Tackling drills for Under 10s

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thread starter #1
The team I coach is getting smashed at the contest. I've focussed on getting hands on the ball and ball distribution (handballing at ground level, tapping on/out and positional awareness), but we're struggling to stop the opponent when they have the ball. Under 10s aren't allowed to the take the opposition to the ground, which I agree with, but adds another element to teach.

A part of me thinks it's actually attitude more than skill that's letting us down. A distinct lack of controlled aggression is visible.

So, I'm looking for drills to employ and words of wisdom to take training. Any suggestions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cptkirk

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
How important is tackling at under 10 level?

If your players are showing up week after week then as a junior coach you're doing most things right - try not to put too much thought into development at such a young age

If anything use drills/scenario's where they have to get the ball from within a crowd and run out with it but put in some form of game form so it sticks in their minds and then you can easily refer back to it on game day

brutus76

Premium Platinum
Brisbane (VIC until 21, SA until mid 30's)
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LFC, NFL Redskins, Brisbane Lions
Under 9s and 10s have modified tackling rules. Standing tackle and hold only. No slinging no slamming no spearing no diving no dragging and no tackling if you are on your knees or on the ground. So work on the basic go for the hips tackle at this level. Once they get to Under 11/12 its full on tackling.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Moderator #4
Set up a square of cones. Two players start on one side of the square with the ball.

Have an opponent in the middle of the square.

The two players have to move the ball to the other side of the square. Can run, use handball, shepherd, dodge etc.

Opponent has to try to stop them, tackle, intercept the ball.

Rotate the player in the middle.

Can progress to larger square and have 3 vs 2. Concept stays the same.

Last edited:

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
How important is tackling at under 10 level?

If your players are showing up week after week then as a junior coach you're doing most things right - try not to put too much thought into development at such a young age
Important to understand and start doing as a concept, as it's a fundamental aspect of the game. The way and how and why they do it isn't as important (obviously as long as no one is doing something outside the rules at that age). I would say introducing some form of physical contact and awareness that it's a contact sport is important, especially if they want to progress to under 12s and whatnot.

Realistically at under 10s, they'd be lucky to get any sort of coordinated tackle so I don't think there's much risk involved.

Aeglos

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
IMHO if they can only perform modified tackles I wouldn’t even bother teaching/practicing until they’re in an age group that has standard AFL rules.
Then you can start by getting them tackling the tackle bag and other parents, siblings etc so they gain confidence before moving onto each other.
I’d also agree it is a mindset thing. I was the smallest player in my side til top age 18s but most parents would have considered me one of our stronger tacklers (despite having a pretty horrible technique) due to my speed, competitiveness and lack of fear.

Top Bottom