Analysis Tale of the tape for your AFL team in 2019: Richmond

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
there is absolutely nothing to suggest we wont continue to play three small fwds.
Whenever this option has been viable we have gone with it.
Now more than ever with the addition of the 199cm Lynch to partner JR, the fact Caddy who is a tad on the slow side,and has become virtually a full time medium FWD then we will almost certainly play the three quick smalls in Butler, Castagna, and Rioli. Imo the one who will be putting pressure on to replace one of these players is Bolton

Imo Higgins, Graham will spend much more or most of their time in the midfield. Just like Lambert and Edwards do.

I really can not see the coaches going with anything other than the following in the fwd line.

Castagna - Lynch - Caddy
Butler - Riewoldt - Rioli

Some other options may be
If one of Rioli or Butler are being groomed for a mid role then Bolton will come into the team as the third Small.
They play Moore as a third tall in Caddy,s spot allowing Caddy to play more as a mid.
They only play 2 sml fwds Rotating players like Edwards, Higgins, Graham and Lambert through there.

Personally i think they stick with what they have done the last two season.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
there is absolutely nothing to suggest we wont continue to play three small fwds.
Now more than ever with the addition of the 199cm Lynch to partner JR, the fact Caddy who is a tad on the slow side,and has become virtually a full time medium FWD then we will almost certainly play the three quick smalls in Butler, Castagna, and Rioli. Imo the one who will be putting pressure on to replace one of these players is Bolton

Imo Higgins, Graham will spend much more or most of their time in the midfield. Just like Lambert and Edwards do.

I really can not see the coaches going with anything other than the following in the fwd line.

Castagna - Lynch - Caddy

If one of Rioli or Butler are being groomed for a mid role then Bolton will come into the team as the third Small.
They play Moore as a third tall in Caddy,s spot allowing Caddy to play more as a mid.
They only play 2 sml fwds Rotating players like Edwards, Higgins, Graham and Lambert through there.

I think Rioli is more likely to go into the midfield than Higgins.The question is the 2nd ruck.I wouldn't be surprised if Grigg's position is under pressure with Lynch taking some ruck duties.

Castagna - Lynch - Caddy

Yeah its not so much playing 3 small forwards, it was going with only one key tall most of the time.

More of the same but very very different with Lynch there.

I think Rioli is more likely to go into the midfield than Higgins.The question is the 2nd ruck.I wouldn't be surprised if Grigg's position is under pressure with Lynch taking some ruck duties.

Higgins was playing midfield last season though and given the way he has bulked up more time there looks likely. I think Dan will get bursts in the midfield but he is at his most damaging forward of centre and I'd hate to remove one of our really big strengths if others can do the job in the middle.

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't know about you, but i get erect looking at that 22. Agree Butler fully fit trumps George. I can see Caddy having another blinder as the third marking option this year.

Reasonable write up. Identified what most of us see as the big weakness:

"Ruck depth is definitely one area where Richmond got badly exposed on preliminary final night as Brodie Grundy ran amok against Toby Nankervis and Shaun Grigg. But interestingly, the Tigers didn’t go out and bolster that department in the off-season. "

No solution offered, though.

I can't see Lynch doing much rucking. Coming off a PCL, "big fish" free agent - probably seen as too valuable to risk. Although I bloody wish they would give playing Soldo and Nank together a proper crack against Grundy, Gawn, NicNat etc, I can't see the selectors going that way.

Looking forward to seeing a few creative things tried in the pre-season.

"Ruck depth is definitely one area where Richmond got badly exposed on preliminary final night as Brodie Grundy ran amok against Toby Nankervis and Shaun Grigg. But interestingly, the Tigers didn’t go out and bolster that department in the off-season. "

I can't see Lynch doing much rucking. Coming off a PCL, "big fish" free agent - probably seen as too valuable to risk. Although I bloody wish they would give playing Soldo and Nank together a proper crack against Grundy, Gawn, NicNat etc, I can't see the selectors going that way.

I agree it might be a bit crazy to throw Lynch into the ruck early on given his injury. Hard part is working out who to leave out if we bring in a second ruck? Do we go from too small to too tall and slow by doing it? I love Grigg and he runs all day. Would hate to see him go but who else is there?

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers

Soldo plays well enough to deserve a few more games in the seniors. Or, Let JR continue to do some rucking in fwd half. Lynch should be able to contest throw ins or ball ups in the fwd half.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Caddy as the third tall (medium size really) is a lock surely. Higgins is pretty much a full time midfielder now, is he not?
I'd rather keep Rioli close to goal as possible. I reckon Higgins earnt himself a midfield spot. If Graham is late starting then there is a spot for someone else to get a game .

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC

West Coast showed you can play two rucks along with two key forwards.

All we need now is the second ruck. Hopefully Soldo will get a few games unless someone else comes through. Balta or CCJ perhaps?

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I agree it might be a bit crazy to throw Lynch into the ruck early on given his injury. Hard part is working out who to leave out if we bring in a second ruck? Do we go from too small to too tall and slow by doing it? I love Grigg and he runs all day. Would hate to see him go but who else is there?
The invisible man. Initials KM. Would be out of my side ahead of Grigg

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I'd rather keep Rioli close to goal as possible. I reckon Higgins earnt himself a midfield spot. If Graham is late starting then there is a spot for someone else to get a game .
Agree with Rioli and Higgins. Rioli will get the occasional run on a wing I reckon, but Higgins is a pure onballer.*

*That's an old campaigner's word for a midfielder, for all you youngsters.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
West Coast showed you can play two rucks along with two key forwards.

All we need now is the second ruck. Hopefully Soldo will get a few games unless someone else comes through. Balta or CCJ perhaps?
Balta is a tall mobile player. He isn't real ruck depth. CCJ obviously is but is he a bit raw? Soldo has been around for a while and is developing a bit of campaigner Bout himself. WHich is good!!

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Balta is a tall mobile player. He isn't real ruck depth. CCJ obviously is but is he a bit raw? Soldo has been around for a while and is developing a bit of campaigner Bout himself. WHich is good!!
You can never have too many types with a bit of campaigner about themselves.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Higgins was playing midfield last season though and given the way he has bulked up more time there looks likely. I think Dan will get bursts in the midfield but he is at his most damaging forward of centre and I'd hate to remove one of our really big strengths if others can do the job in the middle.
Dan is beginning to put some size on which will help him in midfield , agree Higgins will get all of the time conca had and , Rioli now a PT midfielder

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Here is mine.

Nick Vlastuin, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes
Jack Graham, Alex Rance, Jayden Short
Oleg Marcov, Dion Prestia, Daniel Rioli
Kane Lambert, Jacob Riewoldt, Shane Edwards
Josh Caddy, Tom Lynch, Dan Butler
Toby Nankervis, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin

Inter: Jack Higgins, Jason Castagna, Callum Coleman-Jones, Nathan Broad
Emerg:Brandon Ellis, Kamdyn McIntosh, Shaun Grigg, Ryan Garthwaite.

Unlucky: Noah Balta, Bachar Houli

Graham comes in as that hard defensive mid that takes Concas position. Loves to tackle and take the mid that goes forward but also allows him to get possessions of his own. Could also see him trialled as a designated tagger which I think we need but may blunt his offensive output, which he needs to add to his game.

Marcov onto the wing taking Griggs spot. He provides more run and the ruck rule changes don’t help Grigg.

[Prestia into the middle if he gets through a full pre-season. Get his body right and he’s a gun in and under.

Rioli onto the wing as he’s built his endurance. This moves Edwards to a high half forward who pushes into the middle to affect the 50/50 ball but also allows him to move forward to impact on the scoreboard. Lambert the other hard running high half forward, his best position.

Jack moves to CHF and runs the ground as the designated out kick on one side of the ground (Nank or CCJ on the other). He’ll rotate with Lynch at times no doubt.

Caddy plays 80% forward taking advantage of playing third fiddle. Expect another 40 goal season.

Lynch plays deep forward while he regains he’s fitness and probably his optimal position, inside 50.

Butler into the 18 over George due to his cleaness and ability to run the ground.

Interchange: Snags plays the Lambert role, but he looks to have billed up so perhaps eventually gunning for more of a core mid role. George comes on and impacts from inside 50. CCJ relieves Nank and also rests forward if Jack pushes up. Broadt provides cover for Rance, Ast, Grimes, and even can push onto the wing of required, taking KMacs big bodied running role- good versatility.

Back