TAC Cup Game VS Eastern Ranges

Remove this Banner Ad

Half Time: Gold Coast 5 - 6 - 36 Ranges 11 - 3 - 69 Coasters fighting hard. Just started to rain.

Coast playing a much closer game. Great effort in the rain. 3/4 time: Gold Coast 6 - 8 - 44 Rangers 12 - 6 - 78

Just got home. Cant remember the final score but I think it was somewhere around the 64-104 mark. Not a great start to the year, although Im not sure what Eastern Ranges were expected to finish but didnt think it was that far up there.

Some good signs from some of the boys tonight. Though Hamish Watts was sensational off the half back line. Won the contested ball on the ground and in the air. Good size, skills and athletism for a football player as well.

Skills in general were horrible for GC throughout the match, may be due to the difficult conditions but Eastern Ranges managed much better with them. Use to it more I guess. MAny kicks missed a target and lots went Out On the Full. Work below knees was very poor aswell. Not many one touch players out their, alot of fumbles.

Best on ground for Gold Coast I believe was No.33 (Not sure who he was as didnt get a record.) Started on the ball and is silky smooth in traffic and lighting fast. Decent disposal as well. Indigineous player I believe or may have the Papua New Guinean?? Any way looks like a lively player.

Others that impressed me was skipper Marc Lock who tried hard, won a fair bit of the ball and kicked two goals, Luke Shreeve who went hard at the ball and did some very nice things and Zac Smith who did well in the ruck.

Weve still got some players to come back in like Charlie Dixon(Inj), JAck Stanley, Cheyne Hutchinson (Suspended) and a couple of others so defienately room for improvement

The bars were not open, nothing was.:confused:

I thought the players were evenly skilled for both sides, but GC delivery to the forward line was deplorable. Listened to the coach at quarter time and he wasn't impressed with players kicking to forwards who were 1 against 3.

The captain tried hard and i think it was Joey Day who looked like a class footballer, but the rain ended him displaying his skills.

The bars were not open, nothing was.:confused:

I thought the players were evenly skilled for both sides, but GC delivery to the forward line was deplorable. Listened to the coach at quarter time and he wasn't impressed with players kicking to forwards who were 1 against 3.

The captain tried hard and i think it was Joey Day who looked like a class footballer, but the rain ended him displaying his skills.
Yeah Daye's long kick into the forward line where Rory Thompson marked and goaled was sensational. Beautiful raking left boot. Not the bloke I was talking about though
Anyone who was at the game get the player list. Intersted to know who No.33 was. Played a good game.

Full Time: Gold Coast 9 - 10 - 64 Ranges 16 - 6 - 102 Great game but the rain slowed things down. No. 33 was amazing. We'll only get better. See you at the next game sausage roll.

Spot on with the assessmant on #33. A couple of people from Labrador FC (I think) said that Pirika (PNG player) was playing for them tomorrow (Sunday) and they didn't know who #33 was. They mentioned we might have 2 PNG players. Don't remember hearing about a second though. Anyone? #33 played really well in the intra-club game last week too but was the standout tonight. He would have laid more than 10 tackles and got quite a few clearances. For the record Pirika is listed as #45.

Zac Smith was excellent in the ruck. He's mobile, covers a lot of ground reasonably fast and gets a fair bit of the ball and even dives into packs. I don't remember him losing a ruck contest. I'd say he'll end up being a very good AFL ruckman and could turn out to be a star. Declan Bevan also impressed me when he was rucking too. He has very good hand skills and they're both good when the ball is on the ground.

As mentioned Shreeve played well. He's hard at it and finds a lot of the ball. From what I've seen of him his disposal needs a lot of work but if he can improve on this he'll go far.
Josh Thomas is another player who plays a similar type of game to Shreeve and impressed me a lot. Taylor Rolfe gets in there too.

Lock was good again and Stanlake looks pretty dangerous up forward.
Watts and Crawford both look good in defense and Ramage seems to be pretty composed and Haberfield hasn't seen a lot of the ball in the games so far but has good awareness and does a lot of things that go un-noticed.
Daye has looked pretty good too who's skills are important to the team but he is definitely an outside player. If he can improve his inside game he'll be a great player.

I think the final score was around 16-6 to 9-10 which is good considering I think it was 10 goals to 2 half way through the second quarter.

Early on there was a huge gap between the skill levels between the 2 clubs and it wasn't helped by the fact that players were playing from behind all over the ground.
I think the more it rains the better the GC boys will go. They're hard at it which is good in the rain and the rain will bring the opposition skill levels down to our level.
Even in the rain the Rangers kicked a couple of very good goals while GC missed a few that really should have been kicked.

Anyway, it was a very positive finish after a shocking 1 & 1/2 quarters and once they gel more and improve their skill levels they'll get much better results.

Sat with Phurry tonight. We're planning on meeting up for all the TAC games. Would be great to get a few more guys together if anyone's interested

Some Photos:
gc1.jpg

gc3.jpg

gc4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the beanpole ruckman? I noticed at quarter time he was about 4 or 5 inches taller than Jeff White, he's one big boy!

Fantastic match report for those of us that were not there last night SR.

Sounds like we have a good platform to build on, just need to work on giving away big leads, but like you say, the boys will gel.

I think Haberfield is a better player than he is showing at the moment, maybe just finding his feet?, do you think he has leadership potential?

Spot on SausageRoll. Cant disagree with anything there. Didnt have a team list record they were handing out and was just knowing some of them on my own knowledge but you mentioned Josh Thomas. What number was he? Never watched him play before.

Cheers Gloryandfame for the pictures.

Agree with the others reguarding the young aboriginal player no.33 , has great skills though conditions would of suited a small low to the ground player , was also impressed with Marc Lock and Joey Daye on the wing. I tought Eastern were more slick in there disposal and there set up up forward was a lot more efficent then ours , but first game out of the way and there were some good signs.

Gold Coast 2.3 5.6 6.8 9.10 (64)
Eastern Ranges 7.2 11.3 12.6 16.6 (102)

GOALS:
Gold Coast: Lock 3 Stanlake 2 Shreeve 2 Thompson Daye
Eastern Ranges: McDonald 5 Wilson 2 Johns 2 Scott 2 Kennedy Young Harper Griffiths Moore

BEST:
Gold Coast: Smith Shreeve Susuve Lock Crawford Ramage
Eastern Ranges: Mullett Gysberts McDonald Scott Crowle Moore

Who was the beanpole ruckman? I noticed at quarter time he was about 4 or 5 inches taller than Jeff White, he's one big boy!

Zac Smith

I think Haberfield is a better player than he is showing at the moment, maybe just finding his feet?, do you think he has leadership potential?

I drafted Haberfield in the buddy draft so I've been paying a bit of attention to him. A couple of weeks ago I saw somewhere that he beat Dayne Beams in the Scorpions B&F last year so he must be pretty good!
He's played mostly on the wing but he's had a few runs through the middle but really hasn't seen all that much of the ball. I don't know what the problem is with that but it seems that he's playing more of a defensive game rather than going and getting his own ball. He's aware of loose opposition and will drop back into defense to cover opposition who've managed to slip away. He does all the 1% stuff really well. He reads the play ok and tackles reasonably well. He'll shepherd and I've seen him do a few great diving smoothers including one last night that really grabbed my attention (didn't realise it was him until after he'd done it). He seems to be one of the more skillful players in the team and uses the ball pretty well when he gets it.

I do think he's got quite a lot of leadership qualities and was actually expecting him to be one of the deputies to Lock especially seeing he's often chatting to Lock between quarters. I saw somewhere that he was named in the leadershp group but missed the top jobs. His team mates seem to respect him and he does have a leadership kind of feel to him.

Hopefully he starts to back himself offensively a bit more over time. Would love to see him rip it up next time they play at home which'll be just before the AFL match.

Spot on SausageRoll. Cant disagree with anything there. Didnt have a team list record they were handing out and was just knowing some of them on my own knowledge but you mentioned Josh Thomas. What number was he? Never watched him play before.

Cheers Gloryandfame for the pictures.

Yes, great pics Gloryandfame. Cheers:)

Josh Thomas is #9. I'd never noticed him before and wasn't a player I was really watching but he grabbed my attention early on by bursting and also weaving through a couple of packs. The more I watched him the more I saw him do it. Like Shreeve, I think his skills need to improve but if this game was anything to go by he'll be a great consistent player. He must have copped a knock to the head at some stage because he finished the game with tape around his head

Tough first match, but could be expected due to lack of match practice. Let down a bit by the centre, poor disposals and accuracy kicking into the forward even prior to the rain but team work should improve with time. Wet conditions did contribute to alot of the poor ball skills. Thomas, Lock and Shreeve were amongst the best. Thought defence was under the pump but handled it well. Watts and Ramage played well in defence, worked hard despite constant pressure. Team showed a promising start and should improve with more game time.

Great report guys. I'm hoping they improve their rain skills because most of their games will be played in the rain. You can't give a team ahead start and expect to win. Looking fwd to seeing them play in Victoria. Just a question for the Gold Coast people. Do any of you have plans to see them play in Victoria? Or will you just watch them at home?

Great reports guys and i agree with you all.
Also thanks for the pics gloryandfame!!
For those who can't make the TAC cup games i am happy
to post live scores from the game and sausageroll can then complete the thread with his amazing reviews of the game.
In time we'll be an amazing team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back