Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Do we count Wayne Carey? Was a great player, just not any more by the time we got our hands on him.
As a fail? Absolutely. Was a desperate trade. The guy couldn't lift his arms above his shoulders, then missed a year of footy, then we recruited him.
No two ways about it, in hindsight, it was a bad decision.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We don’t seriously believe they hadn’t had discussions with Fantasia before then though do we ?
He almost went there the year before if you recall.
Davies manages the media to help Ports image as the destination team in SA. Track record also shows he is correct

I think Dawson signature is very important for us. Excluding Betts and Gibbs I can’t recall us recruiting a locked in top 10 player for their club for aeons. It doesn’t happen. We do well with Moneyball trades - Lynch Jacobs Jenkins Keays - but players that are expected to walk in and be in the best players most weeks doesn’t happen.

Probably because we are tight and don’t “overpay”. Interestingly the two players we did get we overpaid for (people claimed)

Given attracting class will be key to a short rebuild Dawson is the first line in the sand

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But how often do locked in top 10 players leave any club? And when they do it's usually to a Melbourne club. The number that have come on the market and been willing to come to SA and would actually have fit a need is fairly slim.

Port have a "destination club" image because they bring in a bunch of players, but as often as not it's just bringing in anybody willing to come. The footy world raved about their 2017 trade week because they brought in Rockliff, Watts and Motlop. Following this recruiting spree, they went and finished 10th the following season. Because they brought in a bunch of guys who were willing to come but didn't seem to be fitting any real needs to improve their team. The ones that stand out are ones that are filling actual gaps - Aliir this year, Ryder was probably another one.

If you want to look at what Port does better than us, I wouldn't be looking at who they bring in, but rather their willingness to trade guys out while they have value. Shipping out guys like Wingard and Polec while their value was pretty much at its peak and before free agency. Meanwhile we desperately cling to guys who (admittedly, with hindsight) we would have been better off letting walk to the big money offers from other clubs (eg Jenkins to Brisbane 2016, Mackay to Melbourne circa 2012 spring to mind).

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
You had Sam Gibson on your "fail" list wasn't he delisted by the Kangaroos and rookied by us the same as Keays?

I just checked it was pick 91 but I was certain the Roos delisted him?

I think the Roos had told him he was being delisted. Maybe hadn't actually done the paperwork yet? Not sure why we did it that way - I don't think we lost any free agents that period, so no compensation to dilute. But pick 91 wouldn't have got used anyway, so maybe this was just quicker / easier than waiting for him to get officially delisted before picking him up as a DFA. Or maybe the rules were somehow different back then? I can't recall.

You had Sam Gibson on your "fail" list wasn't he delisted by the Kangaroos and rookied by us the same as Keays?

I just checked it was pick 91 but I was certain the Roos delisted him, don't know what the go was there?

He was delisted but we traded for him before the delisting deadline to get to our club sooner

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe not in recent times but we've actually traded in some pretty decent talent over time.
Darren Jarman
Scott Thompson
Scott Welsh
Tony Hall
Nathan Bassett
Matthew Tobran
Ronnie Burns
Kris Massie
Matt Connell
Peter Caven
Jason Torney
Matthew Bode
Matthew Clarke
Mark Stevens
Troy Bond
Kym Koster
Sam Jacobs
Tom Lynch
Josh Jenkins
Eddie Betts

And I've probably missed a few.

Totally agree we have recruited well over the years. My key point though is not many in the last 10-12 years have been established players.
Lynch wasn’t getting a game
Jenkins was a fringe player at best
Jacobs had only a handful of games but was emerging
Keays was delisted
Hinge not getting a game
Hateley not established

Betts and Gibbs were the only two established players in the guaranteed selection at their club ranks. Seedsman had been in and out, Hampton the same

Certainly not all bad but I think we have cut so deep into the list and so many of the young guys are still unknowns when an opportunity for a quality player in the right age group comes along we need to be aggressive

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
Last decade of trading. Not pretty viewing

Successes
Lynch
Jenkins*
Betts
Seedsman

*not that good but played long term

Fails
Johnston
Graham
Podsiadly*
Cheney*
Lowden
Gore
Hampton
Menzel
Gibbs
Gibson
Stengle
Frampton

*not that bad but didn't offer much long term

Still to be Determined
McAdam
Hinge

Betts was a FA and Hinge a DFA, so not really trades. If you are going to include those then you should be including Keays, Crocker, Hately, maybe some others.

Betts was a FA and Hinge a DFA, so not really trades. If you are going to include those then you should be including Keays, Crocker, Hately, maybe some others.

To be more accurate it's all trades and free agents. Had to at least include free agents or the list looks even worse

Keays and Crocker both taken in the rookie draft, Hately in the pre-season draft. Drafted players don't count

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
To be more accurate it's all trades and free agents.

Keays and Crocker both taken in the rookie draft, Hately in the pre-season draft. Drafted players don't count

I am well aware of the difference, I'm saying you should probably say Trading and Free Agency in your post.

By my count the last good, established, highly rated player that we traded for and that the losing club desperately wanted to keep was Scott Thompson in 2004

Lynch, Jenkins, Jacobs - not established
Gibbs - not good
Betts, Seedsman - not wanted

If we get Dawson that would be only the second player of that criteria we've traded in, in 18 years

The demise of our trading (which was decent prior to that) coincides with the rise of Neil Craig as coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back