Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
The thing I'm pinning my hopes on is that we've cleared the decks

We'd surely not be clearing all that cap space for no reason

Yep, the moving on of Talia and Lynch was not just about playing the kids, the hard stance with Matt too.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why is that relevant? Let's not talk individual players here, they identify needs, chase players that fit, and get the deal done, while we're over here doing none of that
You said "You win some, you lose some, fact is they've had a shitload more wins than us", how can we lose if we didn't chase them, hence my response? They also chased Merrett who would have been a big get and more a need then Dawson but lose and I would argue Ryder wasn't a need as this set back Lobbe who had a breakout season and they just re-signed on a big contract, Rockliff wasn't a need as they already had a lot of inside midfielders and Fantasia wasn't a need as they already had Rozee who had a very poor season and Lycett wasn't a need as they had Ryder coming back that season.

The thing I'm pinning my hopes on is that we've cleared the decks

We'd surely not be clearing all that cap space for no reason

It's certainly possible it's just because of our youth. Talia? Butts and Murray stepped up in his absence, and both look like serious prospects in their own right. Lynch? Happens to be in the way of two of our more impressive prospects in Cook and Gollant, and Cook in particular is rumoured to be jostling with Thilthorpe as our most talented kid. Kelly? Is a pretty unnecessary player and we have a few options to replace him in McPherson, Worrell, Doedee, Frampton even.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's more misses than hits in that list.
Agree, posters here think they are very success in trading for needs (hence Tredrea comment about them chasing Merrett that Port Power "always" get the player they are after). Misdirected media rubbish, a majority of those players they seem to recruit anyone who wanted to join them.

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sam Edmund going with Port as well, best indicator yet that the Crows have landed him
We all know Sam Edmund was the first to run with Balme being appointed as Adelaide new Head of Football

He got that wrong on 2 accounts

1. NO appointment, and
2. If Balme was coming, it was not Head of Football

NOW Sam says be got "Bum Information".... what does that actually mean

Does it mean he got it from bugfooty, or from an unreliable source, or from someone that wasn't a direct source, or that he did ZERO fact checking?????

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Yep, the moving on of Talia and Lynch was not just about playing the kids, the hard stance with Matt too.
And Kelly

I know I'm a hopeless optimist but I think we're landing something decent this trade period

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It's certainly possible it's just because of our youth. Talia? Butts and Murray stepped up in his absence, and both look like serious prospects in their own right. Lynch? Happens to be in the way of two of our more impressive prospects in Cook and Gollant, and Cook in particular is rumoured to be jostling with Thilthorpe as our most talented kid. Kelly? Is a pretty unnecessary player and we have a few options to replace him in McPherson, Worrell, Doedee, Frampton even.
Regardless of the reasoning it frees up a heap of cap space

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think in the past we've underestimated just how much we've been paying some absolute spuds to play for us

The thing is, you don't have to be overpaying people by much for it to add up in a squad of 40. If you're overpaying the bottom ten players in your best 22 by $50k each that's $500k. Fix that up, and take out two poor performers on $250k each and you've got a million bucks to play with.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The thing is, you don't have to be overpaying people by much for it to add up in a squad of 40.
Yep

Overpay one guy and you have to match his equals in order to maintain fairness.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I assume there is some legal reason this couldn't be done, but I'd love to see us add a clause into every single contract that says a small portion (say 10%?) of a player's salary is tied to last year's ladder position (only kicks in after at least one year on the list, obviously). Then if we have a good year everyone earns a bit more as a reward. If we have a bad year, everyone earns a bit less, and we free up some cap space to chase whatever was missing in our squad.

Hell, I'd be happy if the AFL instituted it as a league-wide policy. Would help with equalisation.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep

Overpay one guy and you have to match his equals in order to maintain fairness.

It's easy to get into it, too. We want to reward loyalty, we want to keep a group together, let's just flick an extra $50k his way. And all the others in our best 22. Next thing you know you've essentially blocked out the equivalent of one or two extra gun players. It's a genuine problem with squad sizes so large.

Even more so if you're paying any kind of cash for depth players who barely get on the field.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I assume there is some legal reason this couldn't be done, but I'd love to see us add a clause into every single contract that says a small portion (say 10%?) of a player's salary is tied to last year's ladder position (only kicks in after at least one year on the list, obviously). Then if we have a good year everyone earns a bit more as a reward. If we have a bad year, everyone earns a bit less, and we free up some cap space to chase whatever was missing in our squad.

Hell, I'd be happy if the AFL instituted it as a league-wide policy. Would help with equalisation.
Great idea to have team-success benchmarks trigger pay bonuses instead of individual ones (games played, B&F results etc). We fly as one after all

I think in the past we've underestimated just how much we've been paying some absolute spuds to play for us

I bet ROB is on big money.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
That can't be right. There would have to be tiers.
Yes, but the tiers get more than other clubs by spreading the salary cap across the group, hence the captain will earn the most but this is only $800K which is low compared to other club who have players earning $900-1M and they aren't even the captain. Even Geelong has gone away from this system because of FA, we will need too as well.

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues
You said "You win some, you lose some, fact is they've had a shitload more wins than us", how can we lose if we didn't chase them, hence my response? They also chased Merrett who would have been a big get and more a need then Dawson but lose and I would argue Ryder wasn't a need as this set back Lobbe who had a breakout season and they just re-signed on a big contract, Rockliff wasn't a need as they already had a lot of inside midfielders and Fantasia wasn't a need as they already had Rozee who had a very poor season and Lycett wasn't a need as they had Ryder coming back that season.

They couldn't miss with Lycett as he requested a move back after the GF win and it was only to them - he played all his junior footy in a magpies jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back