Bytel

Fletcher

Firebrace

Today's matches-

SATURDAY, MAR 25

GIPPSLAND POWER vs DANDENONG STINGRAYS (MRR) 1pm
GEELONG FALCONS vs GWV REBELS (SS) 2:30pm
MURRAY BUSHRANGERS vs BENDIGO PIONEERS (PRO) 3:15pm

Note those times are obviously Victorian time.

Final scores from today's games:

Sandringham Dragons 19.9 111 defeated Oakleigh Chargers 8.8 56

Northern Knights 14.12 96 defeated Western Jets 12.8 80

D_P_S Final thoughts on this match? How did some of the more well known names from todays games go such as Higgins, Penrith and Rayner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final scores from today's games:

Sandringham Dragons 19.9 111 defeated Oakleigh Chargers 8.8 56

Northern Knights 14.12 96 defeated Western Jets 12.8 80

D_P_S Final thoughts on this match? How did some of the more well known names from todays games go such as Higgins, Penrith and Rayner?
When I get home I'll have a full recap including yesterday's game between Bendigo and Murray. Higgins starred, Penrith was quiet and Rayner almost won the game of his own boot, he is top 10 this year no question

When I get home I'll have a full recap including yesterday's game between Bendigo and Murray. Higgins starred, Penrith was quiet and Rayner almost won the game of his own boot, he is top 10 this year no question
I don't know what to make of Higgins. On the one hand he has an outstanding work rate, racks up the footy with ease and can be dangerous around goal but on the other hand from what I have seen of him his disposal can be poor and I feel like he lacks a standout attribute that will serve him well at AFL level hence I find it hard to agree with those who see him as a potential top 5 pick. Perhaps he'll be a Sam Mitchell or Touk Miller type? Despite being small and lacking a standout attribute they are just really smart, clever footballers who rack up the ball all day/night long. I need to see more of him this year to get a better idea of where I stand with him.

I don't know what to make of Higgins. On the one hand he has an outstanding work rate, racks up the footy with ease and can be dangerous around goal but on the other hand from what I have seen of him his disposal can be poor and I feel like he lacks a standout attribute that will serve him well at AFL level hence I find it hard to agree with those who see him as a potential top 5 pick. Perhaps he'll be a Sam Mitchell or Touk Miller type? Despite being small and lacking a standout attribute they are just really smart, clever footballers who rack up the ball all day/night long. I need to see more of him this year to get a better idea of where I stand with him.
Yeah despite playing well I can't fit him in my top 10, got plenty of the ball today but so did another small mid in Lachlan Fogarty and it's tough to justify taking either top 10 although both are ball magnets and have an influence

I saw about 10 minutes of the Knights v Jest game on the live stream and Rayner collected the footy from a ruck tap in heavy traffic and kicked a beautiful drop punt under immense pressure to a teammate out on the wing. Am looking forward to reading your write up of his game. I saw on twitter that he kicked two goals in the 3rd quarter.

I saw about 10 minutes of the Knights v Jest game on the live stream and Rayner collected the footy from a ruck tap in heavy traffic and kicked a beautiful drop punt under immense pressure to a teammate out on the wing. Am looking forward to reading your write up of his game. I saw on twitter that he kicked two goals in the 3rd quarter.
Yep he was the difference in the 3rd he was sensational

Round 1 Murray Bushrangers vs Bendigo Pioneers

Murray 13 13 91
Bendigo 5 10 40

Goal Scorers
Murray:
Jessy Wilson 2, Nathan Oakes 2, Joe Richards 2, Hudson Garoni 2, Dave Smith 2, Floyd Bollinghaus, Nathan Richards, Joshua Flight

Bendigo: Daine Grace 2, Lewin Davis 2, Coby McCarthy

Best Players
Murray:
Will Donaghey, Hudson Garoni, Nathan Oakes, Jessy Wilson, Harrison Jones, Dave Smith

Bendigo: Paddy Dow, Tom Campbell, Kane Farrell, Angus Schumacher, Jacob Atley, Jose Miliado

Murray
19. Will Donaghey – 191cm – Half Back
Donaghey provided terrific run from defense and his kicking was sublime. Donaghey racked up plenty of possessions down back running to good spots and working hard to receive. Donaghey was involved in many marking contests and that may be something opposition clubs will target but Donaghey is so good at zoning off and setting up play that its hard to keep him under wraps. Donaghey is proving to be one of the most damaging defenders in the TAC competition.

27. Harrison Jones – 183cm – Midfield
Jones got heaps of the ball he works hard on the inside and outside and set up a lot of Murray’s forward movement. Kicking was a mixed bag but was good more often than not, his skills and smarts in general are very good and has that nice mix to be able to win the hard ball and work into space to receive and be a link up.

18. Hudson Garoni – 193cm – Key Forward
Garoni was a powerhouse up forward and had an incredible and competitive duel with Bendigo’s Tom Campbell. Garoni showed his incredible contested marking and his lead up marks where top notch. The good thing with Garoni is he would quickly follow up as soon as the ball hit the ground and his kicking and awareness to hit a target was sublime. Garoni looks a top prospect for the 2018 draft.

17. Nathan Oakes – 184cm – Midfield
Oakes is as tough as they come, he won a lot of the hard ball and even pusged forward as the game went on and showed he can be damaging on the outside. Oakes doesn’t flinch at a contest with his attack on the ball on show, his work in the clearances was great showing good vision by hand. Oakes looks a confidence player and once its up he is hard to stop.

31. Jessy Wilson – 184cm – Forward
Wilson is a smooth mover and uses his body extremely well up forward. Wilson took some great contested marks he uses his body well and has clean hands, he even does it at ground level and once Wilson has his sights set on the ball its his. Wilson’s left foot is a weapon its long and and penetrating and Wilson doesn’t muck around getting the ball on the boot he makes good and quick decisions. Wilson could prove to be a draft bolter as the year goes on.

Bendigo
1. Paddy Dow – 184cm – Midfield
Dow showed his class in the center getting plenty of the ball and using it well. Dow is a smooth mover with great agility in the stoppages and shows a cool and calm head, his skill by hand and foot is first class and did great work on the outside in one instance taking a nice mark and quickly playing on taking a bounce and then a lovely pass forward. Dow is tough and everything he does is quality he looks like one of the more complete midfielders in this years draft.

2. Kane Farrell – 180cm – Wing/Forward
Farrell showed his lethal left foot and clean hands in a classy display. Farrell was quite early but worked into the game well and Bendigo look much better when it’s in Farrell’s hands he is just such a clean and classy player. He is an elite kick and could probably run past for the handball more instead of waiting for the ball to come to him. Inside game needs work but it won’t matter as much if he can win a lot of it on the outside where he is most damaging.

5. Tom Campbell – 192cm – Key Defender
Campbell was a rock in defense and he had a great competitive contest with Murray’s Hudson Garoni. Campbell was terrific one on one taking some great contested and intercept marks. Generally picked the right option but was sometimes lazy by foot which im hoping he irons out as the year goes on. Campbell has a great competitive attitude which will hold him well for the season.

16. Jacob Atley – 189cm – Half Back
Atley was great in defense showing his trademark dash and evasiveness. He attacked and defended to a high quality, he did some terrific chases even taking down Murray’s Dave Smith who is lightning fast. Atley loves to attack and will take the ball under his arm and doge and weave players with ease, he has speed and dare from half back which clubs love and he looks to follow in his brothers footsteps in the 2018 draft.

20. Angus Schumacher – 189cm – Midfield
Schumacher was classy and composed in the midfield going In hard and winning the ball on the outside as well. Schumacher is usually classy but he showed a real hard edge with some fantastic attack on the ball and some very good tackling efforts, he still needs to win more of the ball but when he did get it he was skillful and composed. Schumacher is a great mark overhead and he took some great marks all over the ground and looks a constant threat for Bendigo this year.

Will those notes be on this forum mate?
Ill have the completed notes of all 3 on me profiles on the Phantom board and here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back