Prediction Take 5

Remove this Banner Ad

ok then

Your welcome, it’s back...

SPS: as a mid/forward or become more damaging off half back delivering into the forward line.

Gov: improve as a link player from the wing to half forward so H can stay closer to goal

Walsh: jump to AA player and improve our inside 50 entries

Zac W: change the dynamics of the midfield with run, carry and improved disposal inside 50

If that all happens,

Harry: needs to be in the Coleman discussion.

1. Saad

Looking forward to seeing the change in dynamic he can bring.

2. Walsh

How quickly can he keep elevating his game? He will be a game breaking inside/outside mid. Can he get in the AA squad? If he does then we are on! Quickly has become my favourite player.

3. Setterfield

Can he keep growing and give us that second gun inside mid we need?

4. Weitering

Our bookend in defence, can he crack the AA 22 in 2021?

5. Harry McKay

Our bookend in the forward half. Can he elevate himself into the top tier of forwards next year like we know he can. If he does look out.

If four of the five can elevate their games and Saad brings that point of difference we play finals and could go far too!

O’Brien/Dow - desperately want them to show what sos saw in them. Confident they will.

Philp - first rounder Who’s barely talked about. I actually liked some things I saw in his games in the afl.

Marchbank - deserves a bit of luck to show how talented he is.

Kennedy - some have written him off, I’m pleased he’s been given another chance to deliver.

In no particular order:

1 - Saad
2 - Williams
3 - Harry
4 - Setters
5 - Kemp

Screw it, I can't pick just 5...

6 - Stocker
7 - JSOS
8 - Walsh
9 - Fisher
10 - Gov
11 - Willo
12 - SPS
13 - Martin
14 - Cottrell
15 - O'Brien
16 - Philp
17 - Honey
18 - Durdin
19 - Carroll
20 - Owies

DONE

These are the barometer players, the degree of their improvement will most influence our finals chances

1. Stocker- Carlton is thin for mature bodies mids. He has exceptional ability, can he stick with the program and apply himself to the fitness and grind required?

2.Mckay- He is the spearhead now and must deliver each week. He is the right age, fingers crossed for a full pre season but he needs to kick 40+ for us to play finals. I am confident he will deliver.

3. JSoS- Needs to become our number 2 forward, the glue in the forward line. A Mclure type defacto CHF: tackles, passes, knock ons. Jsos ranks 3rd because if we have learnt one thing in the last 2 seasons it is you can not put your house on Mcgovern

4. Kemp- Demonstrating his potential playing as the replacement tall forward or back

5. Durdin/Fogarty- Achieving finals will depend on their small forward ability so we want 20 games and 25 goals between them

In no particular order:

1 - Saad
2 - Williams
3 - Harry
4 - Setters
5 - Kemp

Screw it, I can't pick just 5...

6 - Stocker
7 - JSOS
8 - Walsh
9 - Fisher
10 - Gov
11 - Willo
12 - SPS
13 - Martin
14 - Cottrell
15 - O'Brien
16 - Philp
17 - Honey
18 - Durdin
19 - Carroll
20 - Owies

DONE
Can you add Dow Fogarty and Cunners to your shopping list Ash, cheers...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp - could be anything, we just don't know yet
Stocker - looks like he's ready to become the player we all hoped - apparently Hawks were sniffing around him trade time, so they see it too
Philp - showed a few glimpses in the few matches last year what he's capable of
Ramsay - largely forgotten, but may get opportunities this year - smoky, but looking forward to seeing his progression
Dow - let's not forget the type of football he produced in his first year when he was labelled 'Paddy Wow' - needs a big preseason though

Take 5

Cripps

I just hope he has a Levi esk mentality conversion and stops carrying the weight of the teams performances. It seems to me he puts too much pressure on himself so I hope that he learns to trust his teammates and the system and this frees him up to play at his best.

Jsos

This guy is so so creative in making space and opportunities while also having the mongrel in spades. I hope his running with the oxygen brothers allows his touted move into midfield rotations. He can lock opposition out of the game and give us a different look.

Cunners

I am optimistic that last year has convinced him that he belongs at the level. If trust his instincts I think he is one that will shock the AFL. He just needs to be quickly decisive inside 50 and he will capitalise in his opportunities.

Willow

Similar to cunners in that I hope last year has made him trust his ability. Like many have said he looks primed for a move up to the wing so my optimism lies with his added confidence leading to an increased attack the ball without second thought and get the thing moving our way. (With customary willow class and mongrel).

Marchbank

This guy. I think it’s been said but with marchy playing well in the backline it will really allow Jones and weitering to be far more confident/ responsible solely for their own opponent. It will also make doc and saad into attacking weapons. The addition of saad makes the backline fast enough to allow the additional height imho.
His intercept marking will be a welcome addition to his teammates lockdown capabilities. After weits, Jones and plowman, marchbank will be responsible for the oppo’s fourth forward..
will be good.

Stocker - need another bull in there so Ed doesn’t need to be, has great skills on both sides, will help improve the kicking into forward 50. Takes the pressure off Cripps, could be the key to playing finals.

Kemp - kid is going to be worth the wait, has great size and skills. Doesn’t need to kill it just yet, only needs to make an opponent take notice of him to stop the double teaming of the guns. Slow burn that will be a point of difference to the midfield as he matures, can also pinch hit in defence as a tall. Means Murphy never has to be bashed around at the centre bounces again.

Marchbank - has the tools to be that floating intercept marking gun, or to shut someone down. Too many have forgotten how good this guy can be because he has been around forever and not played much. Frees up Williams to the midfield and Williamson to the wing. Key to making us a more attacking unit by who he moves to other roles.

TDK - that jump and tap ... midfielders dream. Been a long time since we had two players that can ruck and forward adequately, and paired with Casboult, we don’t lose flexibility like teams that are playing pure ruck options. With two more mobile forward option playing ruck, we can afford to go with a smaller forward line as one of them will play third tall. This frees up Martin and Fisher to play more midfield minutes, making us more flexible and dangerous through the middle.

LOB - kid has speed, stamina and a beautiful left foot, everything needed to make one wing his for the next decade. Only thing holding him back is overthinking things, doesn’t appear to be playing on instinct at the top level, almost like he has been told to hang back and be the link player rather than the ball getter, sometimes gets caught doing neither. Sort that out and he frees up Walsh to go and smash things through the middle. Our kicking inside 50 has been letting us down, this kid has the ability to hit targets in impossible situations. Once the forwards learn to trust this, they will benefit enormously.

The bottom 6 in the best 22 transforms a side from ’dangerous on their day’ to a genuine contender. We have several kids ready to take the next step in their careers ... and propel us into finals. Let’s hope they are as ready for this to happen as we supporters are.

The 5 I can’t wait to see...

TDK - could tear the AFL apart.

Williams - reckon the move to the midfield WILL be successful.

Saad - will change the mentality of a number of our youngsters who will learn to take the game on.

Marchbank - luckless so far, but is a class player and a leader like Weiters

Kemp - realise the hype son.

1. TDK - Made a big statement against Nic Nat this year and wasn't afraid to use his agility to take him on around the ground. Could be, WILL BE one of our most important players in the new era.
2. Harry - Starting to mature and take it seriously. Will be the difference for us in a lot of games this year me thinks.
3. Cottrell - Bleeds Blue, and not afraid to take the game on. Love the few games I have seen, could be a heartbeat type player.
4. Corey Durdin - Look like he's hungry and driven, just what we need in front of the sticks. Might have to wait a year for him to debut though.
5. Philp - Need his supposed speed, and footskills.

1. Gov, needs to extract the digit or a size 14 should kick him to the curb. Has talent and ability in spades, 2021 is it.
2. McKay, needs to work on his short goal kicking game. Can kick 60 meters, his field kicking is excellent. Time for him to take that next step. ( I just pray the club addresses how the pill comes I50 ...)
3. Fish, needs to be Eddies permanent replacement. Loved that 4 goal game, it was a snapshot of how damaging a player he can be.
4. Willo, what's not to love about this kid, finally got his body right, weapon left leg, mongrel and aggression. I say again .... What's not to love? Winger/Mid. Kid is a goer.
5. Setters, recon he has another gear. Loved what I saw this year, really impressive after a disastrous injury plagued start to his footy career. needs to find the pill a bit more to nudge into that A grade category. I believe he defo has the scope.

There thylacine60 happy? You grumpy old dungeon master ;)

Always have trouble isolating a number of players and this year the hardest yet. Could name upwards of a dozen.

It is about the tip of the spear and very much the engine room.

1. Harry McKay. With a full pre season behind him, a more balanced team and better delivery look out. In the Coleman mix, big time.

2. Zac Williams adds a totally new dynamic. Pace and precision and knows how to best utilise it. A quick glance at GWS threads show the smarter posters
are devastated to lose him. Every bit the star some of his team mates are constantly praised as.

3. TDK. Might be half a season early for full break out, but just has abilities to take him to the top echelon of ruckmen and the desire and attitude to get there.
I am confident he will be the No. 1 for most of the season, but precluded from picking him in Supercoach as I expect him to get multiple "byes" through the season to ensure and maximise physical development.

4. Liam Stocker showed way too much in his 2019 cameos to be a failure. Signs are great pre season, skills and grunt. The bloke to push in to the midfield
and enhance the mix.

5. Brodie Kemp both the known and the unknown. We have a (highly likely) star of the competition waiting to make his mark. The unknown is where and how
he does this. Midfielder, defender, forward? Just hoping we allow him to find his niche rather than making him a Mr. Fixit.

Our team is maturing, we have brilliantly addressed some short comings and enhanced the team dynamic. I salivate at adding a Kouta type (Kemp) to an
already potent list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back