Taboo art work

Remove this Banner Ad

Christopher Vine

Absolute legend- lovely bloke. Amazing art works, seemed interested to know what I liked (the dark blue and green pieces)- and bought 4 of his greeting cards- 3 of which Im going to frame. He seemed chuffed when i told him i wasnt actually giving them away, i was going to frame them.

Srsly such a nice guy. He gave me an extra card for free too.

I went to all the great art galleries in Europe like the Louvre in the Paris and the Uffizi in Florence, the Mona Lisa and David they left me cold.

No one could compare to the great WA artist, Rolf Harris, he could paint a picture.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5909c5d4-d214-3158-a139-dca3fa296904.jpg

Trust British Paints sure can.

I think Rolf was a bit hard done by in all honesty, WA tore down all his artwork and ripped down statues on the basis of a couple of flimsy allegations #metoo

He was nowhere near as bad as Jimmy Saville which people try to paint him as (pardon the pun) he was a good bloke that did a lot for WA for art and for kids.

I think Rolf was a bit hard done by in all honesty, WA tore down all his artwork and ripped down statues on the basis of a couple of flimsy allegations #metoo

He was nowhere near as bad as Jimmy Saville which people try to paint him as (pardon the pun) he was a good bloke that did a lot for WA for art and for kids.

I think it's possible to admire or enjoy someone's art even if they themselves turn out to be a monster. An example being filmaker Roman Polanski, who many years ago had sexual intercourse with a 13 year old girl while he himself was in his forties. A paedo for sure, but he made some great movies such as Rosemary's Baby and The Ninth Gate.

This painting was done by former artist and human monster Adolf Hitler.

_105329300_hi051871593.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46991969

Can you seperate the monster from the artwork? Of course you can.

Rolf Harris was far from a monster, he groped a few underage teenage girls inappropriately but Rolf was a big star back then, most rock stars did that back then.

Are you telling me The Stones weren't groping or f***ing underage teenage girls back in the 70s or 80s? Bill Wyman married one of them.

That was OK though as they were rock stars, yet Rolf Harris gets hauled over the coals and labelled a dirty pedo just because he was a rock star for kids

Double standards much?

Oh, it definitely went on. Would you do it though? If you were in Rolf's position as an adult star of both sound and paint and there were teen girls you knew were underage, would you go the grope?

I can honestly say that I wouldn't, no matter how into the drink or the drugs I was that particular day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I may still listen to MJ, but I think he is a deadset weirdo and would never defend the guy.

Pretty sh*t of you Plugger imho.
It's a fair point, Harris is a creep but Jimmy Page played in the closing ceremony at the Olympics when as the Beastie Boys pointed out he likes his girlies underage. Bill Whyman married a kid, on the surface there does seem a double standard.

It's a fair point, Harris is a creep but Jimmy Page played in the closing ceremony at the Olympics when as the Beastie Boys pointed out he likes his girlies underage. Bill Whyman married a kid, on the surface there does seem a double standard.

Hey dont talk to me about it.. i tried to post a thread about injustices/inequality in our justice system when it comes to these types of crime. I ended up deleting the thread, and will never post on that board again.

At the end of the day- ANY type of phedophilia is wrong. No matter how "aw he just rubbed her.. aw he just did this. Or "she"- females commit these crimes too.

While Ive never been a victim myself- you have no idea how how the offence can have such a large impact on the victim. Whether it be a "serious" or "not so serious" offence.

Tom Putt does some brilliant landscape photography. Very good speaker on his art and inspirations.

He also runs workshops down on the Peninsula (I said the Peninsula dear).
I have considered going to one, but can’t drive that far at present.

Yep the other artist I posted the link for does a workshop. I think $300 for a 4 hour WS???

Yeah i just cant justify that atm, having no job.

I think it's possible to admire or enjoy someone's art even if they themselves turn out to be a monster. An example being filmaker Roman Polanski, who many years ago had sexual intercourse with a 13 year old girl while he himself was in his forties. A paedo for sure, but he made some great movies such as Rosemary's Baby and The Ninth Gate.
I agree, and I'd go further and say that in the case of collaborative artworks like films it's important to try and continue to enjoy and appreciate them. Polanski might be most heavily identified with his films, but they are also peak artistic achievements of many other people who have done nothing wrong.

Personally I will mostly just try to avoid supporting artworks that I know financially benefit problematic artists. I won't buy a ticket to a Polanski film, but I won't lose sleep over one of Wagner's operas (probably the reverse).

I don't think it's possible to be totally consistent though. I doubt I'd boycott a film just because the key grip beat his wife, and even after Bill Cosby dies I'm not sure I'll go back to enjoying The Cosby Show.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back