Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaKids

All Australian
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the AFL players association have had him in their U22 team of the year for the second time running - so he can't be as bad or 'meh' as some around here are painting imo
Oh he’s a good footballer there’s no question about that. Superb kick of the ball. As I understand it though it’s the cost to trade him in v the role he’s playing. That role could be the reason he’s not as highly valued by his coaches not sure.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It might be more about us doing contingency plans. ie if JHF somehow slipped through, we have an agreement in place to trade with GC to ensure we get him.
It could just be as simple as that.
Yeah i thought that, but then the article went on to say North are firming for Horne. So he pretty much killed that line of thought as well

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Yeah i thought that, but then the article went on to say North are firming for Horne. So he pretty much killed that line of thought as well
Yeh I think it is highly unlikely. It could be about Callaghan just as much.

Ultimately I don't think we will trade pick 4 before the draft. We might wait to see who is available at pick 3 and use the contingency plan, if not, then trade down and split pick 4. Both are most likely on draft night.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mutineer suggested previously that Cook could perhaps take the Lynch high half forward role. That would obviously free up Luko for the wing. Or, maybe Luko could take that Lynch role. He'd be very dangerous there.

I guess ultimately, Luko is talented enough that you find a role for him. I just don't know if he would move us in 3 years time from top 8 to top 4
McHenry seems to be fitting nicely as that connector between midfield and the forward line. I don't think Ned is a pure mid.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Would people be happy with pick 4 and future 1st for Luko and Rankine. I would be. Makes us instantly better.

Absolutely not.

Rankine hasn't regained any of the spark he had before his serious hamstring injury, and often looks disinterested out there.

Luko, although an absolutely beautiful kick, was drafted with such a high draft pick on the premise he would become a leading KPF, and has not looked like replicating his performances as a junior in that position at all. Doesn't seem to want to build that sort of bulk, and has been sent to the backline where all failed KPF's seem to go, where he is playing reasonable footy.

If we're looking to trade both of them this year, it's on the CHANCE they'll both take their finger out and elevate themselves to the next level, and i'm certainly not coughing up high 1st rounders for both players being an unknown quantity.

I'd prefer to have a crack at them next year for a few reasons:
1) They'd both be out of contract, so gives GC less leverage with a trade
2) It gives us another year to have a look at their performances
3) We'd be trading them in at a time when Port will be looking at tying up their own stars in Rozee, Butter and Duursma when they come out of contract, and a salary cap squeeze will start to become a bit more of a reality for them. Puts the focus on us if they nominate SA as a trade destination.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeh I think it is highly unlikely. It could be about Callaghan just as much.

Ultimately I don't think we will trade pick 4 before the draft. We might wait to see who is available at pick 3 and use the contingency plan, if not, then trade down and split pick 4. Both are most likely on draft night.
Agreed, that's the smart play.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
McHenry seems to be fitting nicely as that connector between midfield and the forward line. I don't think Ned is a pure mid.
Yeh I think Ned is the role that Riley Knight used to have. The hard running small forward, that pushes up the ground. I like what he has shown in this.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I'd pay a future first round pick for both Rankine and Lukosius combined. Nothing more. Rankine is basically steak knives/salary dump in that deal at the moment
Why would the suns give them both up for a future first?.. they are contracted for another season. Might as well just wait till then and maybe hope you change their minds.

the only way we get either or both of these two this year is if they themselves request to be traded.

if they do then you can be sure the port flogs will also be sticking their noses in and sniffing around.

we would need to move quickly and hestitating and masturbating over the cost of the trade because we want our cake and to eat it too would only end up in tears.

if one or both of these lads does ask for a trade home during the up and coming trade period.. the Suns will hold the upper hand unfortunately… and make the crows, or port, pay up..

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Mutineer suggested previously that Cook could perhaps take the Lynch high half forward role. That would obviously free up Luko for the wing. Or, maybe Luko could take that Lynch role. He'd be very dangerous there.

I guess ultimately, Luko is talented enough that you find a role for him. I just don't know if he would move us in 3 years time from top 8 to top 4
Spot on, don't worry about Muzza.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cal Twomey says Crows are interested in moving up to pick to pick 3

"RICHMOND and Adelaide are among the clubs interested in Gold Coast's pick No.3 with the Suns open to splitting the selection for multiple top picks."

Wonder who we have our eye one there?

bad news for swans supporters thinking they're a chance to get it with 12 and Dawson coming to us. Or trade down with tigers to get 7 and 15, so they can get 15. Looks like it's 2nd rounder city for Dawson. Unless we get Dogs' first.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
bad news for swans supporters thinking they're a chance to get it with 12 and Dawson coming to us. Or trade down with tigers to get 7 and 15, so they can get 15. Looks like it's 2nd rounder city for Dawson. Unless we get Dogs' first.
Pick 23 for Dawson with a worse case of 23 and 37.
23 with Himmelberg or Frampton would be better than 23 and 37 though.

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
Yeah I saw that, what a monumental waste of draft capital it would be to move up 1 spot in the even part of the draft. It's a little early to start drinking Cal

It might be a defensive move?

If another club wants player X and we want X and GC are moving pick 3 out as they've suggested then we have to make a play for it.

Why would the suns give them both up for a future first?.. they are contracted for another season. Might as well just wait till then and maybe hope you change their minds.

the only way we get either or both of these two this year is if they themselves request to be traded.

if they do then you can be sure the port flogs will also be sticking their noses in and sniffing around.

we would need to move quickly and hestitating and masturbating over the cost of the trade because we want our cake and to eat it too would only end up in tears.

if one or both of these lads does ask for a trade home during the up and coming trade period.. the Suns will hold the upper hand unfortunately… and make the crows, or port, pay up..

I don't really care whether we get them or not, they are not that special and not of particular need.

Got no interest in overpaying and don't care at all if we don't get them next year either. First rounder for both would be a good deal for us and that's what matters.

Sep 17, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree with above.
Wingard is 28 (DOB July 1993).

My original thought was that he doesnt fit into our rebuilding phase and would take games away from younger players, however, i'm now thinking that if he came cheap tradewise (say 2nd round draft pick), then it may be a positive for the AFC in the sense that an indigenous player (and a talented one at that) has chosen to come to our Club and thus help somewhat improve our damaged reputation with the indigenous community.

He can keep his average attitude at hawthorn though..toxic as it comes.

Sep 8, 2008
argentina
AFL Club
Adelaide
fair point. it might depend on who they move on and delist etc
I know that GC need a leg up , but giving them pick 19 this draft is unfair. They already have access to the best NT players . Throw in pick 3 this year. How much young talent do they need to waste.

Pick 19 should be removed from them .

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Murphy has a knack of getting in the way of his team mates and going for marks as though he is a key position forward. ...
Not sure this is fair on Murph - this has been an oft criticism of Murph (and others in the past like Betts, I think) but I think this has been the result of ill directed, high bombs into our forward line.

Most of the time, this catches our KPFs out of position and it is our fast speedy shorter players who manage to get to the fall of the ball and is then a choice of going for the mark like a KPF, or let the opposition defender have an uncontested mark.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I saw that, what a monumental waste of draft capital it would be to move up 1 spot in the even part of the draft. It's a little early to start drinking Cal
Guess it depends on how much it costs us to do that - if it doesn't cost us too much, we could do that and GC can still on trade pick 4 and make out like bandits.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon we must have our eye on bulldogs pick 17, we could get that with some early seconds. (Though FWIW I reckon bulldogs hate us and wont do any trade that helps us).

If we get that, then we still might be able to get 3 and 19 from GC even with richmond competing with us, might even be able to get 22 from them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back