Autopsy Tale of two halves vs. Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I've calmed down now.
In hindsight what we showed in the first half was impressive and exciting.

I think I overrated how we would go this season and needed to ground myself a bit that we are still a rebuilding bottom 4 side.
Fair enough, I get it, we could have / should have one. The last 4 or 5 years have been really hard work we've played some absolutely horrible football with very little to get excited about but a half of bold attacking football is definitely something to get excited about. And whilst we can't live on great halves of footy forever it's all building towards winning games of footy which will be a genuinely exciting time for us.

CCJ's lack of presence up forward makes the long 'get out of jail' kick pretty much a non-contest.

He needs to time his leap and clunk them. He's literally the biggest bloke out there and simply doesn't do enough. Xerri has worked on his deficiencies and CCJ needs to do the same otherwise just drop him and play Sellers.

Xerri and Larkey need a partner in crime. They can't do it on their own and it's hurting the team.
Worse, it’s a guaranteed turnover. We only really have medium marking targets (Larkey included) so praying for a contested mark or a crumbed goal seems foolhardy.

To echo the above: if we nail 2 of those last 3 goals we are 7 goals up at half time and we win.

I notice this in saints preseason game: we don’t know how to win. We need to work on it, whether it’s closing out a close one or putting a team away when we’re all over them. Cos the way we play we’re obviously vulnerable to being scored on quickly.
What's with the 'river to the sea' business? I thought this was a football site not a forum to vent political views ...

Worse, it’s a guaranteed turnover. We only really have medium marking targets (Larkey included) so praying for a contested mark or a crumbed goal seems foolhardy.
Agree. Our mids can't shark every loose ball that spills from his hands.

If he can't clunk them more often than not we need to look for alternatives.

CCJ's lack of presence up forward makes the long 'get out of jail' kick pretty much a non-contest.

He needs to time his leap and clunk them. He's literally the biggest bloke out there and simply doesn't do enough. Xerri has worked on his deficiencies and CCJ needs to do the same otherwise just drop him and play Sellers.

Xerri and Larkey need a partner in crime. They can't do it on their own and it's hurting the team.

Chom?
Greenwood?

🤷‍♂️

Forward line is also still an issue. Lower the eyes and don't go long seeems to be what we need to take away from all this. We're not the only side with that issue but it is glaring and maybe if CCJ was capable of playing well it wouldn't be an issue to the same degree.
Absolutely true. Inside 50s: NM 57, Freo 46! Backline doing their bit. Mids and forwards no cohesion; no marking targets up forward apart from Larkey; and when we do get simple set shots from right in front of goal, we butcher them.

watch the third qrt again

Sheezel’s lack of concentration when defending was picked apart by Kingy on that Fox Footy weekend wrap up show last night. Caught ball watching as his man took off at stoppages, chasing kicks leaving his man open once it’s inevitably turned over etc. Posted footage with Sheez circled.

Said he obviously has some licence being the reigning BnF but he hopes he learns from his errors yesterday.

Xerri has a bright future, looks and plays a lot like Briggs but ran out of steam.

LDU is one of the only midfielders in the comp who can take on Andy Brayshaw and dance around him and make clean clearances. Brayshaw is a beast defensively, but LDU doesn’t seem phased and was responsible for smashing our midfield in the first half. He seem to run out of steam or we tagged him. I think a bit of both.

Wardlaw is a gun, just needs 20-40 more games and he won’t get his kicks smothered, knowledge to take an extra step back off the mark.

Sheezel needs to move onball eventually, like we did with Young. But might be worth waiting 1-2 seasons. Too many 20 year olds will get slaughtered around the ball.

Larkey looked injured, less mobile than usual.

You guys desperately need 1-2 elite defenders and better runners on the wings.

better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Now people have settled down maybe they can notice CCJ was alright
I am serious
He rucked couple of marks
2 yes 2 goal assists
He was not the problem down forward
yeah he was "allright " as you say as he went from -12 meters gained last week to 200 odd and was still out shone by a 2nd gamer playing on the flank. but lets not have any illusions this is pretty much his ceiling which make him the obvious prospect of where by replacement improvement will come,

Sheezel’s lack of concentration when defending was picked apart by Kingy on that Fox Footy weekend wrap up show last night. Caught ball watching as his man took off at stoppages, chasing kicks leaving his man open once it’s inevitably turned over etc. Posted footage with Sheez circled.

Said he obviously has some licence being the reigning BnF but he hopes he learns from his errors yesterday.
In the interview he did on sen sheeze says he made plenty of errors including those ones in the third quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This team has become so predictable.
Was at work and checked the scores when it was like 19-52, and let out a "Holy s**t".

My manager looked at the score and straight away said "Oh mate, I'm sorry, but you know it's not going to last".

Next time I checked we were down by 20.
🤣 Before Saturday, when was the last time we were 33 points up going into time on in Q2 at Marvel and lost.

Looks like one of them gave LDU or Powell best on ground and the other one gave them no votes
A Freo bloke on Twitter has had a massive sook over this lol

Fwiw I don't watch a lot of Freo but they have a lot of interesting players to watch.

Jackson is what they made out Nic Nat to be. Even a bit of Corey McK in his play. Xerri did nothing wrong but Jackson was showing he's going to be some player beyond the glimpses to date.

Fwiw I don't watch a lot of Freo but they have a lot of interesting players to watch.

Jackson is what they made out Nic Nat to be. Even a bit of Corey McK in his play. Xerri did nothing wrong but Jackson was showing he's going to be some player beyond the glimpses to date.
He's already turned the tide in a GF. Melbourne must be absolutely spewing

He's already turned the tide in a GF. Melbourne must be absolutely spewing
5b5b7e10ddfaaa6743098882753a2e83.gif

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Just watched the replay back again. We had a 10-15 minute period in the last quarter that we really didn't take advantage of at all. Ford missing, Curtis dribble, kicks to a contest that we couldn't equalise and get a shot on etc.

We really need a contested marking forward. That midfield can win ball most of the time but if we can't clunk them, we may as well hand it to opposition because that's where it's going anyway.

With 8 mins to go in the 2nd quarter, the inside 50s were 29 to 11. We were up by 33 as Larkey missed abnormally to the left.

That's top 4 team levels of dominance. With the amount of times our forwards ran under the footy, we would've utterly destroyed Freo at that point if another big forward was there to help Larkey.

You put Hogan, Curnow or any other forward in there with presence, Freo are utterly gone. Reduced to atoms. They had to force the pack contest otherwise they were cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back