TAC Scraps Geelong Sponsorship

Remove this Banner Ad

Farcical. Let's suppose TAC supported a non profit charity. The CEO for that charity gets done for speeding. Would TAC withdraw their sponsorship? No.

This is all about publicity / media management.

Selwood/other player gets done for speeding. 20 reporters ring the TAC asking - what action are you taking? What choice do TAC have. Say "nothing" and effectively they are condoning the behaviour.

Just think TAC should just sponsor AFL instead of a specific club to avoid the drama in the future.

The guy was 27km/h over the speed limit. Thats not a momentary lapse in concentration or a misunderstanding, thats blatantly flaunting the rules, and he had two mates in the car. This is the sort of thing where we hear 3 young men died in a car crash and its a horror story. I think the TAC are within their rights to move away after this incident, as its not a great association. Selwood chose to break the rules, not the TAC.
Plus Geelong have an awful record in recent off seasons with driving related offences. Selwood should be stripped of the captaincy and Danger given the role.

Makes you wonder why they ever sponsored a footy club if that's all it takes to cut ties.
And it's the 3rd or 4th club the TAC has severed ties with.

I agree with the earlier poster who said the TAC are taking the AFL for a ride.

Well the TAC are against drink driving and speeding. It is kind of their thing.
But sponsoring football teams made up of guys with too much money and not much sense. It's a recipe for disaster.

As I said on the Geelong board - with no AFL club that the TAC sees fit to endorse why are they still sponsoring the AFL with taxpayers money? Could it be because TAC execs get the lurks and perks of corporate sponsorship of the AFL?
Guess where the TAC's head office is - Geelong

Hold on, iirc weren't Geelong put on notice with something smedts did? If true, why the outrage now when a similar act was repeated?

Hold on, iirc weren't Geelong put on notice with something smedts did? If true, why the outrage now when a similar act was repeated?
Literally no one is outraged here. Smedts took a selfie while driving and uploaded it to Instagram.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mission Accomplished :drunk:

said Clarko after tampering with Selwood's speedometer.

685609-alastair-clarkson.jpg

"What a pisser, eh boys?" said Mr Clarkson yesterday.

I don't know much about feminine hygiene products, but I'll go out on a limb and say that this man is a giant douche:
Joe-Calafiore.jpg

Say hello to the CEO of the TAC, Joe Calafiore. Joe took a gamble on footy clubs knowing damn well there would be indiscretions. And when it happens, he cracks the sads and bails. What a giant douche. Joe's on a salary of $370,000.00. and I reckon I've contributed a fair piece of that, driving past that notorious camera on Station Street in Box Hill. You're welcome Joe. You can have my money. I don't really need it.

On the way home from the Springsteen show at Hanging Rock I got boxed into the right lane of a three lane highway near Chadstone at midnight by two *s doing 70 in an 80 zone, and I exceeded the speed limit momentarily to overtake them, right under a camera, and I'm still f**king infuriated. If either of those two people are reading this, you can both go f**k yourselves. It's midnight. I want to f**king go home! I got tailgated driving out of Woodend, then I crawled along the Calder for an hour because of a booze bus, then I was detoured off the Bolte bridge because the tunnel was closed for maintenance, and the final f**king straw was those two morons who thought 80 was just too much to ask. Joe can stick his cameras. Other countries have proven that there are other equally effective methods besides speed cameras to reduce the road toll, 'but where's the fun in that' said Joe. 'I want to make everyone insane and steal their money'. 'I call it legalised extortion'. The NZ govt tried installing cameras, but the people stood up and said 'no f**king way'. And guess what? The people got what they wanted. Australians are so apathetic, it makes me sick.

Now for Geelong. Was I the only one surprised to hear that there were 7 indiscretions? The s**t that this club gets away with, because journos are too lazy to travel down the highway. Magpie fans are thinking 'WTF!'. If it were pies players, you'd know all about each and every one of those 7 indiscretions. It would be front page, back page, that b**ch Susie O'Brien would have her say, Caro would do cartwheels. Not only would you know what speed they were doing, you'd know their complete driving history, you'd know what they were listening to on the radio, you'd know the name of their mechanic. Hutchy would probably follow them in case they reoffend.

Speaking of our beloved media... it's nice that they're finally arcing up about this ridiculous '3rd man up' rule. Better late than never I guess. Where the hell were they when the AFL were drawing up this rule? I know where they were. They were busy with the really big stories, like 'Collingwood listen to music during training!!!' I s**t you not. Rohan Connolly actually wrote an article about the Magpies listening to music during training. Kevin Bartlett devoted a whole hour of his radio show to it. This is our media? God help us all.

But getting back to Mr. Selwood... 127 on a country road Joel, really? Don't be a d**k. You're not one of those morons that speed around blind corners I hope. They're my favourite kind of moron. The ones that speed down winding country roads, around blind corners, gambling with their life, so they can feel like formula one drivers. Here's an idea for Mr. Calafiore - take all your shi**y little cameras out of metropolitan Melbourne, and put them on Mt Dandenong road.

TAC: A bunch of hypocritical week dickheads. It's about time football dumped the TAC. They had a great opportunity to turn a negative into a positive, but oh no, the holier than thou TAC who have never ever had an employee or executive booked for speeding take their sponsorship and go home. (Again) How many clubs is that now? Ridiculous decision when you consider how many players on a football team list, the message for TAC is don't sponsor sporting teams and get your heads out of your arse! Advertising is one of the most powerful hidden forces in our lives. TAC had the chance to use this as a message that even the best get caught speeding, instead the hypocritical brainwashing overlords in charge of TAC once again find a flaw with a football team and take the their dollars and run away from the problem. Revenue from speeding fines was over $300 million in 2016. The road toll is down 41.9% from 62 to 36, you would think that TAC would use this high profile football player to their advantage?

Brian Cook: “It’s just difficult to manage a contract like this. We’ve done our best and in the end it hasn’t worked.”

If doing their best means their captain doing 30clicks over the limit when the sponsorship is on the line, you'd hate to see what their more average efforts look like
Of course no TAC employee or executive has ever been booked for speeding?:rolleyes:

I don't know about you reasonable BF posters, but personally, this is the justice I want to see. IMG_1132.JPG

Just revealed tac have officially scraped cats sponsorship due to selwood incident. Big statement
I wonder if they also sack any employee who breaches the road rules, it's a bit like dumping your Mrs because her 4th cousins dentist cheated on her hubby, what a load of PR crap.

Here's some advice TAC, don't sponsor AFL teams, sponsor nursing homes instead, sick of you campaigners using AFL clubs as a publicity stunt.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back