Certified Legendary Thread TAB's- Full of "characters" ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. The bloke running away is stealing from the proprietor of the tab, because they have to make up the shortfall if they are unable to cancel the ticket

You think that its the agent/manager that has to pay for it? lol
It's the poor operator that got stuck with it that has to pay for it.

The operator gets stuck with unders. If someone bolts it would depend on the situation. If you left the counter unattended and some bloke did that, then yeah you're probably ****ed as the operator as you are supposed to (in theory) put it in standby mode so people can't get on if you are not there. If as the operator you are standing there and some bloke puts the ticket through, pulls his wallet out and is about to pay when he sees it miss the start and bolts then Tabcorp will wear it as long as the operator has tried to cancel it to create a record on the system and phone it in straight away as soon as the guy bolts.

The operator gets stuck with unders. If someone bolts it would depend on the situation. If you left the counter unattended and some bloke did that, then yeah you're probably stuffed as the operator as you are supposed to (in theory) put it in standby mode so people can't get on if you are not there. If as the operator you are standing there and some bloke puts the ticket through, pulls his wallet out and is about to pay when he sees it miss the start and bolts then Tabcorp will wear it as long as the operator has tried to cancel it to create a record on the system and phone it in straight away as soon as the guy bolts.

Yeah as I hinted at you can generally get it cancelled. I worked in tab's many years ago and this kind of thing happened sometimes, if you're on the phone quick enough you get it done.

Yeah as I hinted at you can generally get it cancelled. I worked in tab's many years ago and this kind of thing happened sometimes, if you're on the phone quick enough you get it done.

Yes there is, or used to be, an 'emergency cancel' hotline. I know this as one day I filled out a ticket for $20 to win but the total ended up coming up to $1020. Lady behind the counter told me not to panic and she got on the phone and cancelled it, well after the race had jumped. Turns out some joker had been using some method of marking the 1000 section on the win/place tickets. It subsequently happened to several others that day and I think they had to throw out all of the tickets and replace them with new ones.

Yes there is, or used to be, an 'emergency cancel' hotline. I know this as one day I filled out a ticket for $20 to win but the total ended up coming up to $1020. Lady behind the counter told me not to panic and she got on the phone and cancelled it, well after the race had jumped. Turns out some joker had been using some method of marking the 1000 section on the win/place tickets. It subsequently happened to several others that day and I think they had to throw out all of the tickets and replace them with new ones.

Yep that's happened in a tab i worked in too. On memory I think the guy did it with a pin.

What about the prick who keeps doubling his bets chasing his losses getting madder and madder and making things uncomfortable for everyone.

Or the annoying habit punter tapping the table or rattling his keys. The pissed bloke trying to be your friend.

The worker in his fluro shirt who has rushed off site in a desperate bid to get on in the 8th, misses out by seconds haha.

I used to go into the local when i was younger and every single time i went in there was the same guy always in there wearing his fluro council gear. I have nfi if he just pisses off from work every day or if those are just his casual going out clothes that he wears..

I used to go into the local when i was younger and every single time i went in there was the same guy always in there wearing his fluro council gear. I have nfi if he just pisses off from work every day or if those are just his casual going out clothes that he wears..

Last time I went back to my home town I noticed a lot of retirees were getting around in hi vis gear. I thought it was strange until I was walking through Kmart or wherever one day and they were selling the hi vis shirts for like $5 and then it clicked. The bloke always in the TAB is probably low on funds for clothing too.

That's harsh, not many industries where the worker has to pay for there mistakes. Would the agent not be covered by some sort of insurance and is it even legal to dock a workers pay like that ?

That's harsh, not many industries where the worker has to pay for there mistakes. Would the agent not be covered by some sort of insurance and is it even legal to dock a workers pay like that ?

Yeah there's no way the chick behind the counter is paying for it out of her $21 an hour pay check. That's ridiculous. The bet would just be cancelled, written off.

Yeah there's no way the chick behind the counter is paying for it out of her $21 an hour pay check. That's ridiculous. The bet would just be cancelled, written off.
You don't get employed if you don't agree with paying for cash unders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't get employed if you don't agree with paying for cash unders.

I call BS. How is an employee ever going to afford a $1000 ticket runaway, how is that their fault? Anyway they press a button before the ticket prints to confirm it just as cash is getting handed over.

All tills have variance, it's just shrinkage. No way an employee pays for that.

I call BS. How is an employee ever going to afford a $1000 ticket runaway, how is that their fault? Anyway they press a button before the ticket prints to confirm it just as cash is getting handed over.

This is what I thought, whenever I have had a large bet and put the ticket through it doesn't actually process until you produce payment and then they confirm payment and then the bet goes through.

This is what I thought, whenever I have had a large bet and put the ticket through it doesn't actually process until you produce payment and then they confirm payment and then the bet goes through.

Yeah it doesn't go through until they punch a button on the keyboard, I've watched them do it a million times. Then the ticket prints and the bet is laid.

Haven't seen that scenario, however have seen operators have to repay cash unders for over paying customers.
It's very easy to balance a TAB till. TAB agency tills don't have the variances that bar tills and dept store tills do.

balmainforever ia telling the truth. As I said earlier I worked for a while in tab's. In the example of the big bet guy running away you ring up and get it cancelled. Not your fault, you won't be left with it. But if it's your mistake and the till is unders you pay

balmainforever ia telling the truth. As I said earlier I worked for a while in tab's. In the example of the big bet guy running away you ring up and get it cancelled. Not your fault, you won't be left with it. But if it's your mistake and the till is unders you pay

Correct.

Not sure if still the case but my wife worked for the tab a while ago and had to pony up the day she went to balance and was $50 short.

Yeah it doesn't go through until they punch a button on the keyboard, I've watched them do it a million times. Then the ticket prints and the bet is laid.

For fixed odds anything over $200 gets caught and has to be processed manually. Paramutual you can set the limit yourself. I used to set it to 1k. If you have a bloke betting a few hundred a race you don't want the terminal ringing every time he places a bet, the whole tab will turn around to see who is betting.

Haven't seen that scenario, however have seen operators have to repay cash unders for over paying customers.
It's very easy to balance a TAB till. TAB agency tills don't have the variances that bar tills and dept store tills do.

Is this the agents reasoning as to why the worker should pay the unders ;)
What is the difference in balancing at a TAB as wouldn't it be the same as a dept store as in the same job of paying and taking although a dept store seems to be a more controlled environment ? Doesn't it all come down to human error.
What happens if the till is overs ? Let me guess, the agent ends up with that as well ;)

Is this the agents reasoning as to why the worker should pay the unders ;)
What is the difference in balancing at a TAB as wouldn't it be the same as a dept store as in the same job of paying and taking although a dept store seems to be a more controlled environment ? Doesn't it all come down to human error.
What happens if the till is overs ? Let me guess, the agent ends up with that as well ;)
Depends upon the quality of the agent. I've seen some who'll let you keep them. Not many though.
Although it's better to keep it aside and tell them later on

Depends upon the quality of the agent. I've seen some who'll let you keep them. Not many though.
Although it's better to keep it aside and tell them later on

I'm only interested as my girlfriend had her friend over for drinks on Melb Cup night and the friend has been working in a tab for a while and was telling us that she has had quite a few days docked of pay (from $10 up to $50) , the problem being that all them days she has been either working with another worker or with the agent. So essentially they have no way of telling who over paid because there is more than 1 person working the tills but she loses out nevertheless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back