Club History Take the 4 point penalty. Then Win 3 flags

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not a legal issue- the AFL could decide tomorrow that we can wear the PB never, twice a year, all home games or every game and there is nothing anyone could do about it.
I'm not so sure of this.

There is precedent for courts getting involved in these types of things if the rules/decisions are discriminatory or deny natural justice, etc.

This is not a legal issue-

This is not a Collingwood issue
-

This is a respect issue- this is only about one issue and one issue alone- the AFL‘s lack of respect for our heritage and how important this jumper is to that. AFL House either does not know or does not care about the depth of feeling this jumper has engendered in true Port Adelaide people. If AFL House knew, if AFL house cared, its stance would be different.

The AFL has chosen to accept the baseless concerns of a small minority of Collingwood people who wrongly assert that us wearing our guernsey has any effect on them, over the deep held wishes of the vast majority of the Port faithful. This is not an independent decision by an independent parent organisation. This is nepotistic favouritism by a biased organisation that favours one of its supposedly equal children over the other.

This is purely and simply a matter of disrespect of our heritage by McLachlan and his Carbine Club mates.

Agree. Personally wouldn't be against the club refusing to do any media with Eddie involved.

Should also have space on our sponsors board at all official media protesting our rights to respect our history.

I support the 4 point penalty. If ever the club makes a statement like this with the full support of its supporter base, it will be an instant legendary act of the club, a worldwide sports media story, and then the subsequent world media interviews explaining how ludicrous the decision is. No one impartial could possibly ever side with Collingwood and the AFL’s logic on this.

And if it hasn’t been said already, the other reason I support it happening is directly related to the Prison Bar guernsey and its meaning to us.

Starting with a direct quote.
"In the event of the Umpire Committee of the South Australian Football Association insisting on Mr. Kneebone being appointed to umpire the match between Port Adelaide and South Adelaide, it is the intention of the Club to forfeit the match to the South Adelaide Club."
— (Signed) H. Howell, Chairman, and J. Sweeney, Secretary.[27]

In 1902, the VERY FIRST year of the PB guernsey, Port Adelaide finished the minor round on top, a game clear of second, when the issue of a suspiciously biased umpire being appointed to the first final. Port Adelaide stood its ground against the SAFA, forfeited the match, and its chance for a premiership when they were denied any further involvement that year. Port Adelaide then went on the first of many premierships the following year, and the next decade included, amongst many accomplishments, 3 Champions of Australia titles and an undefeated year in 1914.

As we did in its first year, time to stand firm again. Lot more at stake ($$$$ and sponsors of course) so don’t expect to forfeit a final again, but 4 match points? Bring it on.

And if that fight achieves nothing other than pissing off the VFL what do you think the fallout would be?
If you were a young guy on the list would you be content knowing that your chances of realising the dream is deminished, its already tough enough.
If you were a Travis Boak or Ollie Wines would you be happy having committed to a club thats then sabotaged your future and if you were the next generation would you be keen to come over seeing how those before you have been shafted.
C'mon, i get the fight, but you have to pick your opponant and battleground wisely as some fights can be had, the outcome uncertain, but the war still rages long after.

You keep strengthening the case to go out and wear the jumper.

For opposite of the reasons you perpetuate

Lets not be silly about this. It is the colours, it always has been about the colours - Black & white. St Kilda's jumper is clear evidence that they dont care about bars & stripes, as long as they are not purely Black & White.

Blue and White - Carlton ("the Blues")
Blue and White - Geelong
Blue and White - North Melbourne.
Black and White - Collingwood

Collingwood own Black. Nor white.

They share the black with about 5 other clubs

But apparently, according to Eddie and the AFL, the PAFC are not allowed to have black and white.

Interesting

We need to swap out the teal chevron with grey on our home strip IMO!

I actually like the teal and absolutely identify it as Port Adelaide and in no way want to fully abandon it completely... could someone please mock up a home BiB guernsey with a grey chevron please?
Maybe add a very thin teal line between the white and grey chevron.

My position hasnt changed. We should be wanting to wear it when we want vs real clubs.

I dont see why we want to wear a historic jumper against a team with no history. Adelaide havent earned the right to be the team to play in these games.

If we are gonna drop 4 points wearing it one day, do it against Melbourne, or Geelong, or some other real football club.

My position hasnt changed. We should be wanting to wear it when we want vs real clubs.

I dont see why we want to wear a historic jumper against a team with no history. Adelaide havent earned the right to be the team to play in these games.

If we are gonna drop 4 points wearing it one day, do it against Melbourne, or Geelong, or some other real football club.

It was the club's ploy to ask for showdowns only to get the afl to come to the party on that 2007 agreement but it's crashed. Gill's interpretation of it is that it's been "updated" by the 2019 agreement of wearing it only for one game in 2020, and now if we want to wear it again we have to find a new agreement with Collingwood. We keep getting screwed.

To be frank, the best reason why we should be wearing the PB in any game is because it is our chosen jumper from way back in 1902.

In 2019 we requested to wear it in both showdowns every year. The AFL expected us to sign an agreement to never request to wear it again. We said no and so they gave us one game. The point is, the AFL and Eddie know our ploy, that being the club is using the showdowns to get its foot in the door to wear it regularly in the AFL.

I'm like you, I want us wearing it against other clubs, especially ANZAC round but given what the AFL/Eddie have colluded with the 2007 agreement, we're likely to lose the ANZAC round home game if we signed an agreement to wear it at all ANZAC round home games.

******* arseholes. I don't how we are going to 'win' any regular game when we're fighting with gorillas. I bet it will be 5 more years before we are allowed to wear it again.

Edit: Eddie lives by these agreements but did we actually sign any written agreements to wear the jumper in 2013 and 2014? doesn't sound like it when Gill says the 2007 agreement is updated by the 2019 agreement. Why the hell do signed written agreements need to happen anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the club's ploy to ask for showdowns only to get the afl to come to the party on that 2007 agreement but it's crashed. Gill's interpretation of it is that it's been "updated" by the 2019 agreement of wearing it only for one game in 2020, and now if we want to wear it again we have to find a new agreement with Collingwood. We keep getting screwed.

To be frank, the best reason why we should be wearing the PB in any game is because it is our chosen jumper from way back in 1902.

In 2019 we requested to wear it in both showdowns every year. The AFL expected us to sign an agreement to never request to wear it again. We said no and so they gave us one game. The point is, the AFL and Eddie know our ploy, that being the club is using the showdowns to get its foot in the door to wear it regularly in the AFL.

I'm like you, I want us wearing it against other clubs, especially ANZAC round but given what the AFL/Eddie have colluded with the 2007 agreement, we're likely to lose the ANZAC round home game if we signed an agreement to wear it at all ANZAC round home games.

******* arseholes. I don't how we are going to 'win' any regular game when we're fighting with gorillas. I bet it will be 5 more years before we are allowed to wear it again.

Yep.

For me this the time to go very hard and very public on why a club with an acknowledged racism issue is allowed to continue without any penalty, why they are allowed to play a player with active sexual assault charges, and most importantly why they dont have to have an away jumper. Make a statement on it weekly.

Yep, PAFC should be able to wear a PAFC jumper. It is not the business of any other club and the AFL's job should simply be to lay down some proper rules to deal with jumper clashes when clubs play each other.

This nonsense about there needing to be "agreements" between Port and Collingwood is just a cover for the AFL failing to take responsibility and do its job properly.

How can the wins be on merit if you are saying they manipulate outcomes like this?
They can't be. Either the AFL control who wins and therefore its pointless, or they don't and there's nothing to fear.
I said the other day, AFL is just behind the WWE for authenticity if you ask
Me

I said the other day, AFL is just behind the WWE for authenticity if you ask
Me
They aren’t helping with the fixtures etc.
Not quite there yet, but getting there.
I do wonder what my tipping point will be.

They aren’t helping with the fixtures etc.
Not quite there yet, but getting there.
I do wonder what my tipping point will be.

biased umpiring
Skewed fixtures
Unbalanced TV exposure
Moving goal posts of rules
It goes on and on

biased umpiring
Skewed fixtures
Unbalanced TV exposure
Moving goal posts of rules
It goes on and on
Yup. Still within my tolerance level for now. More because I’m so emotionally invested in Port than anything else.

Yup. Still within my tolerance level for now. More because I’m so emotionally invested in Port than anything else.

yep. I just hope it gets exposed. Umps must sign iron clad confidentiality agreements

I know it is not popular, but IMO we should add a colour to the "Bars" as the pure black & white stripes are the only reason that we have been refused. It will still play homage to our history, the Bars, and all it stands for, while still embracing the Power in the AFL.

The reality is that if we dont acquiesce to some degree, we could lose them forever.

I think if we bastardise our PB guernsey, that’s it, it’s never coming back

Anyone still contemplating this after tonight's showing? We're gonna need all the points we can get ...
Or realise we aren't winning a flag with Hinkley as coach anyway, so it's moot if we lose points for a flag shot in 2021, but will galvanise support behind us for wearing the PB's.

Or realise we aren't winning a flag with Hinkley as coach anyway, so it's moot if we lose points for a flag shot in 2021, but will galvanise support behind us for wearing the PB's.
And just as likely prevent us from ever hosting an Anzac Night ever again. It's for that reason alone I wouldn't do it.

I do get the sentiment, but not when the AFL will take away our biggest request each year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back