List Mgmt. Taking Risks in 2016 National/Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I really think this is 1st time for awhile we took a Few Risks on Raw Players.

The ones I talk about are:

• Kirby
  • McCarthy
  • Lynch
Kirby has ton of Natural Talent but question mark on his Fitness and Commitment. He could come a Gun Small Mid/Forward but could not live up to Expectations.

McCarthy is a Very Raw Kid with Amazing Athleticism. He to me is the Biggest Boom or Bust Pick. He could come a Very Good AFL Player or could be De-Listed in a Year. Playing only a Handful Games means he really needs to get his Feel for the Game and That could take a Year or 2.

Lynch is not really Risky as pretty much 4th Round(Pick 51) in the Rookie Draft. Seems to Move Well around the Ground and Good Tap Work. But only played 2 years of Footy so still long way to go.

Do you like the Club taking a Punt on a Few Kids with High End Upside?

I don't mind it and Espically in the Rookie Draft

• Kirby
  • McCarthy
  • Lynch
Kirby has ton of Natural Talent but question mark on his Fitness and Commitment. He could come a Gun Small Mid/Forward but could not live up to Expectations.

McCarthy is a Very Raw Kid with Amazing Athleticism. He to me is the Biggest Boom or Bust Pick. He could come a Very Good AFL Player or could be De-Listed in a Year. Playing only a Handful Games means he really needs to get his Feel for the Game and That could take a Year or 2.

Lynch is not really Risky as pretty much 4th Round(Pick 51) in the Rookie Draft. Seems to Move Well around the Ground and Good Tap Work. But only played 2 years of Footy so still long way to go.

I agree TD, it's exciting to see the club take a punt on some potentially talented players. We really have to strike gold if we are going to be competitive against the expansion clubs in the years to come.

I like it. I just hope we have the right senior coach that can manage them and not push them away.
That didn't take long.

I think we went for players with significant room for development, but we didn't risk much. Still a good strategy.

• Kirby
  • McCarthy
  • Lynch

Considering we had pretty s**t picks we didn't have much other choice.

We need to be realistic in that most of the kids (Kirby Daicos and all the rookies) won't make it but hopefully we get 2 long term solid players from it.

Happy with the strategy so far. With respect to last year's guys, we dont have a Golds or a Wyatt (unless several of our newbies have no idea about footy). We also dont have the empty seats of Keeffe and Thomas.

So we have a big contigent of new guys who will play footy regularly - we hope - at least in the twos. Cant wait to see them.

Considering we had pretty s**t picks we didn't have much other choice.

We need to be realistic in that most of the kids (Kirby Daicos and all the rookies) won't make it but hopefully we get 2 long term solid players from it.
You don't think Daicos will make it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is great. They all have shown glimpses and if they can show consistency we will be in for a lot of fun. The VFL will become the battle ground for AFL selection and not the naughty corner / recovery ward for the seniors.

I think it is great. They all have shown glimpses and if they can show consistency we will be in for a lot of fun. The VFL will become the battle ground for AFL selection and not the naughty corner / recovery ward for the seniors.

VFL could be Fun to Watch in 2017 with these Boys

VFL could be Fun to Watch in 2017 with these Boys
Should be. Sorry to say but to see whether players still have 'it' or are just as crap in the VFL as they were in the AFL, didn't do it for me last year.

Hine used the term "futures market" with a couple of the guys from the national draft. I guess that's a polite way of saying taking a risk.
With no first round pick and not having a finals ready list that's really the only market we are in. We have to hope we get future top end talent requiring development. That's actually where I think Hine's talent lies so I am not unhappy in the circumstances with that approach.

How often do fourth rounders become 100 game players? Far less than 50% i'm guessing.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/06/24/the-afls-top-ten-late-draft-picks-2006-2015/

And for purely Collingwood reasons
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-21/your-clubs-best-recent-draft-steals-and-worst-misses
COLLINGWOOD
Seven Magpies who began their AFL careers on the rookie list played in the 2010 AFL premiership, testament to the club's remarkable development of late picks over the years. Dane Swan, Ben Johnson and Tyson Goldsack were also selected past pick No.50 so it's not a surprise Collingwood has several candidates as late draft finds. Marley Williams (rookie list 2012) is the pick of the recent draft steals in a list that includes Jarryd Blair (rookie list 2009), Ben Sinclair (pick 62, 2009), Paul Seedsman (pick 76, 2010), Jack Frost (rookie list 2013) and Sam Dwyer (rookie list 2013).

Every Player we take on board has an element of risk, as you move away from the pointy end of the draft the risk on investment gets higher and he the skill is seeing the potential and where we need to focus. Freeman was a risk at pick 10 and we blew that, no blame but as a Club we came up short, Shaz has lost a lot of football and let's hope he reaches his peak but we are behind right now.

I like the players we have taken all have potential but as Kappa mentioned many won't make it, the numbers don't stack up, there just aren't enough spots on the list. It is nice when they do, especially when you can pull a premiership Captain from the Rookie or a Brownlow medalist from a 50+ pick. Right now there is hope in all these draftees, welcome to Collingwood.

I thought Josh Smith was a bit of a nothing pick, thought he had a very admirable first year and he should get better IMHO, some pull it off some don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back