Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
You hope none of these rumours are true (Dumont, Hewett)

If they are it shows the club is desperate to crawl back into that 7th-12th spot where a possible finals appearance remains on the agenda each year at least up until Round 18 or so

Last edited:
onya champ...so the club's own list managers had no idea of the top end talent in that draft eh.

"We think that we'll be able to get a potentially elite player in that top six," new Saints list manager James Gallagher explained to AAP.

“We made it clear that we didn’t move up the draft order just to secure a local South Australian, but that a player of Connor’s class was still available at pick 5 made it a very easy decision for us. The fact that he is a local South Australian is just a bonus,” said Parker.

"It would have to be pretty extraordinary," Cameron told AAP.

"We'd be crazy not to listen to opportunities but with three selections in the top six it's pretty hard to imagine why we'd want to move any of those.

"The first seven or eight players in this draft are pretty good, so our ability to walk away with three of them is pretty appealing to us."

Clubs have spoken on the record, including St Kilda list manager James Gallagher, about seeing a real gap between the top handful of picks and the latter inside the first half.

“Without being disparaging at all, we do see there being a bit of a difference between a Pick 4 or 5 or 6, and a Pick 8,” Gallagher told the Road to the Draft podcast.
the funny thing I love about posters on this board is their love for the media when it says things they like, and the disdain when it says something they don't.

There is literately a thread from some nufties on this board about how much they love Kane Cornes.

enough said.

the funny thing I love about posters on this board is their love for the media when it says things they like, and the disdain when it says something they don't.

There is literately a thread from some nufties on this board about how much they love Kane Cornes.

enough said.
The media eh. Did you even read the quotes from the very list managers themselves?. Not just one of them, multiple. So if its a choice of running with a flippy narrative by some posters here or listening to the actual people responsible for drafting kids, forgive me if i take the list managers side on how valuable it was to be in the top 7 of that draft

enough said.
Well, it was a strange post by the OP and I'm not sure if anyone else agreed with his view (and no, I CBF'ed going through the entire thread to count how many :grimacing:).

PS.
w-smiley-lol-com-bye-gif.1183843
thread - been good knowing you.

enough said.
I think you’ll find it’s the opposite?

Goodness me, I really do object to how good AFL players are discussed here. Now George Hewett - what earth has he done to draw such criticism.

That lad in 2019 was the runner up in the Bob Skilton Medal!!!! Had an injury last year but back now and a 1st 22 player for a very good side. 30 touches last week. A perfectly good AFL footballer. People turn their noses up. Jeepers

The media eh. Did you even read the quotes from the very list managers themselves?. Not just one of them, multiple. So if its a choice of running with a flippy narrative by some posters here or listening to the actual people responsible for drafting kids, forgive me if i take the list managers side on how valuable it was to be in the top 7 of that draft
Interestingly enough, there is a draft every year

Goodness me, I really do object to how good AFL players are discussed here. Now George Hewett - what earth has he done to draw such criticism.

That lad in 2019 was the runner up in the Bob Skilton Medal!!!! Had an injury last year but back now and a 1st 22 player for a very good side. 30 touches last week. A perfectly good AFL footballer. People turn their noses up. Jeepers
He's never been more than a handy piece in a top midfield group at the Swans, surely we should be aiming a bit higher?

He may have had 30 disposals last week but a mid/defender averaging 16 disposals, 2.7 tackles, 1.9 clearances, 1.1 i50's and 1.8 r50's in 2021 doesn't sound too exciting to me?

Capture.PNG

Well I had a big response all typed up and someone locked this up. Lost it all….baaaahhhhh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And remember we're talking about moving on Matt Crouch on this board, Hewett was drafted in the same year as Matt so they're similar ages and in Hewett's best year 2019 the comparison between the 2 players output is stark

MC1.PNG
MC2.PNG

Last edited:
He's never been more than a handy piece in a top midfield group at the Swans, surely we should be aiming a bit higher?

He may have had 30 disposals last week but a mid/defender averaging 16 disposals, 2.7 tackles, 1.9 clearances, 1.1 i50's and 1.8 r50's in 2021 doesn't sound too exciting to me?

View attachment 1183926
He's well an truly an upgrade on DMac, and Hewett can also do a decent job tagging.
1626946332183.png

He's well an truly an upgrade on DMac, and Hewett can also do a decent job tagging.
View attachment 1183953
Dmac won't be with us as an AFL player next year though I certainly wouldn't completely rule him out of being offered an auxiliary position with his past record.

View attachment 1183926
Ok I’ll try again. Bad timing before I guess.

What I wanted to say is that not every player is exciting. I see a few on here potting Matty Crouch for not running both ways. Well young Hewett is what a 2 way runner actually looks like. I reckon old Johnny Longmire knows a bit about footy, and not even 2 years ago he reckoned George was the 2nd best player he had. That to me - says a hell of a lot.

Now the last thing I want to do is argue with you - you’re my favourite bloke here. I just see a local boy go that goes to a damned good club and makes a success of a career - and people think he’s no good. He’s coming up to 100 games, served his apprenticeship with distinction and now we see games like 30 touches, 6 tackles and 7 clearances last week end against a good midfield. Good for him, and apart from Matty Crouch, he’d be the best midfielder at the Crows.

I guess I always see things from their view - now I don’t know him from a bar of soap - but Imagine your kid 1. Got drafted 2. Played 100 games and 3 was runner up in the Skilton. You’d be pretty bloody proud.

Enough from me !

Ok I’ll try again. Bad timing before I guess.

What I wanted to say is that not every player is exciting. I see a few on here potting Matty Crouch for not running both ways. Well young Hewett is what a 2 way runner actually looks like. I reckon old Johnny Longmire knows a bit about footy, and not even 2 years ago he reckoned George was the 2nd best player he had. That to me - says a hell of a lot.

Now the last thing I want to do is argue with you - you’re my favourite bloke here. I just see a local boy go that goes to a damned good club and makes a success of a career - and people think he’s no good. He’s coming up to 100 games, served his apprenticeship with distinction and now we see games like 30 touches, 6 tackles and 7 clearances last week end against a good midfield. Good for him, and apart from Matty Crouch, he’d be the best midfielder at the Crows.

I guess I always see things from their view - now I don’t know him from a bar of soap - but Imagine your kid 1. Got drafted 2. Played 100 games and 3 was runner up in the Skilton. You’d be pretty bloody proud.

Enough from me !
Nobody said Hewett is no good that I recall he's just not the type of player we should be targeting if we're bringing in a player, we need a game-breaker type in our midfield, Hewett, Dumont, Dunstan and even Matt Crouch are not that but IMO of those 4 Crouch is the better player.

Nobody said Hewett is no good, he's just not the type of player we should be targeting if we're bringing in a player, we need a game-breaker type in our midfield, Hewett, Dumont, Dunstan and even Matt Crouch are not that but IMO of those 4 Crouch is the better player.
No question about that.

I was more just defending the player than anything else.

You hope none of these rumours are true (Dumont, Hewett)

If they are it shows the club is desperate to crawl back into that 7th-12th spot where a possible finals appearance remains on the agenda each year at least up until Round 18 or so

That is exactly where we're at. Even this year selection has been about staying as high on the ladder as possible rather than wearing a slightly lesser (at worst) performance and getting a block of games into kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back