Taboo art work

Remove this Banner Ad

I just put on Studio 10 (the lesser of the 3 evil morning shows imo)- anyway, they just had a quite heated discussion re. a piece of "art work" on the side of a hill- depicting a very red vagina.

The women all are arcing up, saying how its about time- theres plenty of utensils out there masquerading as art, so why cant there be vag? But the male (the Irish dude) completely disagrees with them.

Now, im no prude (i think we can all agree on that)- but I am actually on the side of Irish there. Put it in an art gallery- but a big massive red vagina on the side of a hill??? Looks weird af anyway if you ask me and doesnt suit the natural environment. (even tho a vagina IS by definition- a natural thing as well)

I just put on Studio 10 (the lesser of the 3 evil morning shows imo)- anyway, they just had a quite heated discussion re. a piece of "art work" on the side of a hill- depicting a very red vagina.

The women all are arcing up, saying how its about time- theres plenty of utensils out there masquerading as art, so why cant there be vag? But the male (the Irish dude) completely disagrees with them.

Now, im no prude (i think we can all agree on that)- but I am actually on the side of Irish there. Put it in an art gallery- but a big massive red vagina on the side of a hill??? Looks weird af anyway if you ask me and doesnt suit the natural environment. (even tho a vagina IS by definition- a natural thing as well)

Art is a kind of weird concept when you think about it.

Like- you go to a gallery, you see tonnes and tonnes of pieces. And then you just leave and cant remember most of them- only the really amazing or whatever, stands out.

So whats the point of it, unless its literally hanging on your wall at home.

Wow

Myra (1995), Marcus Harvey

Marcus Harvey's 1995 portrait of child murderer Myra Hindley caused a stir when it was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Art in London in 1997. The portrait, made up of a child's handprints, created an uncomfortable juxtaposition between Hindley's crimes and the innocence associated with youth.

Protesters threw eggs and ink at it on the first day of the exhibition (aptly titled "Sensation"), and Hindley herself wrote a letter from prison imploring organizers to remove it from the exhibition because it showed "a sole disregard not only for the emotional pain and trauma that would inevitably be experienced by the families of the Moors victim

That is pretty ****ed up. Using children's handprints like that..

My Bed (1998), Tracey Emin

But there is a negative side to notoriety. Tracey Emin's Turner-nominated instillation "My Bed" -- complete with an ashtray full of cigarettes, dirty knickers and used condoms -- sold for more than $4 million at auction, but some still consider her success illegitimate because of the controversy that has surrounded her work, and the celebrity it has inspired.

"(Emin) is not someone who worries about her finances anymore -- and that's really saying something for a contemporary artist ... but people assume she's over-valued in some ways," Kokoli says. "She's somebody who is very much begrudged her success because people in the art world and other artists feel she has had a lot more exposure than she deserves."

:eekv1: :eekv1: :eekv1: :eekv1: :eekv1: :eekv1: :eekv1:

Geeze... that's... cutting it fine idk.

They're about to make a movie on his life, and Im for it, and I will see it. So I suppose i cannot have an issue with that! Family, friends, ppl of Tasmania tho would have an issue I'd imagine. You wouldnt even be able to begin to understand what they all went through that day.

Pretty amazing piece of art imho. Am impressed. Its so ******* creepy.

And yeah its pretty obvious the reasoning behind it. He's so small- he's there- but he's not the biggest element in the picture.

16cb3f2b992505ae7b3dd91da3d7aa277614b36e

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's your opinion on it. If any?

And any other taboo art you can think of- IIRC there was a cross submerged in urine- that was massive at the time.

And some questionable "arty" photos of young children.

That cross in piss was by Andreas Serrano I think, he did two Metallica album covers, one was blood and semen (Load) and the other blood and urine I think (Reload) seems like a fun guy.

Metallica_-_Load_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_Reload_cover.jpg

Unsure if any of this will get censored or deleted, but anyone else been to MONA in Tassie - please note that the follow is the wording taking from the MONA website where you can buy said soaps:

Artist Greg Taylor made some lovely c***s. 152 in total at Mona, created by the artist as an homage to the vag*. Each life-size porcelain sculpture is a personal portrait, and an attempt to restore the c**t to its proper status as ‘the face of God’, says Greg, the place ‘where we all start’.

Later, we asked Greg and his Melbourne studio to create a bespoke line of soaps inspired by the work.

*Ok fine, vulva.

Link to soap...

And if you ever stay at MONA in the available accomodation, they have/had a couple of boxes of it in the bathroom so you could purchase it without members of the general public seeing you admiring said soaps in the gift shop

Unsure if any of this will get censored or deleted, but anyone else been to MONA in Tassie - please note that the follow is the wording taking from the MONA website where you can buy said soaps:

Artist Greg Taylor made some lovely c***s. 152 in total at Mona, created by the artist as an homage to the vag*. Each life-size porcelain sculpture is a personal portrait, and an attempt to restore the c**t to its proper status as ‘the face of God’, says Greg, the place ‘where we all start’.

Later, we asked Greg and his Melbourne studio to create a bespoke line of soaps inspired by the work.

*Ok fine, vulva.

Link to soap...

And if you ever stay at MONA in the available accomodation, they have/had a couple of boxes of it in the bathroom so you could purchase it without members of the general public seeing you admiring said soaps in the gift shop

Eh. It was done in an ep of Sex and the City, yeaaaaars ago.

Not the soap tho. Thats a bit.. different.

That cross in piss was by Andreas Serrano I think, he did two Metallica album covers, one was blood and semen (Load) and the other blood and urine I think (Reload) seems like a fun guy.

Wow... well that would have totally gone over my head, had it not been explained to me.

Chris Ofili won the 1998 Turner Prize with a portrait in elephant poo.

Eh. It was done in an ep of Sex and the City, yeaaaaars ago.

Not the soap tho. Thats a bit.. different.

Question is, how long is ok to stare at a wall of 150 of them before that becomes weird?

Re phallic art- i just dont get the appeal. Like big deal... I prefer my art to be completely out of the box (hehehe) and make you think. Not go "omg look at that penis!!!!!!" Like who gives a s**t.

I went to NGV and ******* loved this:

90ac0bd779ece94d5e6228e0e9f9fe26.jpg

Fg100589.jpg

It was just so good. And its just a ladder and a couple mirrors.

One of Andy Warhol's early pieces is a film loop of the Empire State Building, I was at an exhibition of his at the Tate modern where they were showing this and almost got lynched for proclaiming it boring and asking when the planes crashed into it.

g thats not funny!!!
'
But i get your point. 9/11 was an exciting day. Horrific, horrible, tragic etc etc... but there was an element of "morbid movie like excitement" to it. And i say that with the upmost respect- i 100% wish it didnt happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back