just an i5, 8gb RAM and an SSD or any size (preferably 256gb, but 128gb will be fine if it's a bargain, I can always use an external). It's just to run Visual Studio and maybe a local SQL server for testing other stuff.

How do the business grade ones differ from the regular ones? For that price range I've seen the HP x360 stuff start to introduce i7s and 16gb RAM. Some even with dedicated graphics (even though integrated would be fine for my purpose). I'm used to desktop part prices and I don't know why laptop, including 2-in-1 stuff, prices are so varied with very similar specs.

I actually had a look at some Lenovo Yogas when I was passing Harvey Norman this weekend and they're another option. I don't need much. Just an i5, 8gb RAM and an SSD or any size (preferably 256gb, but 128gb will be fine if it's a bargain, I can always use an external). It's just to run Visual Studio and maybe a local SQL server for testing other stuff.

It depends on the model, but from memory Latitude models are meant to have better durability (ie. less shiny s**t that wears off), build quality, and warranty and support. They generally have more "corporate" components like TPM chips as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty stiff how most of the brands won't include the stylus. Seems like extortion, get it as an extra at purchase for a discount otherwise pay through the teeth if you decide you want it later!
Update.

I ended up pre-ordering the higher spec Microsoft Go launching in August. $839 for 8gb ram, 128gb SSD and 10 inch screen. Another $300 more once I add pen and keyboard but it's exactly what I want

Feel free to post a little review after you get it and have some hands on. I do like the look and feel of the Microsoft stuff but the price point sort of keeps me at length.

Not to make this about me but got an email from HP sales today and asked instead of a refund would I like the 2018 version of that 2-in-1 for the same price as the one I tried to buy was discontinued, hence the price, and they didn't mean to oversell. Of course, just a lazy $550 discount lol.

Pretty stiff how most of the brands won't include the stylus. Seems like extortion, get it as an extra at purchase for a discount otherwise pay through the teeth if you decide you want it later!

Feel free to post a little review after you get it and have some hands on. I do like the look and feel of the Microsoft stuff but the price point sort of keeps me at length.

Not to make this about me but got an email from HP sales today and asked instead of a refund would I like the 2018 version of that 2-in-1 for the same price as the one I tried to buy was discontinued, hence the price, and they didn't mean to oversell. Of course, just a lazy $550 discount lol.

Lol absolute gold! Well done.

RE: Review will do, I know I have overpaid by getting microsoft but I was really funny about what I wanted. I already have a Lenovo laptop for work so really wanted that small detachable with strong office compatabilty (I travel interstate/regionaly minimum once a month for work)

Styluses on these things are mostly a waste of time, unless you have a specific use for one (or really fat fingers) I doubt you'd use it all that much. $150-$200 for a shitty slim keyboard and touchpad, now THAT'S extortion.

That Microsoft Go is an odd device, I like the idea of it but I don't understand the price point.

Good to see HP are sorting you out on that 2-in-1, I've had HP oversell on me before (during the great Microserver sale of 2011) and the bastards just cancelled it on me. What made it more frustrating was that I ordered one, told some workmates who did an order of 4 a couple of days later, and they got theirs :/

Styluses on these things are mostly a waste of time, unless you have a specific use for one (or really fat fingers) I doubt you'd use it all that much. $150-$200 for a shitty slim keyboard and touchpad, now THAT'S extortion.

That Microsoft Go is an odd device, I like the idea of it but I don't understand the price point.

Good to see HP are sorting you out on that 2-in-1, I've had HP oversell on me before (during the great Microserver sale of 2011) and the bastards just cancelled it on me. What made it more frustrating was that I ordered one, told some workmates who did an order of 4 a couple of days later, and they got theirs :/

I have no use for stylus’ personally, I just don’t like the practice of how they don’t include things like that then try to extort the customer

Not sure what’s going on with the x360 now. Mobile site says cancelled again, desktop site says processing :shrug:

update: payment cleared, now marked as waiting for stock. Awesome. Finally a handy little dev machine so I can stop loading crap onto my desktop.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back