Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let’s sssume we jag another player on top of Dawson and have to use our early picks, rather than drafting spuds late we could just upgrade Keays and Butts
Yes, if we have room.

Thing is we'll end up having pick 6. The history of that pick isn't so good.
2000: Dylan Smith (North Melbourne) – 21 games
2001: Ashley Sampi (West Coast) – 78 games
2002: Steven Salopek (Port Adelaide) – 121 games
2003: Kepler Bradley (Essendon) – 117 games
2004: Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs) – 85 games
2005: Beau Dowler (Hawthorn) – 16 games
2006: Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn) – 2 games
2007: David Myers (Essendon) – 116 games
2008: Chris Yarran (Carlton) – 119 games
2009: Gary Rohan (Sydney) – 106 games
2010: Reece Conca (Richmond) – 104 games
2011: Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide) – 147 games
2012: Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs) – 118 games
2013: Matthew Scharenberg (Collingwood) – 31 games
2014: Caleb Marchbank (GWS) – 35 games
2015: Aaron Francis (Essendon) – 10 games
2016: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carlton) – 42 games
2017: Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood) – 26 games

Better recently, with
Ben King
Fischer McAsey
Denver -Grainger Barrads

Sloane front ended, so he's unlikely to be on that much, Walker wouldn't be either.

Eh? There is little to no chance Sloane is front ended. We were built to be a challenger when we signed him.

Mmmm Luko or Rankine (not both.gif)

I personally love Rankine's attitude on field, he seems to see the game differently - most extras have a little bit of nasty. I'd have a real shot at him while his stocks are down.

Luko has lots of nice attributes, but I'm not as in love with his attack on the contest. What do you pay? I cannot imagine either coming cheap but Luko will cost way more. Trade wise you have to look at a young player with potential to give up - Sholl? Berry? Schoenberg? Fog? Thilthorpe? That is the level of player that Luko would demand in a trade. I'm not keen on giving up ANY of them! It would cost at least pick 4 + a future to get him in a pick based trade. Probably more.

Imo, if we are going to sell the farm - do it for Horne-Francis.

Last edited:
Thing is we'll end up having pick 6. The history of that pick isn't so good.
Ben King, Jaidyn Stevenson, Jack Macrae, Chad Wingard go ok.

SPS, Aaron Francis & Caleb Marchbank, Reece Conca & Gary Rohan still playing but disappointing for #6.

Matthew Scharenberg cruelled by injury.

Rest to early to say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumours floating around Facebook of all places that Port are considering offering Talia a contract.

They can't have McKenzie on the big tall forwards and if Talia's body is ok he'll been a handy pick up to allow Alir Alir to do his 'thing'
Those rumours have been around for a week at least.

Port should consider him.

Rumours floating around Facebook of all places that Port are considering offering Talia a contract.

They can't have McKenzie on the big tall forwards and if Talia's body is ok he'll been a handy pick up to allow Alir Alir to do his 'thing'

Happy for Daniel if he can get another pay day.

lot of risk involved
I think draft picks are incredibly overrated here, endless potential when it's a nameless player and just a pick.

Soon as that pick becomes a name - Lukious (pick 2), Rankine (pick 3) and Hollands (pick 7) they're suddenly lucky to land a late first round pick, require to be bundled and still not worth it according to many here.

Like I can see the value dropping somewhat as they haven't lived up to the crazy hype given to them pre draft but they're only a few years into the system in a team that has been relatively poor too which always makes it harder for young talent to shine.

It's a shame clubs don't value these guys like posters do as we could be getting some real bargains.

I think draft picks are incredibly overrated here, endless potential when it's a nameless player and just a pick.

Soon as that pick becomes a name - Lukious (pick 2), Rankine (pick 3) and Hollands (pick 7) they're suddenly lucky to land a late first round pick, require to be bundled and still not worth it according to many here.

Like I can see the value dropping somewhat as they haven't lived up to the crazy hype given to them pre draft but they're only a few years into the system in a team that has been relatively poor too which always makes it harder for young talent to shine.

It's a shame clubs don't value these guys like posters do as we could be getting some real bargains.

that’s because clubs are flying blind in terms of what these guys are really like.

they know 50x more about these players 1 month after drafting them than they do before

the amount of players value that is unknown peaks at draft day, after that all the unknown potential starts to convert into more and more knowns

Dear God

that’s because clubs are flying blind in terms of what these guys are really like.

they know 50x more about these players 1 month after drafting them than they do before

the amount of players value that is unknown peaks at draft day, after that all the unknown potential starts to convert into more and more knowns
Looking at 2018 which was the 'superdraft', the top 10 - Walsh, Lukosius, Rankine, King, Rozee, King, Smith, Thomas, Jones and Blakey.

I've seen quite a few on here say that both Kings are overate which when you add Lukosius and Rankine we're at 4 of the top 6 being overrated. That's also excluding Rozee who had a great first season but slowed down since. Really, outside of Smith and Walsh I'd say most would be willing to go with the unknown draft pick.

Similar things would be said about the 2019 draftees too. Personally I think many are too quick to make a call on top end talent but equally, how overrated draft picks are when the players lose value so fast when entering the system.

Looking at 2018 which was the 'superdraft', the top 10 - Walsh, Lukosius, Rankine, King, Rozee, King, Smith, Thomas, Jones and Blakey.

I've seen quite a few on here say that both Kings are overate which when you add Lukosius and Rankine we're at 4 of the top 6 being overrated. That's also excluding Rozee who had a great first season but slowed down since. Really, outside of Smith and Walsh I'd say most would be willing to go with the unknown draft pick.

Similar things would be said about the 2019 draftees too. Personally I think many are too quick to make a call on top end talent but equally, how overrated draft picks are when the players lose value so fast when entering the system.

whats your point?

2018 was a great draft pick 1-8; but what does that have to do with the fact that a players value radically changes the moment he is drafted. For good or bad?

If you KNEW how good the first 8 selected were, do you think our Pick 9
Selection was worth more on the open market before or after it became Chayce (looks like he might make it now) Jones?

whats your point?

2018 was a great draft pick 1-8; but what does that have to do with the fact that a players value radically changes the moment he is drafted. For good or bad?

If you KNEW how good the first 8 selected were, do you think our Pick 9
Selection was worth more on the open market before or after it became Chayce (looks like he might make it now) Jones?
My point is draft picks are incredibly overrated on here.

You've said yourself, that a players value greatly changes within a short window of them being drafted and as I've pointed out, a super draft of 2018 and most on here would have 60-70% of the top 10 worth less than they originally were.

You have someone saying they might think about giving up pick 4 for Rankine and Holland and you mentioning there's a lot of risk involved but as soon as we convert our pick 4 to a player, there's a high probability that their value instantly decreases just as much.

King boys are doing great

You've said yourself, that a players value greatly changes within a short window of them being drafted and as I've pointed out, a super draft of 2018 and most on here would have 60-70% of the top 10 worth less than they originally were.

You have someone saying they might think about giving up pick 4 for Rankine and Holland and you mentioning there's a lot of risk involved but as soon as we convert our pick 4 to a player, there's a high probability that their value instantly decreases just as much.
Isn’t that like saying a lottery ticket is overrated? Well I guess it depends who you ask!

You KNOW what you are getting with Hollands and Rankine

I’m just not sure there is that much to like. Hollands with injury, what’s his attitude like?

an unused lottery ticket has more promise than an expired meh winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back