Taboo art work

Remove this Banner Ad

One of Andy Warhol's early pieces is a film loop of the Empire State Building, I was at an exhibition of his at the Tate modern where they were showing this and almost got lynched for proclaiming it boring and asking when the planes crashed into it.

Tate modern in London- they had a film loop of a bowl of fruit decomposing- then would "reform" and decompose, again and again.

Was just so awesome. I stood there watching it for ages.

/* how good would that be but with a human body.

good on "them" for doing something they felt passionate about

Yep.

The actual point of it, is regarding abortion and how it should be legalized. So guess it does get a discussion going... and if it was stuck in an art gallery, probably wouldnt have the same effect. So i can see where they're coming from in that regard..

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I remember reading about a performance artist back in the 70s who created an interactive art piece with a range of objects. It was accompanied by a plaque that invited people to use the objects on her as they desired.

The list of objects was a long one, but I remember they included razorblades and a loaded pistol.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember reading about a performance artist back in the 70s who created an interactive art piece with a range of objects. It was accompanied by a plaque that invited people to use the objects as they desired.

The list of objects was a long one, but I remember they included razorblades and a loaded pistol.

Marina Abramović. It started off sedately but got scary. If I recall there was a waiver absolving visitors of responsibility, but whether it would hold up is another thing.

Marina Abramović. It started off sedately but got scary. If I recall there was a waiver absolving visitors of responsibility, but whether it would hold up is another thing.

Again sry multis...

But that totally reminds me of Das Experiment. Not a work of art, but basically where a mock "prison" was set up. Citizens running it, and citizens as the prisoners- which had to be referred to as numbers.

It quickly descended into chaos and violence, and had to be shut down. The movie portrayal of it did take creative license tho and exaggerated it a tad iirc.

I remember reading about a performance artist back in the 70s who created an interactive art piece with a range of objects. It was accompanied by a plaque that invited people to use the objects as they desired.

I assumed you meant in general- or even upon each other/ppl they knew. Not on her specifically.

Jfc, that is horrendous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I recommend a documentary on her, 'The artist is present'. This has a few stills and stories related to it and other works of hers. It's quite a moving documentary. Includes a side story about her artistic partner, if i have my provocateurs correct, who was known for a piece of work that involved him jerking off under the museum floorboards while gallery visitors walked above him.

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
Marina the Spirit Cooker,here is the recipe.
large.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Any budding artists around these parts?

Im hopeless. Am not artistic in the slightest.

I wish i could produce an art work like the one of Port Arthur on the other page.
My mate does a lot of art, and works in the side doing freelance art for a dungeons and dragons style board game.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Pretty amazing piece of art imho. Am impressed. Its so ******* creepy.

And yeah its pretty obvious the reasoning behind it. He's so small- he's there- but he's not the biggest element in the picture.

16cb3f2b992505ae7b3dd91da3d7aa277614b36e
Not the correct gun either I think.

Not the correct gun either I think.

Cant even see the gun really, except for the handle.

I like how the artist had made him so insignificant in the whole painting.

As for the rest of it- amazing how layered and almost "3-D" like it is. Just brilliant.

Re greatest art pieces of all time:

Perhaps the world's most well-known (and hotly debated) work of art, the “Mona Lisa” is the masterpiece of Leonardo da Vinci. Painted sometime between 1503 and 1519, when da Vinci was living in Florence, it is famous for being so alluringly enigmatic. ... Leonardo's mother?), but none have ever been proven.

I've seen the Mona Lisa. I think its a tad overrated tbh. Idk dont hate it, dont love it.

The Louvre itself is amazing.

My favourites tho overseas was the Tate Modern and the Imperial War Museum, both London. (srsly- the latter- ******* brilliant. And i was going to skip it too)

Back