Autopsy Tale of two halves vs. Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Second qrt. Freo have kicked 2 in a row to mitigate our great qrt. We have the lead, let’s just get to half time and slow things down. Tucker takes a mark on the half back flank, and instead of slowing things down he plays on, gets caught holding the ball and freo kick a long shot that was touched on the line (after a score review).

From what I recall the umpire suddenly ruled this as not 15m and Tucker panicked. Can't remember who kicked it to him but I think they had other options. Tucker really should have kept a level head and disposed of it though, or fanned out further away in the first place. Senior players lost us the game.

Last edited:
Excellent write-up the big lebowski

So interesting to read how the wheels fell off there. Xerri needed to control Jackson more and the inexperience of our youth was unfortunately glaring.

Ok.

Deep dive into 3rd qtr done. That was both revealing and surprising.

I may have missed stuff, but I was pretty forensic. There is some editorialising but I've tried to keep that to a minimum. Opinions are given throughout though.

Ill give Big ticks and little ticks where appropriate, and big crosses and little crosses where appropriate.

CBA 1

X, LDU, Powell, GW

X wins down to ldu for clearance inside 50. poor kick.

Aish beats Simpkin, wins footy but dangerous entering kick is broken up by GW, Powell collects hands to fisher for 2nd inside 50, crap kick intercepted by freo. 2nd crap inside 50 within 30 seconds. Both kicks feel short, both times forwards (Simpkin then lackey) ran to wrong spots.

Little cross ldu, Simpkin, fisher, Dusrma, larkey (none could elevate their game to get us a shot on goal from 3 inside 50s)

Corr nice fist on wing, tucker nice kick to Duursma outside 50. he turns it over. 3rd inside 50 in first minute undone by poor kick/poorly positioned forwards.

over the next minute, after the doors intercepted kick, freo spend 1 minute with short kicks up and across the ground. Space for the kicks seems to get bigger and less pressure the closer they get to the forward 50.

Big cross on team defence here - everyone gets a cross

Long kick inside 50 (first one) Dawson stands underneath, tries to mark, and soft drops it at his feet. Better option is to punch

little cross Dawson

Little tick Xerri pushed back hard to contest

Ball up inside freo 50. X wins down to GW, Jackson gives away freeform too high. GW kicks 39 meters away to a contest. GW follows up and tucker impresses desperation wise. but ultimately GW turns it over with missed handball to LDU.

From turnover, Ryan kicks long inside 50, pink vs Tavener, but Xerri comes over top, kills ball, pink tackles. ball up.

Xwins decisively down to GW,quick hands to Powell, to ldu who slips and get hit hard and high - free kick.

LDU switches, to fisher who plays on blindly, hands to Dawson, hands to pinks feet, he fumbles, and misses hands to Dawson, turnover, lucky strong misses.

Big cross - fisher, Dawson, pink so I'm giving them all a big cross, because this was josh walker type s**t. Fisher just played on without even looking what was around, Dawson should have hit the handball to pink, but even if he did pink was under the pump. Not a good attempt at an exit.

Serongs miss was the first score of the qrt at 16:11 left on the clock.

Sheez kicks in, we move the ball to the wing, and its out of bounds.

clearance numbers are on screen, we are up 25-14, thus far we are still dominating clearances.

X wins the throw in down, but switkowski for freo attacks footy moving it forward. repeat ball up, x wins down easily but young sharks hack kicks inside 50, ball bobbles around on the ground, but switkowski wins it, kicks into centre but its down filed as X brushed him as he kicked it.

Big cross X - it was the softest of frees, but why risk bumping a guy after he's disposed of the ball.

Tabener misses the lot, Pink nice contested mark

Little tick pink

Pink hands off aggressively to fisher, amazing kick to Duursma on the lead.

We switch, corr to pink. Pink has Dawson open but lets to kick longer to a leading Stephens. Poor option, as Stephens has no aerial presence and it was a contest given the length of kick. Should have gone short to Dawson. Pink take the easy option mate, you're not in the team to hit leading players coming out of 50. This decision leads to the ball being turned over.

Little cross pink

we are now at 14:43 left on clock and the only score for the qrt was freo with 1 point.

Lazz some good pressure on Fyfe nearly turns footy over. freo switch to other side, then go long. corr good fist on Treacy. tucker good roving to fisher with an amazing kick to Duursma in centre. durs goes long to chf, zuhhar only one to fly, ccj stands still, and lackey is looking to get out the back. ball up inside 50.

Lackey vs Jackson at ball up. Jackson wins first hit out of qrt (13:57 on clock) decisively down to young who clears.

But long clearance marked by fisher - good positioning and dive for mark.

little tick fisher

short to Wardlaw who kicks long inside 50. Again, only zuhaar jumps. CCJ again doesnt get off ground, and lackey is 10m infront of drop zone of ball. LDU roves but gets caught holding the ball. that's 6 inside 50's for no score this qrt.

gaps everywhere. Fyfe takes the fee kick pretty much like a kick out from behind. he kicks into the centre for an easy mark, then freo chip along the wing, bring back into chf, then out again to Walters for an easy hit up inside 50. coast to coast. no risk, easy marks all the way along. I watched this from 2 angels many times to work out who was to blame.

ultimately I think its a big cross to corr, and little crosses to sheez, fisher, and kerch

Absolute pox team defence and everyone is to blame, but those guys especially and corr made a really bad decision that let his man be free at chf for the easy mark and kick to Walters.

coast to coast goal and alarm bells should be ringing despite being 2 goals up still.

CBA 2

X wins it down but nice follow up from Jackson see 2 bandpasses, the second of which looks like a throw, and freo clear inside 50.

The long kick is marked by atbener who point blank beats pink.

Big cross pink

CBA 3

X gets bad bounce straight to Jackson. Instead of letting him get the tap, X cannons into him giving away a stupid free.

Big cross Xerri

After some sort kicks, freo go long inside 50. Jackson marks over pink. Now this was 100% Xerri fault. It was one of the dumbest things I've seen a player do given the situation. Xerri follows Jackson down to the goal line, then just before the kick comes in, he leaves Jackson to get into a position he feels is better. The kick is long and good and Jackson has the sit over pink, with xerrri 10 metres away. pink asks Xerri "where the hell were you?" I ask it to.

Biggest of crosses for Xerri

Then inexplicably, lmac gives away 50. I watched it 20 times. He ran straight in like h hard something. the problem was no one around him moved. Stranger still, mark Howard calls it as "whistle before the kick" It's like JFK stuff, the whistle from the grassy knoll.

Either way, lmac stuffed up.

big cross Lmac and we've given up the lead

There's 10:15 on the clock and Jackson and Xerri are off the ground. Jackson was good but gee we gave him some help.

CBA 4

CCJ, Simpkin, LDU Powell

CCJ taps nicely down to Simpkin who hands to Powell who takes a bounce and kicks long but not to a forwards advantage inside 50. But Curtis nice rove, hands to sleeve who kicks weak left foot snap that doesn't make distance. Curtis handball the first possession inside 50 to set up a score for the qrt.

From the kick in feet again go short short short long, to the wing where amiss outmarks lmac. no key defenders insight.

Long kick inside 50, ccs is there and he and pink spoil, but ccs gets ball and blindly handballs to a freo player, scramble to amiss who gets pressure from lmac who saves a goal.

Little tick lmac

fisher takes kick in, runs off blindly, but for the third time in the qtr hits Duursma with a nice kick.

shocking option from Duursma.kicks to contest in centre for a turnover

big cross Duursma

North scramble for exactly thirty seconds to cover the turnover. The following players stand out for making good decisions or saving a shot on goal

big tick lmac, Powell, sheez, corr fisher

There is now a ball in in freos 50. And all the hard work is undone in less than n 10 seconds. Powell is on Brayshaw, fisher on Walters, and sheez on switkowski. Brayshaw runs into Walters, Powell leaves Brayshaw and follows Walters. fisher sees switkowski flashing around the stoppage, and sheez lets him go for some reason, fisher leaves waters and Powell for switkowski.

Brayshaw is all alone, and kicks a goal.

I check my heart rate its 140.

Big cross powell

Little cross sheez and fisher.
sheez might be Lucky with only a little cross here. There was also a slight fumble from ldu who had a chance to get the ball before Brayshaw.

CBA 5

X, GW, Simpkin and Powell (who is on Brayshaw)

nil all draw in ruck but Bradshaw swoops in, while Powell is left guarding space,

little cross Powell

the inside 50 is a hack kick but Fredricks burns off sheez to run into a goal but hits the post

big cross sheezel as he was flat out beaten

we kick out and sheez gets it, and turn sit straight over to brayshaw

big cross sheezel

The long kick inside 50 is Fredricks vs kerch, and Fredricks beats him easily in the air and goals

big cross mckercher

CBA 6

X wins 2 tap puts but ball bobbles and comes out to Jackson. Jackson vs sheezel and again sheez gets beaten, Jackson wins the ball at ground level and freo get a shot at goal that is saved well by corr.

big cross sheezel
bg tick corr

Scott takes kick in, to lmac to wing, we win contest out ground level but get called back with no apparent advantage. Curtis long kick inside 50, zuhaar caught behind, and gives away a free in frustration

little cross zuhaar

freo kick to wing but good Scott pressure forces it out

little tick Scott

X soars threw air to beat Jackson to tap, but hits it straight into Simpkin, ball rebounds to Jackson, who hands to serong,

corr drops hard inside 50 mark, could have punched, scramble at ground level sees Dawson save a goal through desperation

little cross corr
big tick Dawson

Scott kicks in again, again Duursma marks, kick to wing but no mark. Curtis gives away stupid free in frustration.

little cross Curtis

X outmarks Jackson on long inside 50

big tick X

switch gets made to mckercher, poetry in motion as he gives along hb and kicks long to sleeve on the run

big tick mckercher

sleeves kick isn't bad, but its to jy, who can't mark and gives away a free for too high

small cross jy

ball transitioned up wing, long kick to treacy who is by himself. he marks and kicks long into 50. Again Xerri is there with Jackson, again, Xerri leaves Jackson. you kind of have to see it. but Xerri invites a wrestle with Canfield, leaving Jackson 3 metres back on his own, ready to jump over them for a speccy, Dawson comes in late and spoils towards the boundary.

alas, it doesn't get there as again Fredricks leads sheet to the ball, sheez tackles him and reduces drops the ball into the path of banfield who snaps their 8th goal in a row. Dawson spoiled then stopped. Banfield didn't and that's why they kicked the goal.

big cross Dawson

CBA 7

Shocking bounce favours Jackson. taps ball, switkowski infant of sheez picks up ball and goes inside 50. corr drops another mark at the last second. Mazing smother by GW, but LDU is day dreaming too far off Fyfe who kicks their 9th goal in a row.

little cross sheez, corr and ldu
little tick gw for the smother

SUMMARY

That's how it happened.

Issue 1 - played the qrt well until the 12 minute mark or so. Had numerous good inside 50's but completely broke down up forward.

long kicks to no one or zuhaar in a pack was the order of the day.

Issue 2 - shocking qtr by sheez. really surprised me but he was pox. mckercher easily outmarked. sheez has runs on the board down back, but he can't be that lax. need another actual defender down there.

Issue 3 - for every good thing the defenders did, that saved a shot on goal, they made stupids mistakes that undid their work.often immediately after doing something good. Corr defended well but made a stupid choice on transition that cost us a goal, and dropped 2 marks when he could have punched them. Pink got done once by Tabener but also made silly decisions by foot. Dawson one s**t handball, but also the terrible non follow up of his punch that lead to the banfield goal.

Issue 4 - Maybe Xerri got ahead of himself? he didn't pay enough respect to Jackson which was odd. he dominated Jackson in tap outs, but failed to man him up twice with long kicks inside 50, one of which was a mark and goal, and he should have paid Jackson more respect at ground level after the tap. It kinda felt like Xerri didn't realise his good work from earlier was getting undone by Jackson and it was time to focus on him for awhile.

Issue 5 - team defence on transition. chip chip chip long. pretty much every time and we could shut it down. have to do better.
Top work tbl.

watch the third qrt again
He made alot of errors in the third quarter. It doesn't happen often so hopefully he learns. That Brayshaw goal Sheeze had to go to him imo. He was the only player standing on his own out the back in btg vision.

We forget its only his second game in his second season, he obviously has lots to learn but he's a smart kid so I reckon he'll get there.

Forward line is also still an issue. Lower the eyes and don't go long seeems to be what we need to take away from all this. We're not the only side with that issue but it is glaring and maybe if CCJ was capable of playing well it wouldn't be an issue to the same degree.

I watched the replay.

The missed goals hurt the momentum.

I really don’t like the over celebrations of goals in the 1st and second Q. Pat on the back, good stuff and get back to work.

The defensive zones appeared to have broken down. The gaps Heave hoes had in the first were harder to get through than in the third. Too far spaced out.

Defensive pressure was top notch in the first but was non existent in the 3rd.

It was 1 awesome quarter, 2 even’ish quarter, one mud putrid quarter which determined the result of the game. 4 quarters of footy would be good.

And geewhiz, Dylan Stephens is not playing good footy at all. He might need to be thrown back down to the scoobs.

57 to 45 inside 50's our way and 42% to 60% efficiency inside 50 their way suggests our defenders aren't doing a great job? I still feel though that its easy turnovers and poor pressure up field that is hurting our defence. The midfield got mauled in the 3rd quarter.

Also Freo kicking 100+ on us at home is really bad. Who isn't going to kick 100 points on us this year?

I just tallied it per the AFL app, and the inside 50 count that third quarter was 18 to 9. It was hardly dominating football from Fremantle. You'd expect an opposing side to deliver that kind of stretch each week, and we need to be better at handling it.

We lost composure moving forward and down back we were exposed with an undersized and under experienced backline.

Sheezel and McKercher aren't defenders, and Xerri provided very little that term pushing back. Pink, Corr, and Dawson all made mistakes. I really hope it doesn't take us too long to make the required personnel changes down back, as currently we don't defend at an AFL standard.

You play that game 10 times and I think we win it 8 times out of 10. It's frustrating not to get the win, but there are overwhelming signs of improvement.

Hottest we've been confidence-wise in a long time. At one stage in the 2nd quarter we were flying and everything we touched turned to gold, can't wait to see more of that.

Would've been interesting if we could've just got two more ahead when we had the ascendancy, we may have ended up hanging on.

For as much promise as we've shown that first win is going to be tough to come by. There's a lot of decent, capable sides going around.
Watching the replay, we controlled:

• all of the first quarter
  • all but the last 6 minutes of the second
  • the first half of the third quarter
  • the first half of the last quarter

But in that 25 minutes of the game we didn’t have the ascendancy, we were put to the sword.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the first half again yesterday, we were very good that's our benchmark we need to build on that. Three very gettable goals from Simpkin, Larkey and Duursma should have had us going into halftime 5 goals up, good teams make the most of those opportunities we're not there yet.

Walking away from the ground on Saturday I couldn't shake the feeling that we should have done better. I still feel that way but, not all improvement is linear we'll learn a lot from that game both good and bad.

Glass half full.

Disappointing that in an article about consistency, Xerri’s game on a much more highly touted opponent was omitted.

While Jackson is much more flashy and athletic, bringing down a hanger and kicking two goals, Xerri was able to pretty much nullify him for three quarters and almost beat him based on match rankings.

I'd rather we got beat from the outset than build false hope and then look like fools conceding 9 goals straight.
What a horribly depressing attitude to prefer to sit there for 4 quarters and find solace in watching your team be beaten with no hope of winning whatsoever. Is your other team the Washington Generals?

Ok.

Deep dive into 3rd qtr done. That was both revealing and surprising.

I may have missed stuff, but I was pretty forensic. There is some editorialising but I've tried to keep that to a minimum. Opinions are given throughout though.

Ill give Big ticks and little ticks where appropriate, and big crosses and little crosses where appropriate.

CBA 1

X, LDU, Powell, GW

X wins down to ldu for clearance inside 50. poor kick.

Aish beats Simpkin, wins footy but dangerous entering kick is broken up by GW, Powell collects hands to fisher for 2nd inside 50, crap kick intercepted by freo. 2nd crap inside 50 within 30 seconds. Both kicks feel short, both times forwards (Simpkin then lackey) ran to wrong spots.

Little cross ldu, Simpkin, fisher, Dusrma, larkey (none could elevate their game to get us a shot on goal from 3 inside 50s)

Corr nice fist on wing, tucker nice kick to Duursma outside 50. he turns it over. 3rd inside 50 in first minute undone by poor kick/poorly positioned forwards.

over the next minute, after the doors intercepted kick, freo spend 1 minute with short kicks up and across the ground. Space for the kicks seems to get bigger and less pressure the closer they get to the forward 50.

Big cross on team defence here - everyone gets a cross

Long kick inside 50 (first one) Dawson stands underneath, tries to mark, and soft drops it at his feet. Better option is to punch

little cross Dawson

Little tick Xerri pushed back hard to contest

Ball up inside freo 50. X wins down to GW, Jackson gives away freeform too high. GW kicks 39 meters away to a contest. GW follows up and tucker impresses desperation wise. but ultimately GW turns it over with missed handball to LDU.

From turnover, Ryan kicks long inside 50, pink vs Tavener, but Xerri comes over top, kills ball, pink tackles. ball up.

Xwins decisively down to GW,quick hands to Powell, to ldu who slips and get hit hard and high - free kick.

LDU switches, to fisher who plays on blindly, hands to Dawson, hands to pinks feet, he fumbles, and misses hands to Dawson, turnover, lucky strong misses.

Big cross - fisher, Dawson, pink so I'm giving them all a big cross, because this was josh walker type s**t. Fisher just played on without even looking what was around, Dawson should have hit the handball to pink, but even if he did pink was under the pump. Not a good attempt at an exit.

Serongs miss was the first score of the qrt at 16:11 left on the clock.

Sheez kicks in, we move the ball to the wing, and its out of bounds.

clearance numbers are on screen, we are up 25-14, thus far we are still dominating clearances.

X wins the throw in down, but switkowski for freo attacks footy moving it forward. repeat ball up, x wins down easily but young sharks hack kicks inside 50, ball bobbles around on the ground, but switkowski wins it, kicks into centre but its down filed as X brushed him as he kicked it.

Big cross X - it was the softest of frees, but why risk bumping a guy after he's disposed of the ball.

Tabener misses the lot, Pink nice contested mark

Little tick pink

Pink hands off aggressively to fisher, amazing kick to Duursma on the lead.

We switch, corr to pink. Pink has Dawson open but lets to kick longer to a leading Stephens. Poor option, as Stephens has no aerial presence and it was a contest given the length of kick. Should have gone short to Dawson. Pink take the easy option mate, you're not in the team to hit leading players coming out of 50. This decision leads to the ball being turned over.

Little cross pink

we are now at 14:43 left on clock and the only score for the qrt was freo with 1 point.

Lazz some good pressure on Fyfe nearly turns footy over. freo switch to other side, then go long. corr good fist on Treacy. tucker good roving to fisher with an amazing kick to Duursma in centre. durs goes long to chf, zuhhar only one to fly, ccj stands still, and lackey is looking to get out the back. ball up inside 50.

Lackey vs Jackson at ball up. Jackson wins first hit out of qrt (13:57 on clock) decisively down to young who clears.

But long clearance marked by fisher - good positioning and dive for mark.

little tick fisher

short to Wardlaw who kicks long inside 50. Again, only zuhaar jumps. CCJ again doesnt get off ground, and lackey is 10m infront of drop zone of ball. LDU roves but gets caught holding the ball. that's 6 inside 50's for no score this qrt.

gaps everywhere. Fyfe takes the fee kick pretty much like a kick out from behind. he kicks into the centre for an easy mark, then freo chip along the wing, bring back into chf, then out again to Walters for an easy hit up inside 50. coast to coast. no risk, easy marks all the way along. I watched this from 2 angels many times to work out who was to blame.

ultimately I think its a big cross to corr, and little crosses to sheez, fisher, and kerch

Absolute pox team defence and everyone is to blame, but those guys especially and corr made a really bad decision that let his man be free at chf for the easy mark and kick to Walters.

coast to coast goal and alarm bells should be ringing despite being 2 goals up still.

CBA 2

X wins it down but nice follow up from Jackson see 2 bandpasses, the second of which looks like a throw, and freo clear inside 50.

The long kick is marked by atbener who point blank beats pink.

Big cross pink

CBA 3

X gets bad bounce straight to Jackson. Instead of letting him get the tap, X cannons into him giving away a stupid free.

Big cross Xerri

After some sort kicks, freo go long inside 50. Jackson marks over pink. Now this was 100% Xerri fault. It was one of the dumbest things I've seen a player do given the situation. Xerri follows Jackson down to the goal line, then just before the kick comes in, he leaves Jackson to get into a position he feels is better. The kick is long and good and Jackson has the sit over pink, with xerrri 10 metres away. pink asks Xerri "where the hell were you?" I ask it to.

Biggest of crosses for Xerri

Then inexplicably, lmac gives away 50. I watched it 20 times. He ran straight in like h hard something. the problem was no one around him moved. Stranger still, mark Howard calls it as "whistle before the kick" It's like JFK stuff, the whistle from the grassy knoll.

Either way, lmac stuffed up.

big cross Lmac and we've given up the lead

There's 10:15 on the clock and Jackson and Xerri are off the ground. Jackson was good but gee we gave him some help.

CBA 4

CCJ, Simpkin, LDU Powell

CCJ taps nicely down to Simpkin who hands to Powell who takes a bounce and kicks long but not to a forwards advantage inside 50. But Curtis nice rove, hands to sleeve who kicks weak left foot snap that doesn't make distance. Curtis handball the first possession inside 50 to set up a score for the qrt.

From the kick in feet again go short short short long, to the wing where amiss outmarks lmac. no key defenders insight.

Long kick inside 50, ccs is there and he and pink spoil, but ccs gets ball and blindly handballs to a freo player, scramble to amiss who gets pressure from lmac who saves a goal.

Little tick lmac

fisher takes kick in, runs off blindly, but for the third time in the qtr hits Duursma with a nice kick.

shocking option from Duursma.kicks to contest in centre for a turnover

big cross Duursma

North scramble for exactly thirty seconds to cover the turnover. The following players stand out for making good decisions or saving a shot on goal

big tick lmac, Powell, sheez, corr fisher

There is now a ball in in freos 50. And all the hard work is undone in less than n 10 seconds. Powell is on Brayshaw, fisher on Walters, and sheez on switkowski. Brayshaw runs into Walters, Powell leaves Brayshaw and follows Walters. fisher sees switkowski flashing around the stoppage, and sheez lets him go for some reason, fisher leaves waters and Powell for switkowski.

Brayshaw is all alone, and kicks a goal.

I check my heart rate its 140.

Big cross powell

Little cross sheez and fisher.
sheez might be Lucky with only a little cross here. There was also a slight fumble from ldu who had a chance to get the ball before Brayshaw.

CBA 5

X, GW, Simpkin and Powell (who is on Brayshaw)

nil all draw in ruck but Bradshaw swoops in, while Powell is left guarding space,

little cross Powell

the inside 50 is a hack kick but Fredricks burns off sheez to run into a goal but hits the post

big cross sheezel as he was flat out beaten

we kick out and sheez gets it, and turn sit straight over to brayshaw

big cross sheezel

The long kick inside 50 is Fredricks vs kerch, and Fredricks beats him easily in the air and goals

big cross mckercher

CBA 6

X wins 2 tap puts but ball bobbles and comes out to Jackson. Jackson vs sheezel and again sheez gets beaten, Jackson wins the ball at ground level and freo get a shot at goal that is saved well by corr.

big cross sheezel
bg tick corr

Scott takes kick in, to lmac to wing, we win contest out ground level but get called back with no apparent advantage. Curtis long kick inside 50, zuhaar caught behind, and gives away a free in frustration

little cross zuhaar

freo kick to wing but good Scott pressure forces it out

little tick Scott

X soars threw air to beat Jackson to tap, but hits it straight into Simpkin, ball rebounds to Jackson, who hands to serong,

corr drops hard inside 50 mark, could have punched, scramble at ground level sees Dawson save a goal through desperation

little cross corr
big tick Dawson

Scott kicks in again, again Duursma marks, kick to wing but no mark. Curtis gives away stupid free in frustration.

little cross Curtis

X outmarks Jackson on long inside 50

big tick X

switch gets made to mckercher, poetry in motion as he gives along hb and kicks long to sleeve on the run

big tick mckercher

sleeves kick isn't bad, but its to jy, who can't mark and gives away a free for too high

small cross jy

ball transitioned up wing, long kick to treacy who is by himself. he marks and kicks long into 50. Again Xerri is there with Jackson, again, Xerri leaves Jackson. you kind of have to see it. but Xerri invites a wrestle with Canfield, leaving Jackson 3 metres back on his own, ready to jump over them for a speccy, Dawson comes in late and spoils towards the boundary.

alas, it doesn't get there as again Fredricks leads sheet to the ball, sheez tackles him and reduces drops the ball into the path of banfield who snaps their 8th goal in a row. Dawson spoiled then stopped. Banfield didn't and that's why they kicked the goal.

big cross Dawson

CBA 7

Shocking bounce favours Jackson. taps ball, switkowski infant of sheez picks up ball and goes inside 50. corr drops another mark at the last second. Mazing smother by GW, but LDU is day dreaming too far off Fyfe who kicks their 9th goal in a row.

little cross sheez, corr and ldu
little tick gw for the smother

SUMMARY

That's how it happened.

Issue 1 - played the qrt well until the 12 minute mark or so. Had numerous good inside 50's but completely broke down up forward.

long kicks to no one or zuhaar in a pack was the order of the day.

Issue 2 - shocking qtr by sheez. really surprised me but he was pox. mckercher easily outmarked. sheez has runs on the board down back, but he can't be that lax. need another actual defender down there.

Issue 3 - for every good thing the defenders did, that saved a shot on goal, they made stupids mistakes that undid their work.often immediately after doing something good. Corr defended well but made a stupid choice on transition that cost us a goal, and dropped 2 marks when he could have punched them. Pink got done once by Tabener but also made silly decisions by foot. Dawson one s**t handball, but also the terrible non follow up of his punch that lead to the banfield goal.

Issue 4 - Maybe Xerri got ahead of himself? he didn't pay enough respect to Jackson which was odd. he dominated Jackson in tap outs, but failed to man him up twice with long kicks inside 50, one of which was a mark and goal, and he should have paid Jackson more respect at ground level after the tap. It kinda felt like Xerri didn't realise his good work from earlier was getting undone by Jackson and it was time to focus on him for awhile.

Issue 5 - team defence on transition. chip chip chip long. pretty much every time and we could shut it down. have to do better.
Great work tbl, serious question, how many of those " short kicks " should have been : not 15, play on " ? seemed like quite a lot to me at the time.

From what I recall the umpire suddenly ruled this as not 15m and Tucker panicked. Can't remember who kicked it to him but I think they had other options. Tucker really should have kept a level head and disposed of it though, or fanned out further away in the first place. Senior players lost us the game.

You are correct, it wasn’t paid as 15

Watching the replay, we controlled:

• all of the first quarter
  • all but the last 6 minutes of the second
  • the first half of the third quarter
  • the first half of the last quarter

But in that 25 minutes of the game we didn’t have the ascendancy, we were put to the sword.
I feel this is a major issue. For as good as we look in patches, teams know 20 minutes of good football will break us.
Which in turn raises some questions about the validity of the good patches.
You'd like to think experience will help fix it, but it's been this way for several years now.

CCJ's lack of presence up forward makes the long 'get out of jail' kick pretty much a non-contest.

He needs to time his leap and clunk them. He's literally the biggest bloke out there and simply doesn't do enough. Xerri has worked on his deficiencies and CCJ needs to do the same otherwise just drop him and play Sellers.

Xerri and Larkey need a partner in crime. They can't do it on their own and it's hurting the team.

Happy to be corrected if i'm wrong but the tide seemed to turn when Fremantle took away our run through the middle of the ground from us and we were stuck with bombing the ball down the wings. What annoyed me was we hardly ever tried to switch the play and go out the other side of the ground to find a way through the middle that way.

Last edited:
Happy to be corrected if i'm wrong but the tide seemed to turn when Fremantle took away our run through the middle of the ground away from us and we were stuck with bombing the ball down the wings. What annoyed me was we hardly ever tried to switch the play and go out the other side of the ground to find a way through the middle that way.
Momentum swings in football. Id say all matches have periods where each team is dominant. We had dominated half the game, missed 3 easy goals, gave them two silly ones by turnover and dumb brain dead free kick (corr) and inside protected zone (lmac). We ****ed that game up and they capitalised on it.

Its a lot better than 2 years ago, as someone said, improvement isn’t linear, plus a young team will fade in and out.

What a horribly depressing attitude to prefer to sit there for 4 quarters and find solace in watching your team be beaten with no hope of winning whatsoever. Is your other team the Washington Generals?
I've calmed down now.
In hindsight what we showed in the first half was impressive and exciting.

I think I overrated how we would go this season and needed to ground myself a bit that we are still a rebuilding bottom 4 side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back