Certified Legendary Thread TAB's- Full of "characters" ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a stand alone TAB outlet but our local is a real family pub. Caught some young dickhead sticking 10 cent pieces to the floor in the smokers area. Chuckling to himself as some old punters would trying and pick it up. Gave him a talking to about how these blokes fought for the country, show some respect yada yada.
Came in the next Sat. Same thing happens. My mate goes to his car, comes back and Tarzan grips the campaigners bar stool when he went to place a bet.

Sat behind him watching his ass squirm around launching 10 cent pieces at him.
He got pissed off and asked staff for help. One of the local heavy hitters threw him off the stool and said that’s what good mates are for now buy us a beer.
Hasn’t been back.
Didn’t happen to be Parafield Garden Community Club did it?

Working in the city and “frequenting” multiple tabs during lunch, they are full of these Asian dudes betting on absolutely any live sporting market going around and dumping pretty decent cash on them

Drives me nuts when u wanna quickly get on a nag just before the jump ffs
Yeah during early uni days I occasionally popped in with my mates for a laugh. Saw heaps of that.

One night on one of my first times out as an 18 year old my mate and I had some time to kill and popped into the Shanghai Club in Chinatown. Had some interesting experiences with a few Asians who were throwing multiple 50s on every dog or harness race and threw dirty looks our way when we tried to get a bet on.

Any TAB in the CBD makes for a great people watching experience. The one near Southern Cross Station used to be a favourite of my mates and I for this very reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a while since I frequented pub tabs but remember being intrigued by the punting strategies of some of the locals.

One bloke would back anything that won two starts back, but finished sixth or worse last start. His theory being it would be over the odds because it was a horse in form that everyone jumped off because it failed last start. The fact that it may have just been up in class, or any other reason this was just plain stupid didn’t daunt him...

Another was a late arrival and his entire plan revolved around:
r5 no 9
R6 no 10
R7 no 11
R8 no 8
Win, tris, quaddies the lot. Again couldn’t be talked out of it.

The worst part of all this was when one of these things inevitably got up...”see it TOLD you blokes!!!”...

well there was one behind the counter which apparently you tried to make moves on i heard!
that was me, show some respect you silly old pisshead. fwiw she was flattered but she's seeing someone. I went in again later and she lit up, remembered my name. I'm not saying I'm Lothario, but it's a good name for a shirt-tier, coke-addled Cannington dog.

also fellas, not sure we need to be shortening its name to 'Clocks.' would you call Scott Morrison 'your highness?' it's not a hip happening club where you and your three ugly mates get rejected. every. single. Saturday. even at 9pm. c'mon. show it the lack of respect it deserves, and it'll do the same by you. "sorry we only do schooners. Carlton Cold? that'll be $11.50."

You would have to be a keen punter to step foot inside a TAB while the threat of Corona is around. Many elderly punters will not stop going in even with cold and flu symptoms. The germs on the benches, pens and betting machines are a Corona breeding ground waiting to happen. These joints should be the first shut down by the health department. People can bet at home using there online accounts.

You would have to be a keen punter to step foot inside a TAB while the threat of Corona is around. Many elderly punters will not stop going in even with cold and flu symptoms. The germs on the benches, pens and betting machines are a Corona breeding ground waiting to happen. These joints should be the first shut down by the health department. People can bet at home using there online accounts.
i actually went in to have a bet and saw the form screens and thought.. nup... not touching those. I hated them anyway because they are slow to load but i can only imagine the germs on those

Carn' all it will take is MB2345 and I'll be in there for venue mode!

i actually went in to have a bet and saw the form screens and thought.. nup... not touching those. I hated them anyway because they are slow to load but i can only imagine the germs on those

You're not wrong how slow are those bloody form screens! and half of them don't work so you're just bashing the top left hand corner trying to get to the menu

You're not wrong how slow are those bloody form screens! and half of them don't work so you're just bashing the top left hand corner trying to get to the menu

There is no greater pressure than trying to place a quaddie on a dysfunctioning EBT on Derby Day

Last edited:
Speaking of EBT's there is nothing more annoying than those who park their arse in front of them, pull out the form guide and start doing the from on the quaddie while putting and deleting numbers trying to work out what they want while there is a queue of 5 people behind them. We call it doing the BIG D in honour the Big D once coming in, started doing his quad and saying "stay away from this machine boys i will be doing my quad for the next 5 mins". Needless to say this caused a kerfuffle and he didnt budge while the person behind the counter was too gutless to tell Big D to piss off.

Speaking of EBT's there is nothing more annoying than those who park their arse in front of them, pull out the form guide and start doing the from on the quaddie while putting and deleting numbers trying to work out what they want while there is a queue of 5 people behind them. We call it doing the BIG D in honour the Big D once coming in, started doing his quad and saying "stay away from this machine boys i will be doing my quad for the next 5 mins". Needless to say this caused a kerfuffle and he didnt budge while the person behind the counter was too gutless to tell Big D to piss off.

I can remember when working in some TABs deliberately force restarting EBTs just to annoy said customers.

I was sad to find out that one of the characters from the TAB had passed away. Known as Mr Burns or Burnzy because of his resemblance to Montogomery Burns. He was the ultimate "Jockey Worshipper" and that jockey was Damien Oliver. Burnzy would back Olly in every race and shout out Lift him Damian at about the 200m of every race no matter where the horse was in the run. If it lost he would be incredulous, wondering how Winx had beaten the horse Damian rode. RIP Burnzy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back