AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Celtics/Bruins/Red Sox/Patriots
From teamgws.com.au

North Ballarat Rebels vs. Greater Western Sydney
Sunday 25th April
Eureka Stadium at 1:00 PM

This weekend the boys will travel to Ballarat for their first away game for the year, having played their first two rounds at Blacktown Olympic Park.
With both sides yet to register a victory it should be a strong contest.
Coach Alan McConnell said that they boys were looking forward to this new challenge.

"This is yet another exciting opportunity and a different challenge as it will be the first time many of these boys have had to travelled and play.
"It will be an interesting challenge not only because of the travel but also due to the climate as the forecast for Sunday is 14 degrees.
"Again we’re just really looking forward to seeing the improvement and the hard work from the boys.

An exciting inclusion for this week's game is South African recruit Bayanda Sobetwa, who arrived in Australia just six days ago.

Results from Sunday's match will be posted on Sunday. Full time list is detailed below.
Good luck boys!

B

Pianta

Ferguson

Hutton

HB

Lloyd

Bruce

Williams

C

Dimery

Carey

Stevens

HF

Collins

Hartley

Flagg

F

Gourlay

Birch

Sobetwa

R

Bull

Anderson

Webster

Int

Bray

White

Stubbs

Mahony

Townsend

Not quite the result GWS were wanting with their first road trip. A bad second quarter put GWS up against it, being 29 points down at half time. But, looking for a positive, they continued to run the game out till the end and didn't let it blow out.

North Ballarat Rebels 4.3 10.3 14.7 16.9 (105)
Greater Western Sydney 2.3 5.4 7.6 10.11 (71)
Goals : North Ballarat -
S Dobson 4, L Cook 4, J Cameron 3, T McDonald 2, C McMahon, W Pomorin, C Schache. GWS - A Birch 2, K Stevens 2, A Flagg, J Townsend, J Bruce, M Hartley, A Carey, D Williams.
Best : North Ballarat - B Mabon, L Cook, T Ross, M Darmody, C Currie, C McMahon. GWS - J Townsend, T Stubbs, A Carey, J Mahony, J Anderson, J Webster.

I went to the game and can only give you an opinion of a footy fan (not an expert) who is hampered by a lack of in-depth knowledge of the GWS players. G&F is right in that we fought it out, helped by having a reasonable wind in the last quater. In the last quarter we also got first to the ball more often.

Earlier we tended to play from behind and had trouble in covering players when the Rebels had the ball. We appeared to me to lack the ability to run or break the lines. A lot of this is due to an inability to hit our targets, particulalrly with handball. We handball a lot to little effect. We also seem to lose our footing too often.

Carey and Stubbs appeared to be the most prominant to me. Other than those listed amongst our best; I thought Flagg showed some get up and go, Ferguson battled hard at full-back and Hartley at full-forward tried hard (at times). He has a decent kick and if he can get it more often he could be a strong target.

In Summary, we appear to be still coming together as a 'team' especially on the field, but there is certainly a lot of spirit there already.

Thanks for the info BNW. Good to know they're improving every week and have good team spirit. It's important for them to recognise this & will help in keeping their heads held high.

I went to the game and can only give you an opinion of a footy fan (not an expert) who is hampered by a lack of in-depth knowledge of the GWS players. G&F is right in that we fought it out, helped by having a reasonable wind in the last quater. In the last quarter we also got first to the ball more often.

Earlier we tended to play from behind and had trouble in covering players when the Rebels had the ball. We appeared to me to lack the ability to run or break the lines. A lot of this is due to an inability to hit our targets, particulalrly with handball. We handball a lot to little effect. We also seem to lose our footing too often.

Carey and Stubbs appeared to be the most prominant to me. Other than those listed amongst our best; I thought Flagg showed some get up and go, Ferguson battled hard at full-back and Hartley at full-forward tried hard (at times). He has a decent kick and if he can get it more often he could be a strong target.

In Summary, we appear to be still coming together as a 'team' especially on the field, but there is certainly a lot of spirit there already.
Thanks BNW, good to get some news, I agree from previous games that our handball often ends up behind the target but it will come I am sure

I was also at the game & thought they had some good moments but were up against a pretty good side

Thought Mabon, Cook & Cameron were very good for the rebels, Mabon & Cook will get drafted. GWS got close a couple of times but then rebels put on the gas, reality was that they turned it over less & took better options all day. Mabon super leap & reads the play well, cook & cameron very similar cook maybe just ahead super pair of hands. Ohter pomorin,taggert, ross & bamblett. They moved it well & appeared to play to a plan.

As a blues fan I went to watch Bray & Pianta, Bray rucked a bit & did a little, I only recall seeing Pianta get the footy once may be wrong but I hardly noticed him.

Don't know who picks gws best but they must of been at a different game to me, thought flagg was best then carey, along with ferguson who battle hard against quality opposition, bruce had a crack & the young darwin buffalo bloke anderson was good, webster looked ordinary 1st half & didn't improve much throughout had read a bit on him before going out for a look, stubbs stood out due to his hair I thought he took some poor options & should punch from behind, simply would not have townsend or mahony in the top 6 thought mahony was very ordinary kicked a couple of floaters that I marked in my record, hartley & birch tried but appeared to lack something, carey & dimery appeared to be the strongest over the ball & at contest.

South African bloke looked lost gws have a bit of work to do

Would have to disagree on hartley and birch, both need to lift there game and improve in a lot of areas. Thought bruce was solid again always a presence, flagg showed promising signs as did stevens had plenty of the footy. overall i think GWS are improving will be interesting to follow as the season goes on.

Would have to disagree on hartley and birch, both need to lift there game and improve in a lot of areas. Thought bruce was solid again always a presence, flagg showed promising signs as did stevens had plenty of the footy. overall i think GWS are improving will be interesting to follow as the season goes on.

Thanks footy 33 & bella rat

Have been to a couple of games out at blacktown just for a look as am interested in how they set this new team up.

Disappointing that webster didn't play well, though I seen he was named in the best, though by the sounds of bella rat post some one at another game gave the votes, who knows what they are looking for.

Will be interesting to see the RAMS squad for this week fair bet that consistant underperformers with big reputations will get selected & consistent week in week out performers will miss out, same thing happens every year.

From all reports & what i've seen at games I've attended birch lacks something & hartley's kicking lets him down to often though 2 weeks ago I thought he attacked the footy well.

Bella rat thanks for the news on the 2 blues boys, I haven't been impressed with Pianta when I have seen him either, Bray I've seen a couple of promising signs.

Whats the deal with carey do you think they'll keep him for vfl next year? where do him & then sth african kid play the next 2 weeks as don't think they can play rams do they & others go back to local clubs?

Once again thanks for the update with them being on the road for 3 or 4 weeks won't see any of their games so is good to hear some news as the team GWS web site is useless, smh didn't even have the results in monday paper, pretty f#**in ordinary really. Who is the marketing fool out there n what a waste of money if they are paying someone.

While the sth african kid didn't do a lot surely someone took a photo & sent it to the media with the result, goal kickers & "best", how hard can it be to send that email.

I'll bet every muppet in sydney who claims to be an afl legend is trying to weasal their way into gws & it will be filled with the usual useless ar*e lickers & hangers on that sydney footy usually attracts (with the odd honourable exceptions).

Please pardon my ignorance of TAC rules as I'm in SA, but I've just read stevebulls post and don't understand the part about why Alex Carey & Bayanda Sobetwa may not being allowed to play in the next 2 games? Sportingpulse fixture has GWS playing against Murray Bushrangers then Bendigo Pioneers over the next 2 weeks? He's quoted the Rams, so I'm a tad confused.

Well said stevebull
have watched over the last few years and seen that the usual hangers on have infultrated the gws.
they have over the last couple of years not been able to get a player from sydney drafted into the afl whilst being in the nsw afl are now hanging around the gws as so called experts and have seen boys with sprained ankles stay out weeks on end to justify someones job.
Hopefully someone will see that the hangers on and w--kers will be found out before it is too late

Thanks footy 33 & bella rat

Have been to a couple of games out at blacktown just for a look as am interested in how they set this new team up.

Disappointing that webster didn't play well, though I seen he was named in the best, though by the sounds of bella rat post some one at another game gave the votes, who knows what they are looking for.

Will be interesting to see the RAMS squad for this week fair bet that consistant underperformers with big reputations will get selected & consistent week in week out performers will miss out, same thing happens every year.

From all reports & what i've seen at games I've attended birch lacks something & hartley's kicking lets him down to often though 2 weeks ago I thought he attacked the footy well.

Bella rat thanks for the news on the 2 blues boys, I haven't been impressed with Pianta when I have seen him either, Bray I've seen a couple of promising signs.

Whats the deal with carey do you think they'll keep him for vfl next year? where do him & then sth african kid play the next 2 weeks as don't think they can play rams do they & others go back to local clubs?

Once again thanks for the update with them being on the road for 3 or 4 weeks won't see any of their games so is good to hear some news as the team GWS web site is useless, smh didn't even have the results in monday paper, pretty f#**in ordinary really. Who is the marketing fool out there n what a waste of money if they are paying someone.

While the sth african kid didn't do a lot surely someone took a photo & sent it to the media with the result, goal kickers & "best", how hard can it be to send that email.

I'll bet every muppet in sydney who claims to be an afl legend is trying to weasal their way into gws & it will be filled with the usual useless ar*e lickers & hangers on that sydney footy usually attracts (with the odd honourable exceptions).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please pardon my ignorance of TAC rules as I'm in SA, but I've just read stevebulls post and don't understand the part about why Alex Carey & Bayanda Sobetwa may not being allowed to play in the next 2 games? Sportingpulse fixture has GWS playing against Murray Bushrangers then Bendigo Pioneers over the next 2 weeks? He's quoted the Rams, so I'm a tad confused.
Not sure quite how the rules allow it but for the next 2 weeks the Rams will be playing as GWS, presumably as lead up matches for the nationals. There is considerable overlap between the 2 squads so I presume they will just temporarily transfer those Rams players not part of GWS. Mainly Riverina and Vic school based players. Seems a bit strange but I guess it is all part of the very strong links between AFLNSWACT and GWS that seems to exist.

It might prove a little unfortunate eventually but the crossing of employees from one organisatio to the other seems a bit excessive. They might have been better to bring in more new blood from outside but only time will tell.

Not sure quite how the rules allow it but for the next 2 weeks the Rams will be playing as GWS, presumably as lead up matches for the nationals. There is considerable overlap between the 2 squads so I presume they will just temporarily transfer those Rams players not part of GWS. Mainly Riverina and Vic school based players. Seems a bit strange but I guess it is all part of the very strong links between AFLNSWACT and GWS that seems to exist.

It might prove a little unfortunate eventually but the crossing of employees from one organisatio to the other seems a bit excessive. They might have been better to bring in more new blood from outside but only time will tell.

I have been able to confirm that Alex will be playing in these 2 matches

Good on Alex, well deserved. Just to confirm the links between the organisations I note Bayanda from SA has been named in Rams team. Nothing against him whatsoever and I hope he turns into a champion but a bit of a kick in the guts for a few others in both the Rams and GWS squads who have been working since September or so.

As a GWS contracted player I get the selection for them but Rams is supposed to be representative footy for the best 24 or so in NSW.

Hopefully it all will come together and the links between Rams and GWS do not destroy boys who are at a very important time in their footy.

... don't be confused ... there IS no AFL NSW/ACT ... there is ONLY GWS ... if you are some washed up player from interstate, or infact involved in AFL in NSW in any way at the moment, you are either on their payroll, or at the interview stage! (and don't mention the "S" word!):rolleyes:

btw, did they play last week? ... nothing on there website, although Dale Holmes is denying that they have spoken to some Rugby League player who cant even make a rep side ... whatthe??:mad:

I joined the GWS Facebook group so I can try and keep up with what is happening. Someone from the club put last weeks scores up on there Sunday night after the game.
I've also set up the Sportingpulse TAC results page as a favourite so I can click on there to see the best players, goal kickers etc. each week. Is usually updated within a few hours a finish time.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?a=ROUND&round=5&client=0-3020-0-102897-0&pool=-1

I joined the GWS Facebook group so I can try and keep up with what is happening. Someone from the club put last weeks scores up on there Sunday night after the game.
I've also set up the Sportingpulse TAC results page as a favourite so I can click on there to see the best players, goal kickers etc. each week. Is usually updated within a few hours a finish time.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?a=ROUND&round=5&client=0-3020-0-102897-0&pool=-1
Yeah FF I go there too but I would like to think someone could put pen to paper and write a few paragraphs about the game, pick out some highlights and how the boys went. Scores etc are good but the report just is sooooo much better. Maybe one day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back