Toast Take a bow Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

billy ray that’s the same face I pull when you guys get absolutely everything and will continue to do so until you win a flag because the afl want new customers to get a return on investment.
The anchors played our first final in Our 9th season and didn’t win a final to our 12th all we got was a priority pick for being sh*t like the 15 other clubs we were competing against.
It’s a disgrace.
AFL is just a typical big business that rolls out the Red carpet for new customers but doesn’t give a sh*t about loyal Fans that pay the dollars with no success.
Over 50,000 members
Not 1 bandwangoner!
We have one priority pick in our team. One

We have one priority pick in our team. One
Pick 2 Pick 20 and you traded the pick 11 in the 2020 draft you were given?
extra rookie spots, exclusive access(Presign) darwin kids Plus your other expanded zones so there’s no bidding.
there’s also 2 more top 20 picks for 2020/2021 but I won’t count them as I hope the afl come to their senses before then.

Last edited:

Freo blew their chances to be a dominant club. Should have been a destination for go-home talent, heaps of members for home crowd advantage, money for top facilities.

What happened, Freo?

I am sure it wasn't Gold Coast's plan as they were not expecting to be so much better this year but in hindsight offloading a lot of this years picks last year was a very smart move as it means Gold Coast have already spent them, and the AFL can't very well take away what they have already spent.
No reason not to just strip them of this years first round pick if they make finals. They still have early access to academies and a bigger list. They refused to take any picks for Jack Martin so clearly they don't value them.

Similar to when the AFL decided to give Sydney a much deserved slap when they used the last of the COLA money on signing 2 superstar forwards instead of retaining their own players who were paying to live in Sydney.

Sometimes you got to send a message to the rest of the comp that even though you've desperately tried to prop up northern clubs with advantages it has to be done in good faith.

they were brilliant tonight, looked much fitter than the Doggies and ran all over them late in halves
Yeah, they were very good. Little things they will clean up, but can't fault their effort at all. Such a different team this year, it's like 2 years has passed. Keep playing like that and more wins will come.

Good on them. Wouldn't mind it if they won the flag this year.

The anchors played our first final in Our 9th season and didn’t win a final to our 12th
Over 50,000 members
Not 1 bandwangoner!
27% and 22% increase in Freo membership following those breakthrough seasons...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're very good to watch at the moment. I've always thought they have the potential to be a more legitimate club that GWS, in terms of having a passionate fan base. So long as they can get it together on the field.

Exciting few years coming up for the Suns and Lions. Queenslander!

Twice last night Dogs took control of the game and looked rampant, and twice Suns wrestled back control and set up their defensive wall and did everything except score goals.

Suns coaching has clearly hit the mark this year, they are well organised, controlled, and still attacking. It is very attractive footy they are playing and I hope they keep improving, and this year anything can happen.

They really do have some dangerous small forwards, and when Ben King gets a couple more pre-seasons under his belt they will really trouble sides.

Lukocius may even end up forward too.

Dew's strategy of having Witts sit on English all night negated any influence English could have around the ground. Brilliant move

I know they will likely hit a cliff at some point in the season as most teams with a lot of young players do but even so I am amazed at how quickly Gold Coast have turned things around in between round 23 of 2019 and round 2 of 2020. I don't think anyone was expecting Gold Coast to be one of the must watch teams of 2020.
2021 will give a better indication of where we’re really at IMO, if things return to normal with fixturing and length of games... and we get The Red Bull back on the park. Can’t help but feel the shorter games this year have given us an advantage. Previous years we get blown away in red time every quarter. We definitely have an exciting bunch of talent and play attractive footy though.

A lot cheaper to buy a Suns 3 game membership than an interstate one for a vic club that gets you obe game. So thinking of getting one myself to watch yhe Saints. Have a feeling a few are in this boat. Regardless - great to see them playing good footy. A real prospect if they can keep their group together.

I've moved up from Sydney to Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast in April. There is definitely more potential for a strong passionate following supporter base here than in Western Sydney. There is much more of a local and community feel in the Gold Coast and no matter where your living Metricon is only 25 minute drive away. It felt like such a journey to get out to Spotless (I was in Bondi).

Also around town there is such a buzz about the Suns, people are talking about them. The Gold Coast Bulletin is writing articles and the local news is starting to follow them. Be interesting to see that membership base develop over the coming years.

Another thing to note is there is quite a local league here. It is easy to join a local club.

Why? They are just an insipid AFL franchise being propped up by AFL handouts, both financial and top draft picks.

There are clubs who have been around for decades in a state with 10 teams who are being propped up by AFL handouts.
Not to mention clubs who receive favourable treatment some clubs receive from the AFL (primetime slots, fawning national media coverage etc)
So why shouldn't a new club reaching a new city in the league with a new market receive support?!

Freo blew their chances to be a dominant club. Should have been a destination for go-home talent, heaps of members for home crowd advantage, money for top facilities.

What happened, Freo?

They ARE a destination for talent (Lobbe, Hill, Hogan, McCarthy etc).
They DO have heaps of members.
And they DO have top facilities.

And they still underachieve..

Pick 2 Pick 20 and you traded the pick 11 in the 2020 draft you were given?
extra rookie spots, exclusive access(Presign) darwin kids Plus your other expanded zones so there’s no bidding.
there’s also 2 more top 20 picks for 2020/2021 but I won’t count them as I hope the afl come to their senses before then.
Let's not forget the first lot of huge concessions they had when they were created that they proceeded to burn and turn into nothing through sheer and utter incompetence.

Their reward for their abysmal failure with all the handouts they were given was to be given even more handouts. Thing is with GC, this will keep happening until they're competitive. They're an extension of the AFL business rather than an independently run and managed club. They don't exist within the same competition playing by the same rules as everyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back