mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
Great game.

2012 TAC Cup

Gippsland Power.......3.2.....4.3......8.5......12.9 (81)
Oakleigh Chargers.....3.3.....7.5......9.7......12.10 (82)

GOALS:
Gippsland Power: Membrey 4 Graham 3 Scott 2 Deery Hams Drew
Oakleigh Chargers: Jaksch 2 Billings 2 Walmsley Toohey Kennedy-Harris Cutler Franetic MacRae MacMillan Vearing

BEST:
Gippsland Power: Graham Cashman Hams Membrey Johnstone Heppell
Oakleigh Chargers: Franetic MacRae MacMillan Cutler Collopy Kennedy-Harris

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v5/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=4138&pg=1&a=MR

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Here's my report of the game. (Posted on Richmond board so there are a few Tiger references)

Oakleigh was really strong early, they were just winning the contests and were just that much more classy than their opponents, Billings slotted the first, a snap under some pressure about 15m out. He was incredible the entire game. He is one of the most natural footballers that I have ever seen. Membrey was huge again, not as big as last week but took around 3 marks in the opening 5 minutes and he hardly lost his feet. He provides great pressure on the defenders and looks after his teammates. Macrae spent extended time up forward and was very good, missed a few shots and I have a few question marks over his kicking action but when he has the ball, he finds space and is a great runner. Macrae is in a way like Pendlebury in the way that he is a smooth mover, just finds the gaps and can get around players easily. Very very smart footballer and has that aura of arrogance, which I like. Kristian Jaksch was good, took some really good contested marks including a hangar and was good on the lead. He was moved into defence at around half-time and didn't look out of place at all. Jay Kennedy-Harris was prominent too and is an exact replica of Robin Nahas, I mean, there is no closer comparison. He'll need to put on some size though if he's going to make it. Similar to Kennedy-Harris, Jordan Collopy was really good on the outside and loves to take players on, he has good pace and a good kick. I wouldn't mind us having a look at him. I also liked Aiden Franetic from the Chargers, he was really good today. He is an excellent kick but made a few blues when the heat was on.

At half time Oakleigh were up by around 20 points and for me, their class was just too overwhelming. However, a few guns of Gippsland stood up and a beauty of a game began to unfold. My BOG for me, Nicholas Graham was absolutely incredible. After half-time he literally put Gippsland on his shoulders. He won an incredible amount of clearances and even went forward and slotted around 3. He is a Luke Hodge type, after this game I would be ecstatic if we could snag him with our 2nd round, but I now have some doubts whether he will last that far. Other than Membrey who was the focal point for the whole game, GP's other KPF was Josh Scott. He was pretty ordinary in the first half but he worked himself into the game. He was brilliant in the last half and he was very confident in his abilities. His style reminds me of Jack Watts, but maybe not the same level of athleticism. William Hams was also pretty decent. He is fast, he loves to take players on, is good overhead and is a goal-kicker. There was one really impressive play where he was running through the corridor after taking on like 2-3 Chargers, he kicked it to Membrey who was 50m out infront, who was spoiled and the ball went into space, he sprinted to the ball, did a clean pick-up and snapped truly from around 45m out.

Power got on top of Oakleigh and were up by 2 goals with around 5 minutes to go. Some excellent work by Billings and another player who now eludes me saw Oakleigh break even with their opposition. With 30 seconds to go the Chargers won a clearance, the ball got to the wing. Collopy got the ball and found Macrae, alone 45m out near the boundary. Macrae practically waltzed in, kicked a behind and the siren went. It was quite an entertaining finish to a great game. Last mention I'd like to give goes to Jarryd Drew, who along with Graham and Membrey was part of Power's resurgence. He is an inside-mid with pace, attacks the ball like Morris and can go forward and snag a few, which was evident when he kicked a clutch goal to put GP in the lead.

If anyone has some questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer them.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
I'd agree with others that Nick Graham was BOG. If Macrae didn't kick that point in extra time, I don't think he would have gotten the medal.

I was more interested in some of the more unheralded prospects - Will Hams, Josh Cashman, Jack Johnstone, Shannen Lange, Caleb Vearing and Ryan Exon all looked good. And that's not to mention the underaged kids like Aidan Franetic, Tom Cutler and Jay Kennedy-Harris who would have been in the top 10 on the ground.

Just a good game all round really.

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd agree with others that Nick Graham was BOG. If Macrae didn't kick that point in extra time, I don't think he would have gotten the medal.

I was more interested in some of the more unheralded prospects - Will Hams, Josh Cashman, Jack Johnstone, Shannen Lange, Caleb Vearing and Ryan Exon all looked good. And that's not to mention the underaged kids like Aidan Franetic, Tom Cutler and Jay Kennedy-Harris who would have been in the top 10 on the ground.

Just a good game all round really.

I was really impressed with Hams today, Cashman did some really good things. Vearing for me is a bit of a poor man's Membrey. Similar height and weight but Tim is just so much more dominant. Exon was a bit quiet for me but did some really good things early. Franetic was named in the bests by the Chargers but to be honest, I didn't really see it. He was in panic mode any time he had confrontation and made some big blues. Cutler looks the goods. Kennedy Harris I have already praised. As I said before, he really reminds me of Nahas.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Kennedy Harris I have already praised. As I said before, he really reminds me of Nahas.

I didn't realise that was praise. :p

I've said it elsewhere already, but there are quite a few quality small forward/midfielders for next years draft. Should be a pretty fun Championships to watch next year in that regard.

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the most odd finish's ive ever been at.

Game was won in golden point. Did all players on the ground know this? As i was at ground & heard from a 34rd party not even at the ground that they won in golden point. Bit piss poor even the player had no idea

ajdude

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the most odd finish's ive ever been at.

Game was won in golden point. Did all players on the ground know this? As i was at ground & heard from a 34rd party not even at the ground that they won in golden point. Bit piss poor even the player had no idea
i was there too and only found out at half time of the VFL game i'm pretty sure it was where the announcer said it was won in extra time, then it made sense to me
but i don't like it at all, two halves of 5 minutes works heaps better

Sezzac1

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2004
Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
The ball was back in the middle so no advantage for anyone. No wind assistance at the ground. All fair and square as far as I can see. Perhaps the siren might have been blown once the ball was bounced, an announcement made to the crowd about the situation and then another restart in the middle.

Congrats to OC. I suspect GP wouldn't have gotten as close as they did had McDonald and Heath played. Kudos to GP for their year which was immensely consistent. Not to many stars, just alot of very hard working young footballers who played the game in great spirit every week.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
The ball was back in the middle so no advantage for anyone. No wind assistance at the ground. All fair and square as far as I can see. Perhaps the siren might have been blown once the ball was bounced, an announcement made to the crowd about the situation and then another restart in the middle.
What happens if the defenders weren't aware of the situation & rush a behind?

Back